HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Grapeseed Extract-Madubois

News

Grape Seed Extract Kills Laboratory Leukemia Cells, Proving Value of Natural Compounds

December 31, 2008

PHILADELPHIA - An extract from grape seeds forces laboratory leukemia cells to commit cell suicide, according to researchers from the University of Kentucky. They found that within 24 hours, 76 percent of leukemia cells had died after being exposed to the extract.
The investigators, who report their findings in the January 1, 2009, issue of Clinical Cancer Research, a journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, also teased apart the cell signaling pathway associated with use of grape seed extract that led to cell death, or apoptosis. They found that the extract activates JNK, a protein that regulates the apoptotic pathway.
While grape seed extract has shown activity in a number of laboratory cancer cell lines, including skin, breast, colon, lung, stomach and prostate cancers, no one had tested the extract in hematological cancers nor had the precise mechanism for activity been revealed.
"These results could have implications for the incorporation of agents such as grape seed extract into prevention or treatment of hematological malignancies and possibly other cancers," said the study's lead author, Xianglin Shi, Ph.D., professor in the Graduate Center for Toxicology at the University of Kentucky.
"What everyone seeks is an agent that has an effect on cancer cells but leaves normal cells alone, and this shows that grape seed extract fits into this category," he said.
Shi adds, however, that the research is not far enough along to suggest that people should eat grapes, grape seeds, or grape skin in excess to stave off cancer. "This is very promising research, but it is too early to say this is chemo-protective."
Hematological cancers - leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma - accounted for an estimated 118,310 new cancer cases and almost 54,000 deaths in 2006, ranking these cancers as the fourth leading cause of cancer incidence and death in the U.S.
Given that epidemiological evidence shows that eating vegetables and fruits helps prevent cancer development, Shi and his colleagues have been studying chemicals known as proanthocyanidins in fruits that contribute to this effect. Shi has found that apple peel extract contains these flavonoids, which have antioxidant activity, and which cause apoptosis in several cancer cell lines but not in normal cells. Based on those studies, and findings from other researchers that grape seed extract reduces breast tumors in rats and skin tumors in mice, they looked at the effect of the compound in leukemia cells.
Using a commercially available grape seed extract, Shi exposed leukemia cells to the extract in different doses and found the marked effect in causing apoptosis in these cells at one of the higher doses.
They also discovered that the extract does not affect normal cells, although they don't know why.
The researchers then used pharmacologic and genetic approaches to determine how the extract induced apoptosis. They found that the extract strongly activated the JNK pathway, which then led to up-regulation of Cip/p21, which controls the cell cycle.
They checked this finding by using an agent that inhibited JNK, and found that the extract was ineffective. Using a genetic approach - silencing the JNK gene - also disarmed grape seed extract's lethal attack in leukemia cells.
"This is a natural compound that appears to have relatively important properties," Shi said.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Sherryg683

I've been taking grape seed suplements for 3 years now, along with tumeric and green tea. Hopefully they are helping. I'm glad to read the above...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Jean

Great Article Joe,
Thank you, I was informed of Grape Seed Extract 3 yrs. ago by one of my dr. and have been taking it ever since.

jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
eric

question for Sherry

Sherry,
What led you to the supplements you mentioned?
Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Paty

Great article Joe. I think I will start trying the grape seed oil that they sell on the stores for cooking... Thank you.

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Sherryg683

Hi Eric, when I was first diagnosed I was surfing the net and found a post on another board by this guy who was a breast cancer researcher and nutrionalist from Switzerland, he would come on from time to time and give his opinion on things. The women on this board seemed to value his opinion as an expert. On this post he had this long list of supplements that he recommended for fighting breast cancer. He said if he had to choose his top 3 supplements to take it would be grape seed, tumeric, and green tea. So I started taking these immediately. He recommended taking 2000 mg a day of the tumeric and green tea, and 500 mg of grape seed. I don't know if they have helped but I've been NED for over 2-1/2 years and I'm too superstitious to change anything I've been doing...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
eric

Thanks Sherry, that helps.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
lizm100

I also take grapseed extract, tumeric, and green tea under the advice of my naturalpath. In addition, I take Indole 3, CoQ10, 2000iu's of Vit. D3, Iodine, and modified citrus pectin. My sister who had fibroids has had positive results with the grapseed extract as well. While she was taking the grapseed extract the fibroids shrank and when she stopped they came back so once again she's taking the extract and guess what...they fibroids shrank again.

Joe, thank you for sharing the article.

Liz
lizm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
madubois63

Thanks Joe. I am happy to say, I am not too worried about leukemia right now. I guess, like bc, it'll always be in the back of my mind but according to everyone, the leukemia is cured (if there is such a thing a a cure).

I've been hearing things about grape seed extract for a bit. Grapeseed should not be taken if you have anemia (most people with leukemia do) or if you are taking blood-thinningmedication (aspirin, Coumadin, etc.), since the tannin content of Grapeseedis high, it may counter the effects of iron supplements( since I have an iron overload, this may be a good thing??).

I use grapeseed oil on salads and cooking certain foods (not the best oil for high heat). I do have the supplements, but haven't taken many supplements while being sick (couldn't swallow all those pills). I love grapes and put them in the freezer for a great cold snack.

Just a reminder...speak to you doctors before taking anything that may interfere with your prescribed medications.
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver