HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #21
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation CanSer holds opportunities galore

The TV show is on WED Chrisy and all -- TLC 9:. I saw her on the Today Show this A.M. The book is CRAZY SEXY CANCER *TIPS*. She's a Warrior, 4 yr Survivor and a ?vascular cancer. Told incurable. WE KNOW. Inoperable. SUCKS. No known treatment. She took the challenge and traveled everywhere for potential therapies, thinking out of the box. I'm going to check out the site Chrisy, but right off I loved her Spirit. She looked serene. Ann Curry mentioned how cancer patients often say it is the best thing that ever happened to them. Which I concur with, odd as it sounds. It was a major turning point in my life, A CATALYST for propelling me forward and upward, Spiritually and philosophically. My relationships became heightened with a crazy sexy LOVE. Paul and I held hands every where. We looked into each other's eyes more. We reached for each other across the pillows in the middle of the night because we were so scared and because this made us feel stronger and more protected. We cherished each day and one another more than ever.

My daughter's stopped hassling me over silly little things they'd ordinarily pull, proclaiming hurt feelings over the most absurd comments I'd make (distorted their intention entirely). With bc dx came I admire you, you're amazing, you're so strong and courageous, I'm so proud of you, I'm so lucky to have you in my life as my Mother, I love you, along with small kindesses and hovering, cards full of beautiful expressions of their deepest feelings.

Priorities rearranged themselves immediately. The annoying chipped paint on my front door (in the middle of the winter in NY when you had to wait to have it repainted) didn't really matter anymore. Even though it was the first thing I saw each and every day I got out of the car and walked in to my house. Piddly dumb stuff. Look at that sky. That tree! I'd go in the house and feed my dogs and water my plants and see how lucky I was. I knew from the getgo, despite my stage fourness, that it could be so very much worse. I see people in parking lots who can barely walk, and I'm not talking about elderly people, people with deformed faces and obviously mentally challenged. My Mother was in a Nursing Home unable to remember her name or who I was, she couldn't walk, talk, ask for a drink of water when she was thirsty, or a sweater when she was cold. She couldn't seem to follow conversation, she couldn't read or feed herself or go to the bathroom herself or bathe herself.

I felt that all the horrid side effects would eventually pass, or at least lessen considerably, and in the end the canSer (thanks Chrisy, I just LOVE pissing off canSer!) would be snuffed out and brought in to control. Incurable. Yeah, I know. So. It's a chronic disease under containment. That's the first goal. Then, staying there! Like acne, you may have a flare up, but you work really really hard and you master the canSer.

When Paul and I were first married, a really nice, slightly older attorney in his office, Joe, who thought I was beautiful but liked to irritate me, would say OH HI SANDY! every time he saw me. My name isn't Sandy. Oh, no? Oh, that's right. ANDY. Actually, Andi, I'd laugh, but cringe inside. After years of this, I finally wised up. As I'd meet Joe I'd say, Oh hi MOE. You should have seen his face! It's JOE. My name is Joe. Oh, yeah, right. Joe. And he never called me anything but Andi ever again.

So canSer, take your incurable self and get away from you. There's no room in my life for the likes of you. You stink. And so does the chemo, but at least it serves a useful purpose. Annihilating you, canSer.

Sending loving, healing energy to all those on this canSer adventure. I don't even want to call it a fight anymore. I work toward *medalling* in this race. I'm done struggling and battling. No one wants to be on the canSer journey, but once you find yourself there, kick it's butt and get on w/Life. It does make you realize how fortunate we are to have all we have despite the necessary losses. Life has never been sweeter. Wishing you WOW Now moments all day, every day.... MUCH LOVE TO ALL MY SISTER AND BROTHERS, Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #22
chrisy

Oh, You Mean It's Still August????

