HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Chelee

Crazy sexy cancer on "TLC" channel..

I was watching the "TLC" channel on cable & caught a commercial about a program coming up on Wednesday August 29th called, "Crazy sexy cancer". I believe its going to be following five women's journey's through breast cancer. Sorry but I did not catch what time it was on? Maybe someone else on this board knows? Just thought I would give those of you interested in it a heads up in case you want to watch it.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Jen

Premiere of Crazy Sexy Cancer (TLC); 9:00-11:00pm (ET/PT)
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Melinda

Here is the link to get an idea of what it is about.... sounds very interesting! Wish I had TiVo!

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/specials...xy-cancer.html
Melinda
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Sherryg683

"Sexy"???...bad word to use in my opinion..nothing sexy about it to me..lol..sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
Chelee

Sherry, I have to admit, the name of the show turned me off instantly. I had the same feelings you did about throwing the word *sexy* in there. If I ever felt sexy before bc...I certainly don't now. After you have your breast removed and an ooph or hysterectomy, sexy is the furthest thing from my mind unfortunately. It might grab someones attention to the program...but I would of came up with something other then that. lol I read the explanation of why she choose that for the title of her show in the link Melinda provided...but it still doesn't work for me. Ha!

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
tousled1

I have my DVR all ready to record the movie.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
fauxgypsy

While I am looking forward to seeing the film, I must say I don't care much for the title. There is a forum at the link posted previously. There is a debate going on about the name. And of course I had an opinion. Only one of the five women featured in the film is a breast cancer survivor. While I know that all cancer survivors share a lot of the same problems, breast cancer deals a blow to the very heart of our cultural ideals of femininity and each one of us has to deal with this in their own way. I don't feel less atractive to my husband but I must say that I feel much less physically attractive to the world at large. I know that I am the same woman, that inside nothing has changed. But the outside certainly has. Right now I have a crew cut a marine sargeant would be proud of. My husband loves all of me (mind and body) but much of the world trades on appearances. I have not recovered enough yet to get fitted for a prosthesis and am making do for now. When I do wear something to go out in I am constantly checking to make sure it is place, As many of you know, it tends to ride up on the mastectomy side, giving a really perky breast on one side. If I left it alone I would look like I had a teenage boob, nearly under my chin, with gravity having affected only one side. I wish I had the self confidence to just go without but I don't and even then I don't feel that it would be appropriate in a business situation, where I need to project confidence and ability in order to sell my work, not draw attention to my illness.

Leslie

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
SoCalGal

I am stunned that they made a show that involves crazy, sexy and cancer and SOMEHOW I am not the star of this show. Can't wait to see my twin. LOL.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
SoCalGal

Wink sexy - yea baby

I have to just say, after reading Chelee's reply that I've learned that "sexy" is a state of mind and only that. I am living proof. I have the most cut and scared body - nothing looks "normal" unless fully clothed. AND I found myself SINGLE after a long marriage and for sure said to myself "I will NEVER be brave enough to let anyone see me naked and I will just NEVER have sex again". AND then I met a hot guy, 2 years ago (he'd love that description). I have felt sexy from the moment we met and became an expert at flirty lingerie. He made me feel like a woman again, and it wasn't simple but it was easy. And that's pretty good for an old chick. So, I am living proof that sexy is all in the head and how you feel about yourself. Despite my stage four-ness, I feel sexy! Hope this gives you something to ponder. Love yourself first and others will follow. xo Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Crazy Cancer

Flori, Flori, Morning Glory. You never stop making me laugh! But your post is also quite pithy. I absolutely agree that my body is not a pretty sight (in all its nakedness). Scars from hip to hip, from my tram flap reconstruction job, and a thing that looks almost like another belly button but isn't. The real navel is a bit off center, and *bothers my eye*. (I'd insisted on having the two surgeries on the same table at the same time.)

I'm numb from the pubic bone up to the place my brilliant surgeon handmade my new breast from spare body parts. Nurses tell me it's a great job, though I think of it as a reasonable facsimile. They tell you -- you should see some of the women who come in here. That's a great job. They couldn't save the skin from my mastectomy and warned me that the belly skin would be lighter in color. I looked at my stomach and decided no big deal. Well, after surgery, meeting the doc in my hospital room the next day, with my head in my lap as I could not raise it and my doc was insistent on getting me up -- I asked my beloved doc, When do you take the bandage off. I'd sneaked a peak, with my head down there anyway. What bandage, he asked? Of my God, I realized -- that is my new breast. I look like a patchwork quilt! And, as they went wide around the margins, the circle of scar that surrounds my new breast comes way above the bra line. So v necks are virtually out. Cami's are in -- so I don't draw attention to the odd mix of normal skin and what the hell is that.

I'm numb in the malformed armpit of the affected area and inside my upper arm. My real breast is pretty perky for a 62 yr old boob, whereas my manmade breast is way higher. A good bra evens thinks out, mostly. My hair came back but not my hairline. My brows never returned and was given some stray lashes that I plump up with mascara base + mascara, creating an illusion. I wore a wig when bald, emulating my once thick wavy locks. I learned to shake it out vigorously and then run my fingers through it when I put it on as if it was MINE, making it look more real. Some makeup and earrings (a must for me) made me look normal. Others always told me, You can't be sick, you look great. I felt SEXY. I feel SEXY. I even look SEXY CRAZY NORMAL. No one knows the truth, but my Paul. And he tells me I am perfect, just the way I am. He says it w/such genuine and loving verve, he makes me want to cry (w/joy).

Sexy is a frame of mind. Like Flori, my wonderful ladies, my stage *fourness* is just a number. Like *incurable* is just a perspective. When I was told that glum factor, along with *inoperable*, I thought I would die right there in the doctor's office. It was all over. The end of the line. Hopeless. Staring at chemo for the rest of life, and knowing I couldn't live like that. Then, came the miracle. My Spirit guided me on this incredible Spiritual path and Herceptin came into my life!! Both saved me and leave me feeling joyful and harmonious, most days.

I was always a bit crazy. I like to think of me as special, unique, my own person, with passionate beliefs all over the place. As my daughter says, I'm usually right (and yes, that is soooo annoying, keeping it to myself when I am bursting to *share* my wisdom w/others, because I truly care). My daughters both tell me I have no tact. Diplomacy and the need to be honest are always fighting in my head. And truth invariably wins out. But, despite the (mostly temporary) baldness and loss of my breast, my hairline, my widows peak, my brows and lashes forever -- you can most definitely look, and most importantly, FEEL sexy as hell. Even being overweight which is the final insult, as I eat RIGHT and don't *deserve* to be cherubic, I think of myself of curvy (which is accurate). Voluptuous. It's the idea in your head of who you are and how you accept and love yourself that you project. And that energy is read by others and responded to in kind. People tell me, You're a beautiful woman. They have no idea of the Godzilla side of me that greets me in the mirror in the morning. Then, I create the me I want to be. I feel better, cheerier, more energized and ready to meet the world. I'm pretty hot for an old chick I dare say. I do the best I can. I give it my all. I look confident and serene, and that's precisely how I feel, despite all the unwanted realities of my life.

I don't look at cancer as the grim reaper. I refuse to buy in to the whispered and profoundly felt fear that comes with the mere mention of the word. I honestly think less people would die from the dastardly disease if they managed not to get caught up in the waves of frightful energy that the idea of cancer evokes. IF ONE PERSON HAS SURVIVED YOUR TYPE OF CANCER -- YOU CAN SURVIVE. Take that thought and run with it.

Sending happy, healing, loving vibes to my fellow sexy, brave, determined, amazing, bright and wonderful Warriors all... Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Patb

I just received the book crazy sexy cancer tips by kris carr.
Who knew?
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
lilyecuadorian

I'm felling sexy sometimes ..and please we are not the worst ..we are beatifull and with nice bodies no complete ...but nice ..I know or I see peoples way way BAD 300 pounds o more ..(no offence )...so Im felling ok ...if I was'nt sick ...it will be perfect ....LOL ..is too many things that we have ...and others no .....so the only thing that really need is a miracle-cure for all her2 group .........only good health ...enough for me
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
Sherryg683

I'm not saying you that you can't have cancer and be sexy. It's just the title "crazy sexy cancer"...makes it sound like cancer is sexy . I think we all will agree it's not. Just think the title is tacky. It's like "sex" sells and they are trying to capitalize on it ...sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
Joy

Andi and Flori...

You gals rock. I laughed so hard and felt so encouraged by your posts I ended up with happy tears. One thing that I think is sexy about cancer is the strength that we have that many don't possess. Being strong, to me, is sexy, whether you are female or male. And let me tell you ladies, we got strength!!!

thank you, thank you for your posts and sharing, they will be read and reread!

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Karen Weixel

My husband and I were talking about this last night. He mentioned that he thought the title meant that Kris, even with the horrible cancer and prognosis she has, is still; crazy, sexy and has cancer all at the same time.

I think, like anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer, she is just trying to make sense of what is happening to her body and life.

Just my two cents.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Cancer Schmantzer

Karen, I agree w/your hubby. I was remembering Fran Dresher's book CANCER SCHMANTZER. It's time, I think, to bring cancer out of the closet. To stop being afraid to mention the word let alone discuss the issues, as we all do so freely. Thank God for the millionth time for this fabulous venue and you fantastic WINNERS!

Our society can't seem to address death either. People don't know what to say to those stricken in any case. Many hide. Some sign their names to a card, send flowers or books, at a loss for words.

I found great comfort from the cards, flowers and books, from the calls from people I didn't think remembered me or ever even noticed me! I deeply appreciated when some said, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. That was a good one. And it was great when I kept hearing, You're a strong woman, if anyone can beat this you can! Or your amazing, you're so brave! I wasn't brave, I thought, I was just doing what had to be done. Then I read that THE BRAVEST ARE SURELY THOSE WHO HAVE THE CLEAREST VISION OF WHAT IS BEFORE THEM.. AND YET... GO OUT TO MEET IT. I stretched for grace. I reached up for dignity. I put my best face on, my wig and obligatory earrings (like underpants) -- wore a smile on my face, and forged on. I was NOT going to curl up into a fetal position and mourn my impending doom. I was NOT ready to make funeral plans. I was envisioning myself far into the future. I was living AS IF my desired destiny was a done deal, and I worked all day, each day, thinking thoughts of healing and victory, joy and serenity, harmony, appreciation, gratitude and a whole lot of awe!

The CANCER taboo we have self-imposed on our culture has to be rectified. The word does not equate to death. The experience is full of struggle but we have the power to heal our bodies and get on systems on track and functioning, with some help and with our personal empowerment. Cancer schmantzer means lifting the funereal pale that obfuscates the mysterious and fearful disease. Crazy sexy cancer is irreverent obviously, but it also says, it time to mature as a society. We menstruate. We no longer *get our friend*. Or, at least, I used to, once upon a time. We have vaginas and penises, depending... I now pee, no longer making a sissy. Let's just all grow up and deal. That's the point, I think. Or what I perceive from it all.

I look forward to our world being freer to discuss our illnesses, mourning and dead people. Too many shy away from such topics, like it's contagious or something. I have met Survivors who don't want to talk about their experience. Whereas I believe sharing what we learned is valuable information that must not go unsaid! It's fine to use the name of someone who have passed on (to the Spiritual Realm, in my opinion). Death is not the end of the story. Our Souls survive and move on to a different way of *being*, taking all the Lessons learned with them, becoming wiser and more learned. Those who have lost loved ones feel a flutter in their hearts when you mention the loved ones name. I don't think it makes them sad. It's makes me feel more connected to that dear person. I have been thinking a lot lately about my dear friend Sue. Her birthday was a few weeks ago. And Vicki's Bday is Sept 10 (mine the 3rd). We used to go away for Labor Day Weekend together to celebrate and exchange little Tiffany gifts. I miss these friends and felt the need to mention their names here. I wish you could have known them! Sue was the wisest, most loving, clear-sighted, giving, caring and downright funny person I have ever been blessed to know. When she died I sobbed uncontrollably for a long while. I just didn't like the idea that she wasn't in this world with me anymore. I know I will see her again, but I want her voice, her words now. I have saved every letter and card she ever sent me, and they are fabulous. When I am ready, I will go and fish them out of my night table drawer full of goodies and reread them. Her every word was precious to me. We need to talk about our loved ones, those here and those just over our shoulder, say their names and express our feelings openly. Not just on this site, but out there in the real world.

I think that if we can find the courage to take the FEAR out of cancer, we could go a long way toward improving statistics, rather than being cowered by them, caught up in a kind of mob mentality, virtually scaring ourselves to death. That's my take, anyway. Wishing all of you decades of NED sooner rather than later! Let's personally contribute to bettering the odds, showing the world how to beat this greedy monster.

Andi

AndiBB@aol.com
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #17
Esther

I hadn't heard about this show, but went and tivo'd it to check it out. I enjoyed the lifetime movie " why I wore lipstick to my mastectomy", so who knows about this one?
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:18 AM   #18
saleboat

I just saw the 7 minute trailer for the film. I have to say, I'm interested in seeing it, even through the title is a HUGE turn-off. Sorry, nothing sexy about this disease. But it is by a young woman with an extremely rare and incurable cancer, so I have to give her her props. There has to be something more behind the title.

I am also anxious to see a new narrative for cancer patients. It seems that the public discussion subscribes to a just a couple of stories 1) The valiant HERO who, through sheer will-power alone, triumphs over incredible odds (Lance Armstrong) and 2) The hero who battled until the end, left no stone unturned, but lost a heroic battle with the disease (Dana Reeves).

There are so many living with this disease every day, and it might be refreshing to see that fact publicly recognized.
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #19
chrisy

I missed the TV show, but I looked yesterday at her website www.crazysexycancer.com and let me tell you, girls, it is not about cancer being sexy! It is about, well, kicking cancer butt. Reminded me of a lot of you gals here - being survivors and refusing to let cancer steal your spirit. In fact I'm going to steal something from her blog and start spelling it canSer "just to piss it off".

She also has a book by the same name and I can't wait to buy it.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #20
tousled1

Chrisy,

You didn't miss the show as it's on this Wednesday night on the learning channel. At least on the east coast.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote