HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
MCS

Prophylactic mastectomy

Hi ladies,

Question.

My once said that one way to reduce risk or a new primary on the other breast is to do a prophylactic mastectomy ( remove the unaffected breast as preventive).

I am wondering if anyone of you have done that? I read in another thread one of had. This sounds drastic but maybe it's the answer.

Does insurance cover this?

does anyone have the rate of recurrence or a new primary on the other breast before 5 years? and after 5 years?

I am not yet done with chemo, and I have a restructure of the other breast to go plus herceptin till year end. Is this even an option now or would be emotionally burder right now?

I thought I would do the prophylactic mastectomy and also get a port at the same time, just in case?

Thank you all

MCS (Maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Unregistered

Try using the search button (I found it recently and its really useful) just above and type in masectomy - there is quite a lot there as a starting point if that helps - I attach one link by way of example. I am sure you will get lots of other thoughts as well.

Density and general breast health are othere factors I have seen discussed.

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ight=masectomy

RB
Old 02-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
suzan w

I was diagnosed in June '05 with invasive lobular carcinoma in my left breast. The biopsy removed a small (7mm) tumor that was ER+,PR+,Her2+++. Due to the difficulty of spotting lobular on mamograms, and the sneaky way that it spreads (single cell), I opted for a prophylactic bilateral mast. NO REGRETS!!! In fact some of my friends with various types of breast cancer (Isn't it awful to have multiple friends with bc?? It seems to be such an epidemic) who have had lumpectomies (and a recurrence), single mastectomy (always feels lopsided and worries constantly about remaining breast's health) they say if they had it to do over again, they would have had both breasts removed. That's my 2 cents worth!!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
DeborahNC

Maria,

I can say that I'm quite glad that I had a prophylactic mastectomy of my left breast when I had my right one removed in Sept. Even though the left was disease free it was still very dense and fibrocystic. Perhaps cancer may never have developed in it, but I just didn't want to take that chance after a recurrance. Frankly, I wish I had done it the first time and second guesed myself for two years until my recur, but my decision may not be the right one for others. You just have to do what you feel is best for you.

All the best, Deborah
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
lu ann

Dear Maria,

At the time of my origional diagnosis with BC I started out having a lumpectomy, radiation, and chemo. The surgeon could not get clean margins so I had to have a mastectomy and chemo.

At the time, (Fall 1991) silicone implants were getting alot of bad publicity so I opted for the tram flap procedure. They removed tissue under my belly button used half of the tissue and discarded the rest. I would have to use tissue from my back or artificial implants if I were to have the other breast removed today.

Since then I have had several suspicious mamograms and ultra-sounds of the other breast. I had 2 breast biopsies that were benign.

Even though I had the mastectomy, I believe I had a local recurrance in my mediastynime, (area between the two breasts) which later spread to my spine and pelvic bones. I sometimes wonder if I would of had the radiation, I would not of had the local recurrance.

I know it is a hard decision for you to make. Just get as much information you can and pray for His guidance for the best decision.

Love and Blessings
Lu Ann
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
Monique M

Dear Maria:

After my diagnosis on August 30, 2004, I had a lumpectomy. When the surgeon came back a week later and told me they did not like the margins and they needed to remove the right breast I told them to take the left one at the same time. For me, it was a peace of mind issue. I had very fibrocistic (sp?) breasts and did not want to have my heart stop with every lump and bump. I have never regretted my decision. I did not have immediate reconstruction, in fact I am scheduled for surgery on 03/17 for my expanders.

Peace and Blessings,
Monique

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #7
Monique M

Maria:

By the way-- my insurance paid for everything and is paying for the reconstruction.

Monique

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
TriciaK

As most of you know, I had my first BC in 1985, 21 years ago now. I had a modified radical on the cancerous rt. side, and since the left was suspicious, there also. I have never regretted it. I did have reconstruction with silicone and that was not good, since the right side has leaked and is now smaller with an apricot sized soft lump underneath. At that time I had only military insurance and they refused to pay for it because I wouldn't go to San Antonio to have the mastectomies but wanted my own surgeon. We fought it, but they still refused. THey have paid for everything else since, though, including reconstruction. I could have the damaged silicone removed but decided I am too old for more surgery now and it is not still leaking. I would suggest you do your homework, get a second (or third) opinion, and pray! Best wishes and hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
Kim

I had a r. mast when my cancer was dx in 2003. I went back almost exactly one year later in 2004 and had my left side done as well. I have no regrets. My insurance paid for everything.
Kim

PS My chemo was done, but I was still getting herceptin.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Jane

Hi Maria,

I was diagnosed with IDC in my right breast in Feb. 05. My tumor was 6.5 cm, ER/PR+, HER2+, 6/12 positive lymph nodes.

I also had my left breast removed prophylatically and i have not regretted it for one second. For me, it was an easy decision: i had had 9 biopsies on my left breast over the past 10 years, including a lumpectomy two years ago to remove atypical cells.

I'm 47 and my surgeon said that while she didn't do prophylatic mastectomies lightly, she said it was probably on a matter of time before I got cancer in my left breast as well.

Knowing that I am HER2+ makes me SO glad that both breasts were removed.

My insurance paid for everything.

Do your research and, in the end, it's whatever makes you feel the most comfortable in the long run -

jane-ellen
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #11
athena453

Hi Maria,

I have opted to go ahead with the proph mast on Friday. My back is not right from the first surgery and I am very active. I have not had the genetic testing yet, though I plan to.
R prophylactic mast. 3/3/06
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #12
Liz J.

Hi Maria,

I was dx in April 2005 with IDC HER2++ ER/PR+. Had 6 rounds of CAF. Am now receiving Herceptin. I had the modified radical mastectomy 6 days after dx. My biggest fear at the time was how I was going to handle the anesthesia as I also have COPD. I regret not having a lateral mast as I am constantly checking the remaining breast. Sometimes it is like an obsession. I asked my onc. and he feels since I am post meno and not likely hereditary he would not recommend it. I still am considering it. It would be that much less time under anesthesia as now it would be one breast not two. Also I would not be constantly checking this breast and I could wear a good padded bra as oppossed to the prophylatic ones I now wear. May the Lord be with us in each and every decision.

Hugs,

Liz

Last edited by Liz J.; 03-02-2006 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Didn't realize first name
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote