HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
bejuce

Progression rates from stage IIIC to stage IV?

Hi there,

Just saw something online (on the Ask the Expert site at Johns Hopkins) that scared me. It said that most (70%) stage IIIC patients progress to stage IV. Is anyone familiar with this number? I know I'm not supposed to look at statistics, but now I'm very, very worried about what the future may bring.

How many of you stage IIICs out there who are still doing strong after 5/10 years??

Thanks!!!

Marcia (bejuce)

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Lien

Re: Progression rates from stage IIIC to stage IV?

The thing with stats is, that they can scare you or give you a false sense of safety. When I was first diagnosed, early stage, good prognosis, I "met" a woman with a similar diagnosis online. A year later she had developed mets. I hadn't. I know several women who are NED after a stage IV diagnosis (more than 10 years later!!!). I know women who recurred when their prognosis was excellent, and who didn't with a lousy prognosis. In the end it's a crap shoot. Why did we get BC in the first place? We just don't know.

So I decided that I might as well make the most of my NED days, as I had no idea whether they would last or not. I'm lucky. I'm five years out and got to spend time with my kids, my husband, my friends and my relatives. I went skiing again, for the first time in many years and taught my sons to ski. I try to start each day with a smile on my face. I try to sing in the shower (have you noticed it's very hard to feel bad while you are singing?).

The first year is just so hard. I think the fact that your tumor (gosh, it was huge! My breasts are not even 10 x 12 cm, I'm a B) responded so well to chemo is a very very good sign. I bet you have a pretty good chance of being one of those miracle girls.

Keep taking deep breaths. This too shall pass.

Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
chrisy

Hi Marcia,
I see (and second) Jacqueline's comments about stats being meaningless at the level of any individual, and raise her that even the stats on a macro level - particularly for Her2+ cancer are not even correct any more since the use of Herceptin in adjuvant therapy.

The story has changed since Herceptin - Her2 pos bc is now viewed as a "favorable" prognosis compared to not Her2+. This is a complete reversal!

(I didn't have the option to get adjuvant Herceptin - which may or may not have made a difference in my particular case)
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Becky

Dear Darling Dear

I would keep my face to the sun. First off, who knows what your real stats are as you are in an important trial - receiving both Tykerb and Herceptin in the adjuvant setting (thank you for doing this for future Her2+ women).

Second, even if the stats are right (and they do seem high to me), it means that out of 100 women "just like you" that 30 do just fine. Why don't you think you are one of those 30 (because you are) and you shouldn't think differently. There are many, many women on this board who were just like you and doing fine (one even having a baby after treatment was over).

Trust yourself that everything can be fine. You are a hero for the trial you are in - I just want to let you know that.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Jackie07

Marcia,

I thought I had replied to you - since I couldn't see it on this thread, I'll just say it here again.

I agree with everyone that stats really is just a 'reference' number. When I had my brain tumor diagnosed, my surgeon was sure that my neurologist's guess was not correct. Sure enough, after sending the sample to another institution, it turned out to be a very rare type of brain tumor. Something like less than one percent of all brain tumors diagnosed (it's not even in the textbook - according to my doctors) Taking into account that any primary brain tumor is considered rare, mine became really, really special.

If you look at the stats of all brain tumors, the odds for me to be still here and typing all these messages would be very slim. But it so happened that I had a great surgeon who worked on me 23 hours straight. And when the 3 residue tumors grew again Gamma-knife Radiosurgery was available everywhere and mine have been well under control ever since.

But then I got breast cancer, and then I got recurrence... So what - my oncologist just commended on my being a fighter for 6 years (against breast cancer) and I reminded him to add 13 more years for my brain surgery.

I'm typing this while reading Becky's quote right above: "... you
are braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think."

Check out the 'long-time survivor' thread by using the 'Search' button on top of the Gold bar. I'm sure you will find plenty of stories of stage III or even stage IV survivors there. And remember that people who are 'cured' usually don't seek out this board or continue to hang around. Since we are all survivors here, you know you belong to the 30 % winners' club.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 09-02-2009 at 10:06 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Jackie07

Check out the thread 'Stats I need help with' started by PattyF. She posted the same question and got several replies.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Cathya

Marcia;

I am stage IIIc and coming up to my fifth year (found first lump in late October 2004) NED. Be encouraged.....I am!!

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
MJo

I would also want to know if these stats included Her2s treated with Herceptin. My Her2 buddy was Stage 3b treated with Herceptin, and she's NED four years now.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
Sandra in GA

My two cents worth. When I was trying to decide to have radiation - I was hesitant because my left arm is my "work horse" because I had Polio at age 18 months that affected my right arm and have very limited use of that arm and hand and if I developed severe lympodema in my left I could not retrain my right to do my daily care duties - I prepared a list of questions and concerns I wanted the rediation onc to answer. (Of corse, my cancer was in my left breast and they removed all 21 nodes from under my left arm.) Included in that list were several that I wanted answered concerning survival and recurrance rates with Herceptin and Tykerb alone and with traditional therapy. I wanted empirical statistics!! Well, when the questions came out of my mouth, I realized that these have not been collected and documented yet! My radiation onc said, "You guys are writing that information now!"

So now the stats are old. Herceptin has only been available around 10 years and Tykerb was only approved by the FDA in '07.

Live everyday to the fullest! Dance when you want and love everybody!

Sandra

PS As you can see in my signature, I did go ahead with the radiation treatments. I am glad I did. And as someone has already posted, the stats don't mean anything unless you are one of the positive numbers no matter how high or low the percentages. I believe in doing all I can and then putting my life in God's hands.
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Audrey

Hi Marcia,
Just wanted to let you know I was diagnosed at Stage IIIb with a very large tumor and positive nodes and after chemo, surgery, radiation and a year of Herceptin I am doing great eight years later! Herceptin has really changed the stats on this disease...best of luck to you-stay hopeful and keep the faith!

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!

Last edited by Audrey; 09-03-2009 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Nancy L

I too am a data person and want to know the stats. My last understanding was that Stage IIIC recurrence rate is around 50% for those who receive Herceptin. However, the reality is that there are very few Stage IIIC diagnosis each year and it is a fairly new classification.

The next time I see Dr. Slamon, I will ask him for a current stat. If anyone knows, he will. My goal is to stay one step ahead of the next Her2 discovery. When Dr. Slamon told me there is a lot of hopeful research going on, that gave me hope. I think it is really important all Stage IIIC patients get connected to a top breast cancer oncologist who will know what to do if you have a recurrence.

My story is listed below.

9/2004 Age 57 at diagnosis/Post menopausal/Stage IIIC focal high-grade ductal carcinoma in situ of the left breast with invasive component (7x5x3cm tumor with 11 of 11 tested lymph nodes positive for metastatic carcinoma with extranodal spread).

Estrogen/Progestrerone Receptor negative
Her2neu positive by FISH (HER217Z1 ratio of 4.03)
CT post surgery identified a single prominent left axillary/subpectoral lymph node measuring 11 mm/ Ki-67 staining was 70%

10/04-4/05 Dose Dense---4 AC; 4 Taxotere/Herceptin; 35 rounds of radiation.

5/05-current Herceptin every 3 wks;

3/2009 Recurrence to right neck nodes. Currently on Herceptin and Tykerb
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
Laurel

Marcia,

I do not think cancer will dare darken your door again. With that million dollar smile of yours you can light up the darkness and radiate that nasty cancer away. Just keep smiling and try to live each day. Cancer has changed us all for the better. Oh, maybe not our bodies, but our souls are kinder, out hearts bigger, our spirits gentler. Stats smats.....!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
bejuce

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. I honestly don't know what to make of stats anymore. I've seen so much inconsistent data online that I'm not sure which number to believe.

Add to that the fact that I had less than 1% chance of getting breast cancer and here I am fighting this, when I hear that I have anywhere from 30, 50 or 70 % chance of getting it again, it sounds so very high to me that I feel numb and afraid.

I love to hear all the survivor stories out there -they definitely strengthen my hope.

Nancy, let us all know what you find out from Dr. Slamon. My oncologist at Stanford told me after running through the Adjuvant Online program that I had a 70% chance of making it to 10 years with Herceptin added to the mix. Because I'm 38 with young kids at home, I have to believe that I have at least 20-30 years left...

Thanks again!

Marcia (bejuce)

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #14
lkc Gumby

hey marcia,
another stage IIIC here. 4yrs and 4 mos out( but who's counting!)
NED, I don't look at the stats I find they are oudated and are pretty much flawed. Besides we're all unique and have unique health histories( other then BC ), etc , etc., which stats do not account for.

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06