HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 09-08-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
alicem

Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

I received this in an e-mail from "Living Beyond Breast Cancer". It is a transcript from one of their teleconferences on diet and nutrition.

http://www.lbbc.org/data/transcript-...y&auid=5274773

This is a summary . . .
. . . with Denise Snyder, MS, RD, LDN. Nutrition and breast cancer are frequently discussed in the popular media. This publication provides the latest research to help you sort out the facts from the fiction. Whether you are at high risk, newly diagnosed, have recently completed treatment, are years beyond or are living with advanced (metastatic) disease, you will find information here about the research studies and learn how to integrate the findings into your life to improve your well-being.
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
TanyaRD

Re: Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

If you've never "attended" one of these teleconferences they are certainly worthwhile. Thanks for posting this info.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Jackie07

Re: Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

Alice,

I almost posted the same thing - lost it because I did not sign up first. Thanks. I get the LBBC newletter (both on-line and the print form) also.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
DianneS

I want to thank Tanya for taking time to be here! That's awesome.

I have a question about supplements. Is this the right thread to ask such a question?

My question is - I have heard/read that curcumin is excellent for the immune system. I would like to begin taking this supplement and wondered what comments Tanya might have about it, and would love to hear also from anyone else who is taking this.

What is a safe dose? Side effects? Does it really help the immune system?

Thanks so much,

Diannes
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
TanyaRD

Thanks for your question Diannes. Curcumin (dietary Tumeric) has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory (COX-2) properties which may have some benefit in the diet or in supplement form. The studies have been mixed and most of which are animal studies or done on specific cell lines thus may be difficult to apply to humans. Many of these studies suggest a promotion of cancer cell death (apoptosis) with the addition of curcumin (tumeric). Some recent animal studies have shown though that curcumin may inhibit the anticancer action of chemoagents used to treat breast cancer such as cyclophosphemide and doxorubicin. As with most strong antioxidants I would advise against supplementing with curcumin during active treatment. However, if you are done with treatment and you discuss it with your physician there may be some benefit to including this in your diet or overall regimen. As far as risks or side effects go we know that curcumin is a mild blood thinner and can increase the risk of bleeding. Therefore it is important to understand any drug interactions that may occur when starting this supplement.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Becky

I would like to add that if taking it as a supplement, take it with food (particularly food that has alittle fat - perhaps the evening meal which tends to have meat or some cheese in it). Curcumin is better absorbed this way and I get a slightly upset stomach if I take it on an empty stomach.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
DianneS

Thanks so much for your reply. Seems it has some benefit. I am still doing herceptin until Oct. 8. Should I wait? I do take antioxidants 4 x a day since I finished the taxoter/carboplatin in March; hope that was a good decision. I also do juicing,

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
DianneS

Hi Becky,

How much mg's of curcumin do you take?

Thanks,
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 09-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
Becky

From the manufacturer I buy from, I take one capsule a day and it contain 545mg of standardized curcumin. A normal portion of "chicken curry" contains about 300 mg of curcumin.

I don't want to overdo as I take an aspirin, cranberry (get UTIs from no estrogen), and fish oil which all thin the blood.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
Stage 2A
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Arimidex Only

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
DianneS

Hi Becky,

Do you mind telling me who your manufacturer is?

Do you get any stomach problems from it? Would it be a good idea to take with food, do you think?

Thank you,

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
Becky

I always take my supplements with meals as it enhances absorption of almost anything I can think of.

I buy most of my herbal supplements online from Viable Herbal Solutions

www.viable-herbal.com

I have had problems taking supplements on an empty stomach but not right after I have had a meal.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
Stage 2A
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Arimidex Only

NED 18 years!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
TanyaRD

I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to treatment just because there is so much we have yet to learn about the interactions between nutrients and drugs. I would recommend waiting to start curcumin until Herceptin is done.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #13
RobinP

Hey, Becky, thanks for your input on Curcumin and Curry dosage comparison. I love curry spice and we use it a lot in cooking.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
ElaineM

Wink Re: Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

Thanks for the links to nutrition and breast cancer. As for curcumin I have taken it for years. I have supplements. I also use curcumin in my cooking. It can be added to soups, stews, rice and of course curries. I add it to hummus. It can be found in the spice department of many grocery stores (curcumin or tumeric). If you are lucky you might also find it in the produce department. It looks like fresh ginger, except that the inside is orange colored. I slice it up or grade it into some foods during cooking.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
DianneS

Tanya,

I agree and have not started curcumin yet. After my last herceptin Oct. 8, how long would you recommend waiting until starting with the curcumin?

How does taking curcumin by pill form differ from getting loads of curcumin in a curry dish? Should I avoid putting it in rice dishes, soups, as Elaine suggests or is it ok that way?

I do take 4 antioxidants a day on the advice of a doctor of naturopath in my area. She said I should not take the curcumin along with the antiox's but take the curcumin one day, then the antiox's on another day...how do you recommend taking it? Along with antioxidants? Is curcumin considered an antioxidant?

Thank you Becky - I added that link to my favorites.

Thanks for your help,
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 09-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #16
TanyaRD

Dianne,
I don't often discourage use of high antioxidant foods during chemo/radiation because the amount you receive from food is generally much smaller than that in a concentrated supplement form. The same is true for curcumin/tumeric. I believe you could safely consume a curry dish once in a while. If you are eating foods laden with tumeric on a daily basis then that may be reason for caution. I would recommend waiting 2-4 weeks after your last Herceptin to begin the supplement. I don't know of any reason not to take the curcumin with the other supplements unless there is a theory that absorption will be limited. I am not aware of any studies that demonstrate this. If your naturopath has a background in Chinese Herbal Medicine it may be related to the way they blend various herbs (i.e. hot/cold herbs-a little out of my element here :-)

Lastly, curcumin is a strong antioxidant which is one of the reasons it is a good idea to avoid during treatment.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by TanyaRD; 09-17-2009 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Forgot to answer a question
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Becky

However, there are many studies that also show that curcumin has synergistic effects with taxanes. However, I agree that during chemo, it is best to be cautious. During taxol treatments, I ate a curry dish the day of treatment in order to hopefully benefit from these synergies. Also, during Herceptin I did my supplements, especially maitake and shitake as these mushrooms have an abundance of beta glucan (which can stimulate a sluggish P-TEN, a gene that needs to be turned on for Herceptin to work).

I have never heard supplements interfer with Herceptin. Oh well, its 5 yrs and I'm here.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
Stage 2A
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Arimidex Only

NED 18 years!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
TanyaRD

Becky,
Thanks for your input. I don't know of absolute interaction with supplements and Herceptin either but that is the problem is that we just don't know. Each person has to make the best decision for their situation. As a health care professional I must abide by the old adage of "first do no harm". I cannot comfortably recommend that one of my patients takes something that has a very real potential to decrease the effectiveness of their cancer treatment. Nutrition and medicine on the whole is an evolving science and changing all the time as we learn more and more. It can be a very frustrating area for both patient and practitioner. I believe it is always best to discuss your decision regarding supplements with your oncology team so you can be adequately monitored.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
Becky

I absolutely agree with that, even when you are NED and far out, you should put all supplements on your medication scroll such as you do for prescription medicines. Everyone should know what you are taking just in case you are in an accident (and you are taking supplements that thin the blood such as fish oil, cranberry - some folks even forget to put their baby aspirin on the list). This is very important.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
Stage 2A
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Arimidex Only

NED 18 years!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #20
AlaskaAngel

Thumbs up Re: Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

If I were newly diagnosed, this is the clinical trial I would want to pursue, as I think is mostly likely to provide some exceptionally key information for us all -- not only in terms of avoiding recurrence, but also in terms of weight management in people who are treated for breast cancer. Do we have anyone near Maryland on our forums who is newly diagnosed?

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...sms%22&rank=30

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote