HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2004, 05:14 AM   #1
Lisa

Steph,

I'm still uncertain about milk thistle. This info below comes from the NCI's PDQ. You can understand my confusion. Milk thistle prevents toxic elements from entering the liver (well, Navelbine is pretty toxic and I want it there). Yet it helps fight breast cancer cells AND may increase the efficacy of certain chemos (Navelbine not mentioned).
---------------------------------
Laboratory experiments conducted using cancer cell lines have suggested that silibinin(milk thistle) may enhance the efficacy of cisplatin and doxorubicin against ovarian and breast cancer cells.[18] Silibinin appears to have direct anticancer effects against prostate, breast, and ectocervical tumor cells.

Silymarin is most well known for its purported effects on the liver. In laboratory studies, silymarin has been found to stabilize cell membranes, thus preventing toxic chemicals from entering the cell.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Lolly

Good observation, Lisa. It makes me wonder if those with active liver mets should be cautious about using milk thistle, until the mets are gone; then if I'm interprteting the information correctly one would want to use it to help clear the dead cells out?
Hugs,
Lolly
Old 02-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Steph N.

Quoted:
"suggested that silibinin(milk thistle) may enhance the efficacy of cisplatin and doxorubicin against ovarian and breast cancer cells.[18] Silibinin appears to have direct anticancer effects against prostate, breast, and ectocervical tumor cells.

Silymarin is most well known for its purported effects on the liver. In laboratory studies, silymarin has been found to stabilize cell membranes, thus preventing toxic chemicals from entering the cell."

Lisa - There are two names - silymarin and silibinin (milk thistle). Without knowing what the difference is (guess I need the link) cannot answer you concern.
One thing - I took doxyrubicon as part of initial treatment and took taxol and navelbine with the milk thistle.
My good friend who is a recovered alcolholic is the one who suggested (more like "demanded"!) I take the milk thistle, as she knew it is good for damaged livers. (You know mine was over 50% full of tumors.) My aim was to prevent MORE toxicity from normal causes from complicating my liver's work.
I asked my med onc who saw no reason not to take it. With his go-ahead I went to the the health food store and consulted with the manager who also thought it was a good idea.
Somehow everything worked together to chase the cancer out and nearly all the scar tissue is gone by now according to last scan in Jan.
My case has been written up, and I was interviewed by the naturopath who consults at my cancer center who wanted to know what all I took with my chemo. They want to know why I did so well and some other women did not.
With all the "okays" I got (plus the good results!!), I see no reason not to take the milk thistle unless your med onc has some particular reason against it.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:25 AM   #4
Irene from Tampa

Steph -

I was wondering how much Milk Thistle did you take?

I have taken it before and would like to get back on it.

Thanks