HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Erin

Question about chest port discomfort on opposite side

Hello Everyone,
As always I have another question for this wise and wonderful group of women :-)

I had a chest port inserted about 6 days ago in the left side (the right being my bc side). My arm was not an option since my first round of TCH caused cellulitis which has left some temporary damage in the main vein of my arm.

During the port procedure I got some significant discomfort on the right side of my chest high up, extending from just below my collar bone in the front to my shoulder blade in the back. Lots of pressure and discomfort - like bad heart burn sometimes causes. Felt like someone was trying to inflate a ballon in my shoulder area. The radiologist said that it was probably because he irritated some nerves while inserting the tubing to my heart. The pain lasted about 1/2 hour but resolved before I left about an hour later.

Now for my question: I am getting recurrances of the pain/discomfort about twice a day for an hour or so at a time. It has me a little concerned even though my onc didn't seem too worried about it when he visited the chemo room during my last round. No other problems with the port - little pain, incision healing well. What do you all think? Anyone else had this problem? I am thinking of calling the radiologist to mention it, seeing as he is the expert in this procedure and could put my mind to rest.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Ruth T

Hi,
I had a lot of port pain after mine was put in but it was mostly in my back. It did feel a bit like heartburn too. The onc's nurse sent me to get a chest xray which was clear and showed the port was where it was supposed to be. The pain lasted a lot longer then anyone said it would- at least a week.I thought maybe it was from the surgeon pushing down hard to put it in or maybe the way I was positioned on the table.
I also had my first chemo the day after and then neulasta which did give me a lot of bone pain so I think it may have been all those things together for me.
I would definitely mention it and have it checked out - if not just to ease your mind. Everyone is different and what works well for one may not for another.
Best wishes,
Ruth
Ruth T is offline   Reply With Quote