HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Events and Social Calendar
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Events and Social Calendar Post events which will be of interest to our members no matter how large or small. You may also add them to our calendar as an additional reminder.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Jackie07

Arrow Cognitive and emotional study at Stanford

Whether you have had breast cancer, or whether you haven't, if you live near the Stanford University Medical Center this could be the interesting study you've been waiting for!

Breast cancer and its treatments have been found to affect many aspects of women’s health and well being, including their brain (cognitive) functioning. There is currently no treatment for these types of brain functioning difficulties. Researchers at Stanford University Medical Center are conducting the Cognitive and Emotional Effects of Breast Cancer Study because they want to learn more about these brain functioning problems and what causes them to occur in hopes that the information they gather could help develop new prevention and treatment options.
This study will include both women who have had breast cancer and those who have no breast cancer history.
Interested in learning more? Keep reading! Not a match? Please, pass this on to someone who might be!
What’s the study about?

Breast cancer and its treatments can cause problems related to attention, memory, depression, and anxiety. Researchers at Stanford University Medical Center are trying to learn more about these problems as well as how to prevent and treat them. The study will compare women who have a history of breast cancer to those women who have never had breast cancer. What’s involved?

If you participate in this study you will be asked to go to the Stanford University Medical Center for study procedures. The researchers will divide the women who enroll into two groups: a group that has had breast cancer and a group that has never had breast cancer. Regardless of which group you are in, you will be given tests that measure attention, memory, problem solving, and emotional status, and you will have an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to measure brain function and structure. You will also be asked to give a saliva sample, which will be tested for genetic markers of cognitive and emotional functioning. If you have had breast cancer, you will also be given a six-week at-home program of brain exercises to improve skills like attention, memory and problem solving. Who can participate?

You can join the Cognitive and Emotional Effects of Breast Cancer Study if you fit ALL of the points in ONE of these categories:

Category I

• You have a history of breast cancer
• You are between the ages of 40-75
• You are able to go to the Stanford University Medical Center for the study appointments

OR

Category II

• You are a healthy woman who has no history of breast cancer
• You are between the ages of 40-75
• You are able to go to the Stanford University Medical Center for the study appointments Who is conducting the study?

Shelli Kesler, PhD, Stanford University, Stanford, California Where?

Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California

Yes, Sign Me Up No Thanks Recruit a Friend

Grow the Army of Women

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Shobha

Thanks Jackie07! I live about 30 minutes from Stanford and will check this out.

hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
NanaKaren

I sure wish I lived closer to Stanford. I would definately sign up. I do hope they publish the results. This is something I am extremely interested in, as my attention span and memory loss makes me crazy on some days. As we have discussed before, is this the new "normal" after treatment?
micromet in sentinel node
Sept.05 Lt.lumpectomy/bilat.reduction
Oct.05 4 rounds of AC/12 rounds of Taxol with Herceptin
Radiation 5 weeks
Herceptin only until Jan.07
Started Femara-stopped
Started Aromisin-stopped
Currently on Arimidex with a great deal of pain
Stopped Arimidex
Taking Tamoxifen
Karen
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote