HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2004, 04:04 AM   #1
Christine

Hi
Have you read my story? Also, our Her2 website has information on metastatic brain tumors.
I was Dx w/ stage 4 BC in 1999. Iwas also her2+. Iwas gien a form of stereotactic radiation and followed-up with Whole Brain RADs(WBR). Although it is a fatiguing therapy it effective over tine. It can last for up to 6 mos or a yr. But is will need you to maintain good appetite to overcome the tireing effects of radiation. I had a total of 4000 gy over 20 days, with weekens off. My tumors were ranging in size from 3mm to 2.2cm. I had a total of 8 mets. SINCE 2000, I have been w/o tumors only dead scar tissue that has remained slowly diappearing. I have had short term memory and some vision problems (retenopathy), it hasn't been limiting me too much, but I cannot drive or see well at night. Initially you may have dryness in your ears, and eyes, but make sure the techs do not radiate near your visual field. I have never needed a craniotomy, because of the tumor sizes. I understood from the Rad Onc that a tumor should be sugically removed at 3cm+ if possible. I congratulate you , I feel you are getting the proper protocol. As time goes by, you should be monitored by MRI surveillance every 3- 6 mos to make sure you remain stable. I have done well, and know that if in the future another brain tumor occurs; it can be irradicated with GAMMA-KNIFE OR CYBER-KNIFE, BOTH RELATIVLY SHORT targeted procedures and not hamful to the brain. Hope you are continuing in good health.
Anytime you need to email me , please do.
HUGS AND WELL WISHES are being sent your way.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
Ragini

Hi,
I underwent a craniotomy last week ( 4.5cmc)and am thankful to God to be back home. A Follow up MRI was done and the brain looks fine so far. I now have to undergo either whole brain radiation or localised radiation to the area where the tumore was. The docs have given me the positive and flip side of both the optionss. I understand that there is some deterioration in cognative functions to some extent. I would be grateful if I could hear from people who have undergone wbr or localised radiation after surgery about their experience. Please excuse the spelligs as my vision is a bit blurred. Patty my husband has been receiving all your info and thanx a lot. with hugs to all.
Ragini
Old 02-18-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
Sandra

My mom had a craniotomy to remove one large tumour in September 2003, then WBRT in October/November, then radiosurgery to target two smaller tumours in December. She has had to stay on Decadron to combat swelling. Decadron has many unpleasant side effects, but when the doctor tried to wean her off of it, she experienced nausea and some cognitive problems. She is not able to drive and does not seem 100% in terms of cognitive function. Also, she is still experiencing fatigue and weakness.

The frustrating thing is trying to figure out which symptoms are caused by which treatments. When she feels nauseous, is it due to the Decadron, is it residual from the WBRT, is it a result of swelling, or is the cancer returning??? The doctors seem unclear on this.

Her life right now is dominated by nagging, unpleasant, but not life-threatening health problems (don't know whether to call them symptoms or side effects). To be honest, I was hoping her quality of life would be better at this point, but it could also be worse. I wish I knew what to expect for the future.

Sorry this isn't more helpful.