HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Lani

Exclamation Alert for those on Tykerb--bring this up with your oncologist

I have read posts of those on Xeloda/Tykerb and even Tykerb alone complaining of diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, etc.

This article is about monoclonal antibodies against EGFR, which Tykerb is not, but as it acts on the internal portion of the same receptor, the effect may turn out to be the same.

I have made it a practice not to even seem to give advice and I certainly am not qualified to give advice , but I can't see the harm in asking to have your magnesium level tested if you are having complaints on Tykerb. Side effects of low magnesium can be serious as you can see below, so I can't imagine your oncologist not agreeing to the simple blood test.

Most Patients on Monoclonal Antibodies Suffer Magnesium Loss

Allison Gandey

May 4, 2007 — A startling 97% of cancer patients treated with cetuximab, matuzumab, or panitumumab have some degree of hypomagnesemia, a prospective clinical trial shows. The drugs targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) appear to compromise renal magnesium-retention capacity. "Our study is important because it shows that magnesium wasting will occur in all patients," lead author Sabine Tejpar, MD, from the University Hospital Gasthuisberg, in Leuven, Belgium, told reporters. "Previously, hypomagnesemia was thought to be restricted to an undefined subset of patients." She says predicting the risk for hypomagnesemia will also be important for patients receiving combination treatments with nephrotoxic and potential magnesium-wasting agents such as cisplatin.

The trial, published in the May issue of Lancet Oncology, found magnesium loss in all tested monoclonal antibodies targeting EGFR — suggesting a class effect. However, the researchers suggest, the incidence and severity might vary between products. They urge clinicians to carefully weigh all risks and benefits.

In an accompanying comment, Marwan Fakih, MD, from the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, in Buffalo, New York, writes, "To my knowledge, the Tejpar study is the first to show that some degree of hypomagnesemia occurs in almost all patients receiving EGFR-targeting monoclonal antibodies." Consistent with previous reports, he notes, clinically significant hypomagnesemia affected only a small group of patients receiving therapy.

Dr. Fakih writes that the study "elegantly" investigated magnesium wasting by measuring the slope of magnesium concentrations over time (starting from baseline) in 98 patients with metastatic colorectal cancer treated with monoclonal antibodies. Although the vast majority of patients experienced magnesium wasting during treatment, Dr. Fakih points out that significant interpatient variability in the serum magnesium concentration slopes was observed.

Monoclonal antibodies are becoming more popular in the management of patients with colorectal cancer. Based on favorable time-to-progression and response-rate outcomes from the Bowel Oncology with Cetuximab Antibody (BOND) study, the product is commonly used in the second- or third-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer.

Agents Targeting EGFR Gaining Popularity, but Adverse Effects Largely Unexplored

According to Dr. Fakih, the incorporation of cetuximab in the first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer is becoming increasingly probable because of initial favorable time-to-progression results from a randomized study of fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan, with or without cetuximab. Hypomagnesemia is one of the commonly noted adverse events of this class of agents. Severe hypomagnesemia (grade 3 to 4) has been seen in 8 of 22 (36%) and 13 of 48 (27%) of patients who were treated with cetuximab. A review of 244 patients treated with cetuximab estimated a more conservative 10% to 15% incidence of severe hypomagnesemia.

Hypomagnesemia can cause dizziness, weakness, cardiac abnormalities, or even generalized convulsions. Agents targeting EGFR are being used increasingly to treat solid tumors in particular colorectal cancers. However, the extent of this effect in patients given these antibodies has not previously been fully assessed.

In the new study, Dr. Tejpar and colleagues say their finding explains why previous studies have underestimated the incidence of magnesium wasting. "They concentrate only on patients who are overtly hypomagnesemic — that is, the more severely affected patients who had time to develop hypomagnesemia during the relatively short treatment intervals," they note. The decrease of serum magnesium concentrations in patients who were treated with EGFR-inhibiting antibodies, with or without chemotherapy, was significantly different from those in patients who had received chemotherapy alone.

Chemotherapy has been associated with shifts in erythrocyte cellular-to-plasma-magnesium ratios. "However, in our series," they explain, "we can conclude that magnesium wasting is specifically due to EGFR inhibition. This finding is confirmed by the rapid normalization of serum magnesium concentrations on discontinuation of EGFR inhibition, while in most cases, patients went on to receive more chemotherapy."

The Challenge of Identifying and Treating High-Risk Patients

Age, baseline magnesium concentrations, and duration of treatment were considered risk factors for magnesium wasting. "This group of patients should be screened more vigorously with repeated measurements of magnesium concentrations during treatment," Dr. Fakih suggests.