I guess I've been WAY too busy - I'm already thinking into next week. Glad I get a chance to see it!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:39 AM   #23
TriciaK

Is it too late to see this program? I really loved all the comments it engendered here, especially the ones by Andi! It is amazing how much she and I think alike. I do have to add a comment about scars: I not only have the scars from BC surgery, but a lovely zipper right down the middle from neck to navel, from open heart surgery, plus long lumpy scars down my left inner thigh and leg where they pulled the veins to turn into arteries for my triple bypass. It happens, though , that my wonderful husband has a zipper, too, and scars on his left leg to match mine, as he had a quadruple bypass 2 months after mine, all last year. How's that for togehterness? Speaking of TV shows, has anyone seen "A Side Order of Life", I think on LIFETIME channel? It has a young woman (the main character's best friend) who has just been diagnosed with Cancer, I'm not sure what kind. It gets pretty racy---like her onc just prescribed a dildo??!!) But sometimes it is quite poignant too, like the girl's comment after her first chemo that she used to think humans were at the top of the food chain, but now she thinks cancer is. I don't agree and don't think any of you warriors would either, but it is interesting. The scene where she loses a handful of her long hair in the shower is poignant too. I am not recommending the show especially but found it interesting and wonder how many times they will hit the mark and how many times they will be way off. Hugs to you all! Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 AM   #24
mamacze

Talking

I am opening a box of Kleenix and holding my sides from laughing so hard; this thread was my "wow, now" moment of the morning! This show will grab my attention - I turned off my cable and put my television in the attic last year...I will have to run over to my dear neighbors to watch it; but its sounds like it will have some motivating tidbits. Thanks for the heads-up Chelee!
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #25
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Thumbs up Words To Live By

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!" - Anon

This is a quote our Joe shared in some post a while back. I had to copy it. Now seems an appropriate time to pass the wisdom on. Especially, after reading about Tricia's ZIPPER, and the matching set on her husband's torso. WOW WHAT A RIDE! (I also love your posts Tricia! And your Spirit! You are a most intriguing sexy gal!) LOVE TO Y'ALL... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #26
Jade

Smile My Goat Has Been Got!!

Hey, why don't they do a whole series?!! How about "Crazy Sexy Diabetes", "Crazy Sexy Arthritis", let's not 'forget' "Crazy Sexy Alzheimers" or my personal favourite "Crazy Sexy AIDS". This may be a great show but I really object to the cheap, cheesy use of the word "sexy" in the title to garner attention/ratings. There is nothing sexy about this despicable disease. Period.
Aug.05 - began Herceptin every 3 weeks for 1 year
Aug.06 - ended treatment
NED
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:16 AM   #27
fauxgypsy

I have to say that I was disapointed in the show. I was hoping for something with a little more meat to it. I would have liked to see more about the breast cancer survivor's and the rocker's experiences. I feel like the show lived down to its title. There were some poignant parts but it seemed to me and my friend like a continuation of the actress's childhood movies and her career.

I would really like to see some films or news that feature people like many of the women on this board who have lived through years of treatment and all of the indignities and pain and still smile. Women who don't have celebrity, big money, or power backing them up. women who had to fight to get their treatments. Women who have had to struggle because they don't have insurance, women who are single parents who struggle to pay their bills and keep their children fed, all those brave women that I have met or whose posts I have read. The ones that have lost friends or spouses because they just got tired of deaking with a person with chronic illness. and they still smile.

I have been one of the lucky ones so far, and I am very aware of this. I was unisurable but I got Medicaid through the Breast and Cervicle Cancer screening program, our small house is paid for, and at the moment we have no car payment. I have been able to work some and sell some art work. I have salable tallents. But there are so many people out there who do not have options and no one is telling their stories. It is a lot easier to upbeat when you know how your going to feed your family, when you have someone to depend on when the going gets really rocky. I can turn on the tv at almost any hour and find some story about a poor person in another country who isn't getting the health care they need but in our country we want to put a rosy spin on everything. Yet in our own country we ignore the employers who make up reasons to take away the jobs of cancer patients, we turn a blind eye to those who are unisurable, who work for companies that are too small or too greedy to provide benefits, much less the salary to buy them on their own. But I sat there and watched people learn how to stuff wheat grass juice where the sun doesn't shine and no one on screen even laughed. One of the women I talk to occasionally lost her job recently, she has a mortgage and is in the middle of treatment. Another was told by a large chain store that has flexible scheduling that they couldn't work around her radiation schedule and so she lost her job. Cobra is all well and good but only if you can afford to keep it.

I almost wrote an apology for being on my soap box but I am not going to. These are much more real issues than macrobiotic diets and wheat grass cures. I know that we would all be better off if we ate better diets but when a gallon of milk cost close to an hour's wages, olive oil and fresh veggies are not the priorities.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #28
Sheila

I saw it last night on TLC....she was motivating....full of energy..oh yeah, and younger than me...she is a guest speaker at the Chicago CURE forum the 8-9 of September.....I may go!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #29
BonnieR

I agree with Leslie. I was disappointed in the show. It started out with such promise. I thought that the 2 hours were really squandered. I would like to have seen more variety of stories and experiences... She is obviously talented. I wish she had used it better....

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #30
tammymarie1971

I totally agree with Leslie!!! I watched the show and really thought that it didn't really do the whole cancer struggle justice. There is no doubt that Kris has talent and had her struggle.....but....... She didn't go through debilitating surgeries, chemo or radiation. I am not taking away the anxiety of waiting for the results of all her scans...we all know how tough that is, she was told that it was an extremely slow growing cancer which could lay dormant for a long time, but the show made it seem that it was her lifestyle change that halted the cancer...who is to say that she wouldn't of had the same results without all the 24/7 obsession with what went into and out of her body and really enjoyed mealtimes and going for dinner with friends and not feeling so isolated with the lifestyle changes.

Last year I went to Mexico for treatment. I was very strict with myself no white flour, no sugar, no carbonated drinks, no alcohol, no pork, no tomatoes and no vinegar I took at least 50 pills a day and a tonic (hoxsey) for 4 months...When I went back to Mexico after all this it showed my cancer grew!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not saying Mexico treatments don't work, I met people that were truly helped and I saw first hand miracles...But the amount of devotion it takes to follow very strict diet regulations is not my idea of living and enjoying life!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never felt so isolated or miserable then I did in those 4 months, I also have a husband and 4 children to cook for and it was just tough, I wish it wasn't so expensive to buy better quality food too.
I'm not sure what I am trying to say except that you can do everything right and die and do everything wrong an live...In the end we all die! No one is immortal!!!!!!

However I have to say that in just a short time I bring my baby to KINDERGARTEN!!!! I was pregnant with him when dx'd and after all the recurrences and so forth I did not think I would live to see this day!! I was scheduled for chemo on his first day!!! Hmmmmmmmm chemo or bringing my last baby to kindergarten...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. DUH!!!!!!!
Have a great day everyone and enjoy life don't be held prisoner to canser!!( I love the idea of mis-spelling the word)
I may need reminding me of the prisoner thing when I am having a bad day!!
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #31
PinkGirl

disappointed

I watched the entire movie because I found Kris to be very likeable and interesting to listen to. The movie was not what I expected. I think people who do not have "canser" probably got more out of it than "we" did. I expected more.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #32
Karen Weixel

I thought her documentary was wonderful. Kris has great strength and a beautiful spirit.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #33
harrie

I think it is very much possible to still remain sexy and beautiful, inside and out, even after having a double mastectomy, reconstruction, chemo, ovaries out, and the works. I honestly mean every single word of that.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #34
PinkGirl

Question who watched it?

There were 26 posts before the movie aired and only 7 after.
Did you guys watch it???

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #35
harrie

I have watched half so far. Have not had time to watch it all yet. So far it is interesting.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #36
Gerri

I recorded it and watched it yesterday. I thought Kris was delightful and upbeat in spite of facing unknown odds with such a rare cancer. This documentary was a video diary of HER life with HER type of cancer and the people she interacted with. She doesn't have a pink ribbon symbolizing her disease or millions of people rallying around raising money for a cure. She had to search on her own to find a doctor who was familiar with her type of cancer. I didn't come away with the impression that eating healthy and drinking wheat grass (or stuffing it) is what stablized her disease. Rather, I think she tried to be proactive and do SOMETHING until her tumor advanced to the point where her doctor thought treatment was warranted. Don't we all do the same thing? Vitamins, supplements, avoid this, try that, we'll do anything if we think it will help fight this beast. The fact that she did not have surgery or go through chemotherapy in my mind does not diminish the anguish she too faces fighting for her life. Cancer is UGLY no matter what part of the body it attacks.

I commend her for her courage. What a beautiful spirit!
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #37
Catherine

This is great reading

I finally took time to scan this sexy post. I am giggling and plan to come back to the post and read them all. We are a wild bunch.

Drugs, Sex, Rock and Roll. I guess it applies to we warriors.

Past my bedtime, more reading in a few days.

Hugs to all, Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #38
madubois63

I for one, am a big believer in drugs, Sex and Rock n Roll!!! I don't drink, but I've always got the best prescription med's going. I am not having sex now, but after leaving my husband, being diagnosed a month later and then meeting someone that got me through my first fight...it was the best sex ever! I held on to "it" for dear life. Not only did it relieve pain and keep me mentally sound (somewhat), it made me feel alive and remember what I was living for. As to Rock n Roll, that is another thing that has kept me sane (yeah, yeah - somewhat). When I was in my early 20's, I worked at a radio station and was able to go to hundreds of concerts for free - backstage passes and all. Then I grew up and got a real job, became a mom and lost me somewhere along the way. At 14, my daughter found music, and we found common ground. I thought it was a perfect way to stay in her world, especially after the cancer. I took her to small shows and big shows. We started going out of state, and then the big one for her 16th birthday. Instead of a party, Shannon, her best friend Amanda and I drove to Ohio to see her favorite band on her birthday (I live in NY). Actually, it was a four day road trip, and we had a blast!!!! 2 Concerts, Hershey park and lots of laughs. I did end up in the hospital a few times after some of the concerts, but I lived in between - that's what matters most. I missed a few concerts and watched my daughter on the Today Show from the hospital (I should have been there). I also took up scrap booking because of rock n roll. I saved all her tickets, bumpers stickers, pictures - a ton of stuff. While in the hospital and in my bed at home, I cut, and pasted and designed the most amazing book for my daughter. Then came the heavy, heavy duty steroids. I could not sleep or sit still. I scrap-booked EVERYTHING! It kept my mind busy. So what does this have to do with the movie? I only saw a half hour of it, and I just have a personal problem with everything on tv about cancer. Yeah, yeah...I have a rare cancer. Yeah, yeah it's incurable and inoperable. I've been told I'm dying more times than anyone of these people that make movies and write books. At this point, there is not much they can teach me. Why should I sit around and waste 2 hours of my life to watch someone else be hooked up to a pump (I name and decorate mine). Melissa stopped Taxol treatment because she didn't want neuropathy to ruin her money making fingers. Suzanne is just lucky that her cancer was found early and that she had enough standard treatment BEFORE the mistletoe (in my opinion). Sheryl had early stage bc. And even Lance just did it once (glad for him). They have all raised awareness and money, and I am not making any less of what they've done, but I am well aware of this disease. Someone needs to stop making socks with pink ribbons on them and find a freaking cure! Instead of watching the rest of the movie, I am going to collect shells on the beach!!!! Love to all of you - THE REAL HERO'S!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 AM   #39
Jeanette

Talking

My sentiments exactly, Jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #40
PinkGirl

interesting reactions

I am wondering why I can go "back and forth" on this. At times I actually enjoy sporting all of my pink stuff (car magnets, ribbons, pins, my pink hair) and at other times I totally agree with Madame DuBois and just want to live my life. At times I want to read every canser book out there, and at other times I avoid the word. Maybe I was in one of my moods and wanted this movie to reflect my adventure - it certainly didn't do that.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album