HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
rosie

Question To Joe or anyone, ? about Court of Appeals

There was a ruling in the US Court of Appeals on 5/2 ( the case was Abigail Alliance versus Eschenbach )that said that the FDA must allow terminal patients ( ie those with no other options and less than a year to live ) the same access to experimental drugs that have been proven safe as other patients. Not doing so will infringe on their right to choose and is a violation of part of the 5th amendment. This would be terrific for people who cannot enter anything but early phase 1 trials where they are looking at dose and toxicity not whether the drugs work because they are told they have had too much treatment.

I am told that the FDA has filed yet another appeal on this.

Does anyone know about this and have any ideas how to make use of it? I am told the ruling is tenuous pending the appeal.
rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
madubois63

Don't have an answer, but thank you for posting. When I am up to it, I will research and see what I can find.
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
LovingDaughter

Do you know what circuit this came out of? If you can find any more information at all, I should be able to pull this opinion.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
LovingDaughter

Nevermind. Here's the link to the opinion in case you would like to read it: http://pacer.cadc.uscourts.gov/docs/...5/04-5350a.pdf
Old 06-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
LovingDaughter

In this case, the D.C. Circuit reversed the trial court's ruling that threw the plaintiffs' case out on a Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim upon which relief could be granted. In direct contradiction to the trial court's ruling, the D.C. circuit concluded that the right asserted by the plaintiffs warrants protection as a fundamental right under the Fifth Amendment Due Process Clause (which applies to the federal government). Ultimately, the court held that the FDA's policy is only constitutional if it can meet the strict scrutiny standard--that is, the FDA must prove that its policy is narrowly tailored to serve a compelling interest--and remanded the case to the trial court for this determination. We won't know a whole lot about where this is going until the trial court makes this determination and until the case is appealed.

I can tell you this, however: Strict scrutiny is a very high standard to meet--in fact, in constitutional law terms, it is the highest standard applied. Rational basis is the lowest standard. If a court reviews a law under the rational basis standard, the plaintiff bears the burden of proof and the government must have a simple and basic basis for the law, and almost any rationale asserted will do. Intermediate scrutiny is a mid-level scrutiny--the court will look slightly more closely to the law to determine if the government is overstepping. Strict scrutiny applies when a fundamental right is involved. Apparently, the the D.C. Circuit has said that a fundamental right is involved in this case. Instead of the plaintiff having the burden of proof, the government bears the burden of proof. The government often loses cases in which strict scrutiny applies. If the US Supreme Court were to review this case and rule in favor of the FDA, it would likely do so by taking issue with the D.C. Circuit's conclusion that strict scrutiny applies, saying that the right involved is not a fundamental right and therefore applying only simple rational basis review.

Even if the lower court rules in favor of the FDA and determines that the FDA's policy is narrowly tailored to meet a compelling interest, the case will likely be appealed again in front of the D.C. Circuit and may eventually make its way before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Very, very interesting case. I wouldn't be surprised if this issue gains a substantial amount of national attention in the future.

Even though this case is still tied up in litigation and a final determination may not occur for quite some time (perhaps a few years), this case certainly opens the door to others who might want to bring suit. If more cases like this are filed, especially in other circuits that take a different approach, it definitely prompts the U.S. Supreme Court to review the issue.

The FDA has most certainly suffered a setback because it has been told by a U.S. court of appeals that its policy may in fact be unconstitutional, and that their rationale for having this policy in place may in fact have to give way to a person's fundamental right to life.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
rosie

This is very interesting but I wonder how if at all this ruling can be used NOW to gain access to drugs? Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
LovingDaughter

You could file a similar suit. Basically, all that has happened in this case is that the trial court threw out the plaintiff's case and the appellate court reinstated the plaintiff's case because it said the plaintiff does in fact have a claim. However, there hasn't been a ruling declaring the FDA's policy unconstitutional yet.

Have you tried other avenues to get to these drugs? If you feel comfortable sharing more about your situation, I would be happy to help you brainstorm other ideas.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
LovingDaughter

You may have already read this, but here's what the ABA has to say:

FROM THE MAY 12, 2006 ABA JOURNAL eReport
A RIGHT TO SELF-PRESERVATION?
Ruling on Use of Unapproved Drugs Could Have a Major Effect

BY MOLLY McDONOUGH

Health law and policy experts say a federal appeals court ruling that creates a new constitutional right to "self-preservation" could spawn a host of legal and medical ethics issues.

The ruling by a divided panel in Washington, D.C., held that terminally ill patients ought to have access to experimental drugs.

Many expect the decision won’t stand, even as legislation and policy initiatives move forward to give terminally ill patients more of the early access to promising drugs that they seek.

In the May 2 ruling, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled 2-1 that terminally ill patients have the right to try investigational drugs not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration. The decision says such patients may be able to gain access to "Phase 1" drugs—those medications that have been deemed safe enough for further and broader-based clinical trials.

"Barring a terminally ill patient from the use of a potentially lifesaving treatment impinges on his right of self-preservation," Judge Judith W. Rogers wrote for the majority.

But that decision drew a sharp dissent from Judge Thomas B. Griffith, who opined that "the majority has provided no evidence of a right, deeply rooted in our nation’s history and traditions, to procure and use experimental drugs." Abigail Alliance v. Eschenbach, No. 04-5350.

The plaintiffs, the Alexandria, Va.-based Abigail Alliance for Better Access to Developmental Drugs, and their legal team from the Washington Legal Foundation are optimistic the decision will result in greater access to experimental drugs.

"It’s a move forward for literally tens of thousands of patients every year who have run out of options," says Frank Burroughs, president of the Abigail Alliance, which was founded in 2001 after Burroughs’ daughter Abigail lost her battle to obtain promising new cancer drugs, and then her battle with cancer.

More practically, says Richard A. Samp, the Washington Legal Foundation’s chief legal counsel, "It’s very possible that this decision will prod the FDA to make changes voluntarily."

Indeed, the FDA issued a conciliatory response to the decision from Scott Gottlieb, the agency’s deputy commissioner for medical and scientific affairs.

"We remain sympathetic to the desire of terminally ill patients to gain access to experimental treatments when they have exhausted other therapeutic options, and are exploring a number of new efforts to improve how we make investigational drugs available through expanded access programs," Gottlieb said.

But Gottlieb noted that the FDA "is studying the opinion and will consult with the Department of Justice regarding next steps."

Those next steps could be an appeal.

Despite the appellate court ruling, "these plaintiffs have an uphill battle," says Charity Scott, director of the Center for Law, Health & Society at Georgia State University College of Law in Atlanta.

Scott acknowledges that the Abigail Alliance presents "compelling human stories with very human faces."

"It’s their plea of last resort," she says of the terminally ill. "We understand their anguish."

But Scott says the majority takes a creative view of the history of drug regulation. "It’s accurate," she says. "People [had] been able to buy drugs or snake oil without government regulation" until the formation of the FDA at the turn of the previous century.

Scott says, however, that it hasn’t been until more recently that the scientific community understood the risks of drugs that are relatively new inventions. And there is strong support in case law for government to protect the community from harm.

The opinion by Rogers, who was joined by Chief Judge Douglas H. Ginsburg, restricted the due process protections to a narrow group. "Where there are no alternative government-approved treatment options, a terminally ill, mentally competent adult patient’s informed access to potentially lifesaving investigational new drugs determined by the FDA after Phase I trials to be sufficiently safe for expanded human trials warrants protection under the due process clause," Rogers wrote.

In his dissent, Griffith argued that the proper route for change is in the legislative arena—notthrough the courts. "In my view, the majority’s approach injects courts into unknown questions of science and medicine, and does so contrary to the expressed will of Congress and the executive and to the deference courts owe the democratic branches on such controversial matters," he wrote.

As it happens, in addition to the suit against the FDA, the Abigail Alliance has filed a citizens’ petition with the agency seeking a policy change. It also is working with Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., on federal legislation aimed at changing the FDA’s approval system for treating terminally ill patients. The Access, Compassion, Care and Ethics for Seriously Ill Patients Act, also known as the Access Act, was introduced in November.

"There are many people who suffer from terminal illnesses right now who are unable to find a place in existing clinical studies and are unable to qualify for compassionate use programs," Samp says. "I am reasonably hopeful that the D.C. Circuit’s decision will mean that there will be much greater opportunity for people suffering terminal illnesses to gain access to investigational drugs."

The decision overturns a district court ruling and sends the case back to the lower court for a hearing and possibly a trial. Because the majority found access to experimental drugs is a fundamental right, the burden would shift in the lower court to the FDA to prove that it has a compelling interest to deny individuals access to such medications.

That’s an onerous prospect, according to the dissent and some health law and policy experts, who say courts should not be expected to evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether experimental drugs are potentially lifesaving.

"I think the dissent was excellent and I think the majority was wrong," says Don Kennedy, who faced similar litigation when he was an FDA commissioner in the 1970s. In that case, United States v. Rutherford,442 U.S. 544, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against terminally ill cancer patients seeking access to cancer treatment with laetrile. That drug was found to be ineffective against cancer.

"The majority tried to distance itself from Rutherford, and I think not very successfully," Kennedy says.

Jesse Goldner, a Saint Louis University law professor who co-authored the book Ethics and Regulation of Research with Human Subjects, says, "The majority is certainly pushing the envelope," but the notions presented are "not totally crazy."

But the questions that the decision leaves unanswered leave Goldner uncomfortable. Pressing for early access to drugs that have unknown effects "would be a radical change in the way in which we process applications to market drugs," he says.

Judge Griffith outlined what he saw as one of the more "vexing" questions raised by the majority decision: What potential must a treatment have for the Constitution to mandate access?

"Because the majority does not answer this last question, the district court faces an impossible task on remand," Griffith wrote. "Although the government most likely will show that it has a compelling interest in regulating access to drugs with unknown toxicity and the potential to hasten death, the unknown risks and benefits of these experimental drugs will make nearly impossible a judicial examination of whether some level of access short of a prohibition would be more narrowly tailored to protect the majority’s constitutional right of access."

[size=none]©2006 ABA Journal
[/size]
Old 06-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
LovingDaughter

I wish I could be of more help...sorry...
Old 06-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
rosie

Exclamation

Dear Loving Daughter

This is very interesting info. What really riles me is that the FDA is making suck a big deal of "making sure the drugs do not cause harm". What for terminal patients who will die? Isn't that harm enough? And besides Abigail Alliance is asking for access to drugs that have already gone through phase 1 or toxicity trials so the safety is known. Instead of shoving all of us patients deemed "terminal" as guinea pigs into the phase 1 trials because no one else will do them, allow us equal access to phase 2's.
And it isn't even a question of terminal but thoise of us who have had too much treatment and might still be in pretty good shape can't get access either.

I did speak with the lawyer involved in this case and the FDA HAS appealed it to the entire Court of Appeals so all judges will hear it not just the 3 selected. The FDA is not going down without a fight. Why? Because this ruling could change the very nature of the way the FDA does clinical trials and could force the pharmaceutical industry to provide drugs to patients but gain no informational benefit like a trial.

so i say, start a separate pool of patients who fit into this ruling and have them signe a liability release and ask them to participate in their own trial.

I am so mad. I have been on 5, count em 5 clinical trials. I have done my time, given of myself for science and have managed to outlive everybody's expectation which is the problem. Because now, darn it, I am still alive, have no more standard treatment options and can't get into an appropriate trial because I have had too much "successful" treatment. Geez, so therefore according to the FDA, it's time to roll over and die. No way, I have kids. But I can't get a break?

Loving Daughter, if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. I am told hiring and lawyer and filing suit will not work because I don't have time. This ruling was almost 3 years after filing and I don't have 3 years. I am trying to quite it to the drug companies where I am seeing expanded access, so far no go. I guess the next step is to contact Senator Brownback.

Any ideas, appreciated.....
Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
LovingDaughter

Rosie:

I am so sorry for all that you have gone through. I understand how difficult it is to think that there may be treatment options available for you, but that the government is denying your right to access them. When you first sent your message, I didn't know how personal this was to you.

The most important thing, however, is that you not give up. Not yet. It sounds to me like you have already denied many odds, and there are many more battles that you will win.

I agree that you should contact any and all members of the local, state and federal legislatures that you can. Sometimes with lobbying you can get faster results than with working your way through the courts. Are there specific treatments available out there that may help you that you don't have access to? Are they available in other countries? Could you go to Canada or anywhere in Europe for treatments? Are there specific drug companies we could call to discuss availability in other countries?

What about starting a specific post and asking the women on this web site to all write letters to send to your congressmen? I bet they would be willing to help. I will post the thread if it is all right with you.

What about attempting to get your local news stations on the story? You never know, that might work. It sounds to me like a little publicity really could go a long way in helping you.

Let me know what I can do to help. I am thinking of you and praying for you.