HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Pray

Question?

When dx I had surgery first and then had a pet scan so we would have a base line. (it was neg.) then I had chemo, rad. and am almost 3 yrs out (in Nov.) There is no need to have another pet scan is there?

Thank you for any input!
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
NEDenise

Re: Question?

Hey Girl!
Just my humble opinion...
Given with huge doses of love and concern...
No vast medical knowledge...
But some very real first-hand experience...
I think you're okay on the PET scan front...

BUT
PLEASE, PLEASE...for me, if for no other reason...insist on an MRI of your brain. It's completely painless, and as Lani just posted...

Almost
40% of node positive, stage 3, HER2 women (that's you and me Nancy!) end up with brain mets, after successful treatment with Herceptin.

The cancer beasties have nowhere else to hide, so they go off to our brains...where Herceptin can't get them..it's too big to get into our brains! Until a post-treatment MRI, or concurrent treatment with Tykerb AND Herceptin becomes "standard of care" (and it WILL become standard of care...it HAS to) ...we have to be pro-active...and INSIST.

Nancy, and all my other node-positive friends out there...you have absolutely NOTHING to lose by insisting on the MRI...and so much to lose, if you don't catch brain mets early (God forbid!).

Again...JMHO...sent with TONS of love...
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
JennyB

Denise I read the figure as nearly 40% of those that do metastasize rather than of those diagnosed? I hope that figure is correct!!! Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part?

Jenny
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
tricia keegan

My Onc usually just gives scans if there's pain or symptoms but having read Denise and Lani's posts I'm going to ask about a brain MRI when I next see her
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
NEDenise

Jenny,
I just reread Lani's original post, and the update she added later. And...truthfully...I'm not sure what the exact answer is...

I am no expert...that's for sure!

but I usually go with...
Better safe than sorry...soooo...I'd still ask for the MRI...I'd even feel okay lying about symptoms in order to get it!
Denise
11/11 radiation x28
7/10/12 last Herceptin
8/23/12 Back to work
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
Old 08-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
JennyB

I hear you Denise and I will be trying to get one in Sept when I see my new Onc. I do worry that I scan first think later sometimes but on this one an MRI is a no brainer!!

Jenny
Stage 3a Grade 3
25 Rads June '11
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Old 08-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
LeahM

OK. I'm stage 2 but still worry about this. No PET ever done. And i have expanders which means no MRI until they come out. Which won't be till about 6 months after rads. And rads won't start till Nov so expanders will be in till at least next June.

So what do stage 2 expander folks do??
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
hutchibk

I had a baseline PET when I finished chemo... about 9 months after I completed the very first chemo. I was stage 2B. I was too early, though, to get Herceptin, so I did not get Herceptin until I recurred 14 months later.

I have never been a stranger to PETs... have had about 6 of them over time, and my onc has used them when he needed to, to find out what is going on. He is very, very thorough. I actually thank goodness for them (especially the baseline to start with) as I believe they have extended my life... (7 years as a stage IV survivor).

I am not about to tell you what to do, but I did a PET and a brain MRI within the first couple of years after chemo.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Lani

Spent 45 mintues composing and although signed in had my post rejected and lost. Then tried again for another 10 minutes , ditto

Here is my last attempt with what I copied and pasted into an email the first time (I have had lots of bad experiences with this here and it is one of the reasons I don't reply)

Unedited prior version previously rejected by me but not worth editing:
I think you misinterpreted both me and the abstract

Very very few her2+ patients recurred in their REAL WORLD non-clinical trial study especially compared to the numbers who recurred without benefit of herceptin treatment

Upon reading the article only about 29% of those who did not get herceptin did not get chemo either, however (I guess British Columbia had very different guidelines than the US during that period)

What was of concern was the percentage of those FEW who did recur who recurred in the CNS first. Most oncologists believe (or have quoted time and time again at conferences, discussions associated with conferences, etc) that it is extremely unlikely for the brain to be the first site of presentation of metastasis in brain cancer.

Well it looks like that is not true for her2+ breast cancer and certainly NOT for her2+ breast cancer treated with herceptin where it was in this combined retrospective study in British Columbia about 40% of those who metastasized first metastasized to their brain.

Even if that is 40% of a small number of patients it is patients whose fate can be easily
improved upon by catching it early when it can be treated with SRS. There are some on this board whom oncologists would deem cured of her2+ breast cancer brain mets (our founder, Christine, Steph and others) There should be a great deal of emphasis in looking at other REAL WORLD studies to see if they confirm this high rate of CNS as first site of her2+ breast cancer metastasis. There should also be studies to try to determine biomarkers in the blood indicating i a reasonable suspicion that bc has spread, if not indicative of brain mets themselves, as they would probably have to brain MRI 100 her2+ breast cancer patients many times (noone knows how often it need be done) before finding 1-2 who might have a positive finding and need treatment.

The "old" philosophy of waiting for bones to break, patients to have loss of vision or seizures or have trouble breathing rather than looking for early signs of recurrence when there might be some who are curable (oligometastatic bone, perhaps some oligometastatic small brain mets, oligometastatic liver involvement with surgical or embolic therapy, etc stands in the way of our discovering if there is a subclass or subclasses of patients whose course can be meaningfully altered by earlier diagnosis of metastases. Sticking to the old dictum not to look for metastases as it will not change the fact that the average survival of Stage IV patients is 2 years totally ignores the progress made in dividing out subtypes of breast cancer and treating them differently and in so doing changing the natural history of the disease in those patients. By not attempting to divide out the subtypes where early diagnosis might make a difference, they may be unnecessarily dooming some patients and of meaningful longer lives with good quality of life and they may also be obscuring the discovery of better treatments.

Down with nihilism--but don't drain the treasury performing the wrong tests on those unlikely to benefit either.

The I-Spy trial is looking for biomarkers to help decide who will and will not benefit from which tests and treatments. Some reports based on it are becoming available. It can't be too soon.

Off the soapbox
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
JennyB

Thank you as ever Lani for taking the time to clarify I appreciate all you do for this site immensely.

Jenny
Stage 3a Grade 3
25 Rads June '11
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Old 08-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #11
Ellie F

Lani
Thank you so much for all the time and effort on our behalf.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
LeahM

Thank you Lani for all this info...You really help me to better understand what I am going thru and should be doing.

All you ladies are so wonderful!
Leah
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
tricia keegan

Thank you from me too Lani!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
NEDenise

Well said, Lani! (as ever!)
Thanks for clarifying!
Denise
11/11 radiation x28
7/10/12 last Herceptin
8/23/12 Back to work
Old 08-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Rolepaul

I agree with Lani for the most part. We need a good tumor marker test and the ones that exist are not quite there. I disagree with Lani on the fact that testing too many for Brain/spine nerve involvement is not helping. To say that 1 or 2 out of a hundred will be all that is found is something I disagree with, but I am in the minority. Until additional studies state how often BC Her+ patients get CNS mets, and there is a study to note how many deaths occur from this outcome, nobody can say who is right. I talk to some of the leading researchers and CNS involvement is likely 30% of the time for mets. And mets are very low in the first two years if Herceptin and chemo are used initially. Five to eight years out, the studies are just coming in and the data being analyzed. Until this data shows very few women getting CNS involvement, I will state my opinion that if you have three or more positive nodes are they are HER+, you need to look at brain MRI scans at years 2, 4, and 6. This reduces the patient level to something that is supportable with the current system. The next question is what is the tumor size where SRS is going to be effective, what other treatments work. The difference is that my patient of one (Nina my wife) missed the odds on not getting any mets, missed the odds on successful SRS and oral chem, and is beating the odds on spine involvement. Lani is right that the odds favor no involvement, but I bought flood insurance for a home that had not see high water for 45 years. The consequences of not getting a CNS diagnosis early are too severe to ignore.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
carlatte7

asking my onco tomorrow...only had 1 + node out of 14, but also have had migraines for 26 years. I was always afraid of not knowing I was having a stroke, now I worry about brain mets.
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
Pray

Thank you Lani! Your amazing! Thank you too Denise and Rolepaul and everyone else here for responding. Priceless!

Denise, I did have an mri at least 8 months ago (ned). My migraine meds stopped working and they started to come more frequently.

I see my onc. in sept. and will discuss then. I go every three months now and I always seem to think of a good question after I have seen him.

Thanks again everyone I really like this site a lot! I am very thankfull of all the knowledge and Support!
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
Lani

perhaps I did not express myself well (third time trying to poat it and all) or maybe Rolepaul misinterpreted me

I had no problem with them getting brain MRIs if only 1 or 2 in 100 found a tumor that could be treated and change the course/ time course of the disease. I put in x times which is the problem-- it is unknown how many times/how often you would have to do MRI scans to pick up the tumors in time to have meaningful treatment. Would one need scans once a year, twice a year, every month?? Multiplying 1 to 2 in 100 by how many times the test needed to be done might result in one positive test for every 10000scans performed if tests were performed often enough(say 50 scans) Noone knows at present how frequently they need to be done to catch things in time.

. That is what I see the problem is and why we need a test which more people can access (worldwide, the minority of people have access to MRI testing) , can be repeated frequently if it is found that is needed, and hopefully whose cost allows such frequent testing. I do not believe a value can be placed on human life so my problem is not with the cost, but with how often it need be done and making the test accessible to as many as possible.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #19
Rolepaul

Lani,
I agree on a test using a blood sample, urine sample, or even a spinal fluid sample would be great. We saw markers and cells in the blood and CFS for Nina (and we saw them clear in the tests as well), so we know that there is something on the horizon. And I mean in the next two or three years. The brain MRI every two years is just to get those currently with disease to that point. The three node concept is a good starting point until these tests get in place. I was on the first PSA five minute test kit manufacturing team. I know what it takes to get a test to be widely accepted. We are doing CPR on a patient that has had a heart attack, trying to keep them alive until they get to the hospital coronary care specialist. I plan on keeping pushing until something better can be put in place, and than I will support that. We could run protein and glucose on CFS samples for at risk women and that would keep us from doing unneeded MRI scans or as a backup for not having MRI scans available. Tests are under $50 and pulling a CNS sample can be done by a good RN. But will it detect the lesions under 2 cm that it needs to? I can give lots of reasons why we did the course for Nina, and the cost was financially very high. I will tell you that Nina's case opened my eyes to this matter and I would never have gotten to this point without her disease occurring. At the same time, it has become personal and I think I have a good background to get direction for progress in diagnosis and treatment going. I would love to have the "Magic Bullet" of the mid-1980s Monoclonal Antibody go from everywhere but the CNS, to now include the CNS. CNS HER+ involvement does not need to be an end of life situation as the many participants here can tell you. Research will help those in the future, I want to help those that find out they have the disease now.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote