HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
Anonymous

Hi Erin,
I also had lobular ca,stage IIIB, her+3, hr+, original dx 11/00. Recurrence to bones 12/02. Am currently doing very well on herceptin/navalbene. No one spoke to me about a bilateral mastectomy prior to my surgery (and I was probably negligent in my exploration of information), and when it finally was brought up by my surgeon, it was the wk of my surgery and I freaked! I didn't have enough time to think it thru clearly and so I opted only for the removal of the breast with the tumor...I'm so glad you have the time to weigh your options! I wanted to proceed with reconstruction asap but radiation caused hardening of the muscles and tendon and the plastics guy sd I wdn't be happy with implants. (He had planned to "boost" the healthy breast in addition to implanting the missing one.) He suggested the tram flap which I didn't like the thought of and thus have done nothing to date. (Please note what Linda from CA said about that. My physical therapist expressed the same concerns that hers did.) I have to tell you, even tho my recurrence has already happened, I fear at risk of a 2nd cancer developing in the healthy breast and truly wish I had gone the bilateral route with expanders put in at the time of surgery. Implants may not have mirrored my natural breasts but I get tired of the prosthesis! I am 56, married, work full time, and lead a physically active lifestyle. I don't know if my "story" helps you at all....but this is one sister who wished she'd had the "healthy" breast removed! I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and recover...keep us posted!
Take good care,
Jackie