Strategies for these high-risk populations include use of intermittent treatment with monoclonal antibodies to avoid the development of severe hypomagnesemia. "Such an intermittent treatment strategy has been shown to be successful for other agents that cause cumulative toxicities, such as oxaliplatin," Dr. Fakih explained. "At the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, we have implemented a cetuximab stop-and-go approach in patients with grade 3 and above hypomagnesemia needing more than 3-times-weekly infusions of intravenous magnesium replacement. Our experience confirms the complete resolution of hypomagnesemia within 2 months of stopping, and the feasibility of rechallenge with cetuximab when magnesium concentrations return to normal." In these patients, he notes, severe hypomagnesemia recurs rarely within 2 months from the start of cetuximab rechallenge.

Dr. Tejpar and colleagues are currently conducting a prospective randomized trial comparing low-dose and high-dose oral magnesium substitution in patients treated with cetuximab. "We expect diarrhea to remain a problem with all magnesium salt substitutions." They note that evidence exists in patients who have congenital-TRPM6 deficiencies that only high-dose oral substitution can stabilize concentrations of serum magnesium.

Lancet Oncol. 2007;8:366-367 , 387-394.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

magnesium

Thanks for going ahead and posting this, Lani. Even if one is not having really bad diarrhea, dizziness, etc., magnesium is important for bone maintenance for those who have been treated for bc... so all in all, something to keep in mind for those doing lapatinib.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile On Tykerb/Xeloda trial

and my magnesium seems to be ok but in the last several months my onc. has been watching my potassium since it tends to get a bit on the low side. He put me on potassium pills daily to keep level. I attribute to the diarrhea I have that maybe its depleated me in that area. But we are watching.

Thanks for the advise I will check with my onc on that on my next visit.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
Shell

Lani-

That is thoughtful. I remember when I was on the xeloda/tykerb trial someone (perhaps you?) brought this up. I mentioned it to my medical team and they very kindly checked my levels for this at the next blood tests. Anything we can do to help manage these symptoms is helpful - thanks for thinking of us!!

Kind regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
hutchibk

My nutritionist (cancer specific) suggested that it is definitely showing up more with the "nibs" that are used for the colorectal cancers. But they said that it was a good idea to stay on a mag supplement and that I should be getting enough in my Cal/Mag that I take to mitigate whatever Tykerb might do to magnesium depletion.

Also, for the diarrhea, they suggested not to take immodium, as it's not good to stop the system entirely on a regular basis. They suggested regulating it with small doses of Bentonite clay or carob powder. (1 tblsp of either with juice or apple sauce x once or twice a day as needed.) Both have absorptive qualities.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
margo

I was having a problem with my magnesium level during Herceptin treatment.

I started eating a square of dark chocolate (60%) every other day to raise my magnesium level, rather than take a supplement. My blood work is done weekly, and I have seen my levels rise to well inside the normal range.

M

Diagnosed 08/2004 @ 45; Metaplastic Breast Cancer (MpBC)
Stage IV, HER2 3+, ER-/PR-, Met to Liver

08/2004 - Neo-adjuvant Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin (TCH) - 4 rounds.
09/2004 -
Herceptin - Weekly.
11/2004 - Liver RFA, followed w/TCH - 2 rounds.
12/2004 - Lumpectomy, axillary node dissection, followed w/TCH - 2 rounds.
05/2005 - Radiation - Breast, shoulder, neck (left side) - 35X
09/2005 - Developed severe osteoporosis - Boniva - monthly
04/2008 - Herceptin - Every 3 weeks (changed from weekly).
05/2012 - Mets: 3 new liver and 2 lymph nodes.
06/2012 - Start 16 rounds Navelbine and Herceptin weekly.
11/2012 - Liver resection, RFAs (8), lymphadenectomy (2), cholecystectomy.
12/2012 - Herceptin and Letrozole.
05/2014 - Mets: 5 aortocaval nodes & 1 mesenteric.
06/2014 - Herceptin/Perjeta/Taxotere - 6 rounds.
10/2014 - Herceptin / Perjeta - Open ended
04/2015 - Progression: Porta hepatic node, 2 aortocaval nodes.
05/2015 - Exploratory surgery treating progression, 12 nodes removed.
07/2015 - Restart Herceptin / Perjeta
01/2016 - Progression 8 nodes.
02/2016 - Starting T-DM1 (Kadcyla) - Open ended.
07/2017 - Progression.
margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
hutchibk

Thanks Margo - nice to know that my weekly bar of dark chocolate is even healthier than I thought it was!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote