HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #21
michka

Re: Bad Pet. I need you.

Hi Sarah. Thank you so much for asking around you. I saw my onc today. It was strange. He kept looking at the Pet/Scan and said he wanted a scan next week and that then we would see. He seems to question some of the spots but did not say that that clearly.(Especially for the lungs(. He then said that if we can have a biopsy of a node he would ask a Dr in Gustave Roussy to do a chemo test on it plus on the slides from my last liver resection. I didn't even know they did that in France but it seems to be a sort of study in IGR in cooperation with a US hospital. I don't know more. Another week to wait. I am trying to keep my mind busy.

My original nationality? Well I am born in NY, in Sloan Hospital, from an American mother and a French father. My grandparents on my mother's side were American. My grandfather on my father's side became American before the war and my father became American just after the war towards 1946. So he was also american 10 years before I was born. My parents moved to France in 1960 when I was 3. So I learned English by speaking with my mother and I worked for american cies for years.. That's why my English should be better! But after 52 years in Paris and a poor brain....

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
sarah

You're english is perfect that's why I wondered and you have an unusual and lovely name - I thought maybe Russian background.
I lived in NY for many years and loved it, what an amazing city!!!
Sounds like you are in wonderful hands regarding your cancer and that's so important.
hope the next scans are clear.
hugs and love
Sarah
ps if you get down this way, let's get together.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
gdpawel

Node Testing

Michka

The fact that your doctor would like a biopsy of a node is a positive step in the right direction, instead of more trial-and-error treatment. Tumor hormone-receptor and Her2 status can change in breast cancer patients during the course of their disease, and these changes can significantly influence survival and can completely change the patient's clinical management. Results of a 2011 European Multidisciplinary Cancer Congress study showed that there is substantial tumor instability during tumor progression.

How and what type of chemo test your doc has in mind, may have some bearing in the matter. The slides from your last liver resection may not have any affect in testing on what may be your disease now. There is the issue about cell-lines (slides) vs fresh cells. Cell-lines have always played an important role in drug screening and drug development. The problem is that cell-lines do not predict for disease or patient specific drug effects.

As a general rule, studies from established cell-lines (tumor cells that are cultured and maniplated so that they continue to divide) have not be very successful as models to predict the activity of drugs in cancer. An established cell-line is not reflective of the behavior of fresh "live" tumor samples (like from the node) in primary culture, much less in the patient. You will get different results when you test passaged cells (from cell-lines) compared to primary, fresh tumor.

My thoughts would be, do you want to utilize your tissue specimen for drug selection against your "individual" cancer cells or for mutation identification to see if you are "potentially" susceptible to a certain mechanism of attack?

Best of luck!

Greg
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
StephN

Dear Michka -
We are not happy to hear that you have those new issues to deal with. But I do like the fact that your onc wants another scan (what kind?) next week to coroborate this last one that is throwing you for a loop.

Was also thinking about a biopsy since you may have some tissue that can be gotten at for analysis. I imagine he would want the slide from your liver to compare with a new tumor biology.

There are many ways to go at these tumors, just as soon as your doctor is sure about what the scans say.

If you try for T-DM1 before you have had some other drugs, it may disqualify you from their use in future. Try to check the drug ladder for the new drugs and trials.

Certainly you feel bad for causing pain to those closest to you, but they are there for you and know that you have been fighting the NERDy cancer with all you have.

Hugs and bises.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 02-24-2012 at 07:54 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
Mtngrl

Dear Michka,

I would also hug you too if I could. I like the suggestion to think of it as "information." It doesn't mean the cancer is "winning." I'm glad you got the information and can take it from here.

There are people on this site who have beat the cancer back many times. You can too.

So disappointing. I'm sorry you are having to go through this.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
Elizabethtx

Hugs and prayers for you from Texas. The first step has been taken. You know the facts, now find the treatment! Cry a few tears, then put a step forward to betting the beast!
3.2 cm 2/18 +lymph nodes
Stage 2b; E+/P+/Her2 +++
Nottingham score grade 2
Ki67 30%
3/2010 A/C 4 DD/2wks
5/2010 Herceptin/Taxotere 4D/3wks
8/2010 Herceptin until May 2011
Tamoxifin 20mg
9/2010 RAD 34 treatments
Pet scan Aug 2010 clear
Port removed July 2011
Bone scan, chest MRI 12/11 clear
Vaccine trial began Oct 2011

Elizabethtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #27
michka

Thank you all for adding hugs and support. It makes me feel better.
Greg, thank you for your post. I learned a lot! Knowledge is important. In fact what the onc would like to do is a chemo sensitivity test. So I understand that they need fresh cells. I had a BRCA test in 2007 which was negative. The liver tumor was tested after resection last march and it was still HER2+ and ER+. So what the onc would like to do is not loose time and weaken me with chemos that have no chance to work. Greg, do we know how much chemo testing on fresh cells is reliable? And what chemo do they test? For example could they test if taxanes is an option although it did not work the first time?
Questions, questions...my head is empty. My heart is heavy.
Michka

Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #28
sarah

Hello,
just curious, where are you being treated? sounds like you're in great hands. Greg, as usual has great info
take care
love sarah
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #29
gdpawel

Chemo sensitivity testing

Michka

It's going to depend on the understanding your onc has of a chemo sensitivity test. There are DNA/RNA-type tests based on "population" research (not individuals), virtually the same as it is with tradiational trial-and-error treatment protocol. They base their predictions on the fact that a higher percentage of people with similar genetic profiles or specific mutations may "tend" to respond better to certain drugs. This is not really personalized medicine, but a refinement of statistical data. If you are okay with that, go for it!

Then there is cell-based functional profiling, which provides a window on the complexity of cellular biology in real-time, gauging tumor cell response to chemotherapies (conventional and targeted drugs). By examining drug induced cell death, functional analyses measure the cumulative result of all of a cell's mechanisms of resistance and response acting in concert. Functional profiling approximates the cancer of the "individual" not populations.

The labs vary considerably with regard to technologies, approach to testing, what they try to achieve with the testing, and cost. Some labs have been offering these assays as a non-investigational, paid service to cancer patients, in a situation where up to 30 different drugs and combinations are tested, at two drug concentrations in three different assay systems. The larger the specimen, the more drug types there are in the selective arsenal (minimum 1gm).

For these functional profiling assays to be extremely effective, they need fresh "live" tumor specimens. There are very good reasons for using fresh "live' tumor specimens and not needle biopsies for cell-based functional profiling assays. The surgical specimen is the "personalized" part of personalized cancer medicine. In the body, cells interact with and are supported by other living cells, both malignant and non-malignant cells. That is why cell-death functional profiling assays study cancer cells in small clusters, or microspheroids (microclusters).

Analysis of these microspheroids provides a snapshot of cancer's behavior within the human body and provides a more accurate representation of how cancer cells are likely to respond to treatment in the clinic. It will be indicative of what will happen in the human body.

There is no manipulation of isolated cancer cells to make them grow, which was an important point of distinction with earlier cell-growth assays.

Real-life cancers grow as a complex organism that includes both malignant and non-malignant components. It may include fibrous tissue, mesothelial cells, fibroblasts, endothelial cells, etc.

In order to exhibit its most characteristic behavior patterns, a cancer cell needs to be surrounded by a colony of other cells, both normal and malignant.

Human tumors represent micro-ecosystems composed of transformed cells, stroma, fibroblasts, vascular elements, extra-cellular protein matrices and inflammatory elements.

The behavior of human cancers and their reponse to therapy reflect the complex interplay between humoral, vascular, adhesion and cytokine-mediated events acting in concert.

Tumors are very complex organisms. Ignoring this complexity, most studies of human cancer in culture have focused upon individual tumor cells that have been removed from their complex microenvironoment.

Cells are routinely broken up by mechanical and enzymatic means, which alters their subsequent behavior. Some previous methods of assays limited their analysis only to isolated tumor cells and failed to incorporate the crucial contribution of non-tumorous elements to the cancer phenomenon.

When allowed to grow in vitro, living cancer cells develop into these tiny micro-spheroid clusters that form a complex biosystem in which each malignant cell reacts upon its fellow colonists in subtle but important ways.

Each of these microspheres contains all the complex elements of tumor biosytems that are found in the human body and which can impact clinical reponse.

In short, it is a complex and thorough analysis. Not many medical oncologists understand it. Don't know if your onc does. Perhaps though, he/she does! The fact the he/she would like to do a chemo sensitivity test and not loose more valuable time and weaken you with ineffective chemotherapy, is a good sign.

Don't know whether he/she intends to ship a specimen stateside or use one of the European labs. All of the labs are experienced and capable of providing very useful information.

Greg
Old 02-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
Rich66

If the onc is using pursuing a test of chemos on live cells (chemosensitivity as opposed to characteristics), my understanding is that the ordering oncologist picks from a list of available agents..this may be guided by the lab supervisor also. Unfortunately, the size of the tumor sample typically limits the number of chemos that can be tried. Since it's a test at a given point in the disease, I think it's important to focus on agents that you could actually gain access to...not investigational drugs with unknown timeline for availablity. Another issue in terms of not wasting time i.e. thinking ahead is that for actual chemosensitivity/functional profiling tests, they usually want a few weeks off therapy to prevent confounding test results.
For best feedback here, it would be good to find out exactly what test/lab your onc is considering.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #31
michka

Thank you Greg. More information to understand. First as Rich pointed out a simple biopsy may not be enough. They would have to take out some piece of tumor somewhere. I will have to wait next week to see what is reachable. Then if it is a long process I may not want to wait but I do not know. The place where it could be done is Institut Gustave Roussy which is a very big cancer and research center. For now I am trying to find a place in France or in Europe where they have a TDM1 trial but I have not found one yet. On the US site for Clinical Trials the TDM1 ones indicate no foreign locations but I just started looking and my brain is not working very fast. Michka

Old 02-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
gdpawel

Good point Rich. Patients' patterns of sensitivity and resistance do not change in the absence of intervening chemotherapy. And even after a patient fails a previous chemotherapy treatment, the test still can be done once a patient waits at least four weeks. If proper protocol is followed, evaluability rates are very high. Greater than 95% of all specimens submitted produce clinically useful results.

Rather than mixing and matching approved drugs, assayists have used combinations designed to work in tandem to block cancer. Twenty years of work on the human genome has helped illuminate the intertwined mechanisms of cancer. Scientists are beginning to understand the cellular and genetic links among different disease pathways. As a result, the FDA is ready to allow innovative testing of drug cocktails.

Among the most sought after attributes of chemotherapy drug combinations is drug synergy. Synergy, defined as supra-additivity wherein the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, reflects an elegant interaction between drugs predicated on their modes of action. While some synergistic interactions can be predicted based upon the pharmacology of the agents, others are more obscure.

The application of synergy analyses may represent one of the most important applications of the functional profiling platform, enabling clinicians to explore both anticipated and unanticipated favorable interactions. Equally important may be the platform's capacity to study drug antagonism wherein two effective drugs counteract each others' benefits. This phenomenon, characterized by the whole being less than the sum of the parts, represents a major pitfall for clinical trialists who simply combine drugs because they can.

Going after a surgical/biopsy specimen has a role in eliminating ineffective agents and avoid unnecessary toxicity and in directing "correct" therapy. Patients benefit both in terms of response and survival from drugs and drug combinations found to be "active" in assays even after treatment failure with several other drugs, many of which are in the same class, and even with combinations of drugs found to have low or no activity as single agents but which are found in the assay to produce a synergistic and not merely an additive anti-tumor effect.

There would be a huge advantage to the patient to receive a "positive/sensitive" drug, compared to a "negative/resistant" drug. As I stated before, the time and energy required to conduct an excisional biopsy pales in comparison to the time, energy and lost opportunities associated with months of ineffective, toxic therapy.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
gdpawel

Michka

Yes! The Institut Gustave Roussy signed a license agreement with ExonHit a few years ago for a novel breast cancer "diagnostic" assay. The "diagnostic" value of this new signature allows for the discrimination between malignant tumors and benign lesions from cells sampled through find-needle aspiration.

And they are using cell-death assays for "drug discovery." It may be helpful to use a form of chemosensitivity testing, which is based upon the measurement of actual cancer cell death. The results of cell death endpoints (point of termination) agree with each other pretty well with hematologic and lymphatic neoplasms (non-solid cancers).

As for using cell-death assays for "drug selection," here is a contact email for Dr. Andrew Bosanquet, Bath. Dr. Bosanquet has a list of labs in Europe.

agb.scientist@gmail.com

Here is a contact email for Dr. Ian Cree, Queen Alexandra Hospital. He does the ATP cell-death assay.

ian.cree@porthosp.nhs.uk

You can also ship tumor specimens via FedEx or World Courier to any of the labs in the United States.

Best of luck on your endeavors!

Greg
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #34
schoonder

Michka following links show sites where t-dm1 are looking for participants.
Marianne phaseIII trial - 1st line MBC
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...ow_locs=Y#locn

Emilia phaseIII trial - 2nd line MBC

T-DM1 vs physician's choice - 3rd line MBC

A phaseI about to get underway
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...tansine&rank=1

Looking with search key "t-dm1" or "emtansine" in http:/www.clinicaltrials.gov repository will show number of still active trials.

Hope this helps.
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #35
Rich66

Greg,
I think you meant fine needle aspiration.
Are they somehow able to get enough cells for chemosensitivity testing that way?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #36
gdpawel

Rich

Thanks! Fine-needle aspiration, as in trying to fine-needle my way through reading glasses that need cleaning, badly. I put the word "diagnostic" in quotes in regards to fine-needle aspiration. A fine-needle aspiration does not preserve the histological architecture of the tissue cells, needed for "drug selection." An incisional biopsy or core biopsy (tru-cut) preserves the histological architecture of the tissue cells.

Greg
Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #37
krisvell

Hi Michka;
So sorry to read that you did not receive a good report. The Stage IV ladies including you give me great hope and inspiration. It sounds like you have many options which is WONDERFUL. I pray that you stand up and brush yourself off and start fighting, So far, you have done well. You can do it again.
Love & Hugs,
Kris,,,,
10/07/09 - Finished Chemo
10/27/09 - Mastectomy RB
Path Report: RB No residual tumor pCR,
2 of 15 pos - .5mm largest micromets
12/18/09 - Radiation started (28)
02/05/10 - Finished Radiation
01/11/10 - Started Femara
06/22/10 - Finished Herceptin.. My son's 22nd BD. Hope it's a sign! Hoping for the best.
11/15/10 - Started Walter Reed BC Vaccine trial at
1/04/11 - Sibley Mem. Had to withdraw due to met
01/23/11 - Stage IV - Brain Met 1.6cm 1.7cm
02/03/11 - Gamma Knife (2 fracts to minmize necrosis)
03/01/11 - Gamma Knife
6/11 - Necrosis
7/11 - Necrosis stopped & Tumor progression
8/11 = Now think it's really necrosis
9/11 - Avastin every two weeks -- It's working!! Necrosis is shrinking.
12/11 - Necrosis gone AVASTIN worked.
12/11 - Bone &CT found

Oct '10 - Ran Hartford 1/2 Marathon to Thank Dr. Slamon for Herceptin!
krisvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #38
Rich66

Ok..so Greg..you are essentially saying the test Michka is being offered where she is at is not a true chemosensitivity test? Sometimes less detail is more at the patient end
Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
gdpawel

Rich

They are using a cell-death assay for diagnostics and drug discovery, not necessarily for drug selection. If they are using fine-needle aspiration for drug selection, then the histological architecture of the tissue cells will not be preserved, making for less accuracy in the testing.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #40
Rich66

What do you mean by "drug discovery"?