HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
haleuow

Arrow Rad or mastectomy ?

Hi

My wife recently been diagnosed stage 2a ER/PR- HER2+, invasion breast cancer 17/01/2013. The tumor got invasion size 10mm and outside about 20mm Per cancer unit (I think that is mean IDC 10mm plus DCIS 20mm), grade 3. we did the lumpectomy around 01/02/2013. there are 6 nodes been moved. doctor said the path report see there was a tiny dot on one node surface, I do not know whether it should be 0/6 or 1/6.

Doctor give us 6 round TCH followed by one year herption as an treatment, but the problem for us need to determine whether to take an Mastctomy or Radi after the Chemo, she had 5 rounds done, and we are close to make this decision. She has an aunt(her mom's sister) has breast cancer and is living well for about 20 years so far, she had one side mastectomy at that time. My wife also did the Gen test which are Neg for BCRA1 and BCRA2. Doctors said will be no difference for both options, meanwhile my wife's parents think mastectomy probably a better way.

My wife is only 29 years and I am in early 30s, we do not have a lot of money to pay for on-going cosmetic expense if it is private. I am not sure how successfully the reconstruction will be, how she will feel afterwards. I am not sure how much on-going expense that well be.

Advice and help will be appreciate!
haleuow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: Rad or mastectomy ?

http://www.bmi.wisc.edu/Courses/542a...19%20NSABP.pdf

welcome to our board.

I'm sorry that you and your wife are dealing with a diagnosis of cancer. The link above is for a large study that showed no statistical difference in survival between mastectomy and lumpectomy plus radiation.

reconstruction can be a challenge. I personally would choose the lumpectomy with that diagnosis.

others on the board should be able to share their own experience making the decision between mastectomy and lumpectomy.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Becky

I had the same diagnosis as your wife as you can see below. I had lumpectomy with radiation. The survival of lumpectomy with radiation is the same as masectomy but everyone has to decide on their own.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
jra40

Sorry that your wife is dealing with a breast cancer diagnosis but you are in good hands here with all the advice and support you may need going forward.

I was diagnosed at 39 and also had early stage breast cancer. I immediately wanted a mastectomy due to fears of recurrance. I had one of the best surgeons in Pittsburgh and he is a believer in breast conserving surgery if possible. After he talked with me about my options, I took his advice and went the lumpectomy/radiation route. I'm happy with my decision but what I learned is that it is a personal choice. Every cancer diagnosis is different and every road is not the same in this battle. Take time to really talk with both your surgeon and oncologist on their opinions and advice. I know if I had went with my first instinct, it would've been different.

Best of luck and many prayers!
3/15/11 - Began weekly Taxol/Herceptin infusions along with 750mg of Tykerb taken by mouth daily
6/28/11 - Finished last cycle of Taxol
7/27/11 - Breast MRI shows tumor has dissolved, remarkable reaction to chemo
8/31/11 - Lumpectomy, Sentinel Node biopsy. Node negative, clear margins, 7mm of cancer left over from chemo.
10/05/11 - Started radiation, 5 days a week for 7 weeks.
11/8/11 - Finished radiation
3/21/12 - Last Herceptin!
3/26/12 - Port removed!
Tamoxifen for 5 years
8/4/15 - Hysterectomy & bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Due to large fibroids. No cancer!
8/8/15 - Started Arimidex
jra40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
jaykay

Sorry that you and your wife have to go through this. Having a mastectomy is no guarantee of no radiation (I had one, 1 node out of 4 sentinel positive) and am just about to finish radiation.

If a lumpectomy is recommended by your doctors, then I would go with that. BTW, insurance does pay for reconstruction in the case of cancer/mastectomy.

Best,

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
sarah

I had DCIS (only in breast), had mastectomy and then 5 years later it came back, same breast and invasive, then I had radiation.
While I don't want to suggest an opinion to you, I would say get another opinion until you feel confident of your choice. The first time around, they wouldn't give me herceptin - only gave it to metatastic people. so would herceptin or would having had radiation made a difference in my case? I'd say yes but which or both??? Definitely I believe herceptin would have made a huge difference.
I wish your wife good health.
health and happiness
sarah
Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
CoolBreeze

I can tell you that if I was your wife, I would do the lumpectomy. I had no choice but to have a mastectomy and I have had structural problems, some pain and stuff since. Since the studies show that survival is the same, I would go with the easiest operation. And, of course, you can always do a mastectomy later, but you can't go back once it's been done.

So those are my thoughts but it is entirely up to you and whatever you decide, just make sure there will be no regrets later.

All reconstruction costs and any plastic surgery should be covered by insurance.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
tricia keegan

I chose the lumpectomy and rads and I'm now almost eight years out with no regrets, good luck to your wife in making this decision thats right for her.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
roz123

stick with the lumpectomy...I decided to go back in for the mastectomy and reconstruction (for me) and it has been a nightmare. Fear is what drove me, you be the voice of reason for her. Reconstruction is no picnic, coolbreeze is correct that it changes you entire way of moving. She will be followed closely after this diagnosis.
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
haleuow

Thank you all for these valuable advice and it is great helpful for us. Bless you all .
haleuow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
kvogler

I was diagnosed in July 2011. I was stage 2B. I did chemo, mastectomy, then radiation also. I don't regret my decision. For me, I would have regretted a lumpectomy. It makes me feel better thinking I hit it as hard as possible the first time around. I know survival rates are about the same, but it was a mental thing for me. I'm glad to look at my scar and see that the cancerous breast is gone. Could have done lumpectomy, but I wasn't well-endowed to begin with. (36B) Personally, I don't miss it as much as people think I should. I don't even think I'll do reconstruction even though insurance covers it since I had cancer. I wasn't the type of gal that wore low cut shirts anyway. It doesn't bother me to wear a bra with a prothesis and I've found swimsuits on the internet with prothesis pockets that actually look good. So it's a really personal choice. My advice is for her to really think about how much her breasts mean to her. If they are important, lumpectomy. If she's like me and honestly, honestly doesn't think that much of her boobs then possibly consider mastectomy. I had to do radiation no matter which operation I chose due to its characteristics.
kvogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Cannon

I'd like to point out also, that while SURVIVAL rates are the same, RECURRENCE rates are not. I had no choice about having cancerous breast removed, and went ahead and had the other removed 'prophylactically.' I have no regrets either. You have to go with your/her gut.
Best.
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
'lizbeth

I discovered this study published a couple years ago that showed the recurrence rate was lower for lumpectomy compared to mastectomy. Please refer to table 2, 6.3 lumpectomy vs 9.8 for mastectomy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3228157/

There is an interesting pattern that shows the timing of recurrence for lumpectomy is much different than for a mastectomy.

I am sure there are others published studies on lumpectomy vs mastectomy. If other board members are aware of specific peer reviewed studies could you please post the link.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #14
NEDenise

Haleuow,
So sorry about your wife's diagnosis...but glad ou found us. Welcome!

I'm with Roz...I had a lumpectomy initially...margins were not clear...opted for bilateral mastectomy...thought: better safe than sorry...get it all...don't want to recur...won't miss them...etc...

Hidsight is 20/20, but if I had it to do over...
I would NOT have had a mast at all
Another lumpectomy would have done the trick
I could still have had recon to even out breasts
I recurred anyway and am stage IV now
Recovery/rehab would have been MUCH less problematic
My new breasts - though created by world class surgeons (not exaggerating here) are not lovely...for many reasons...they're just okay
I have virtually no sensation on chest/abdomen, even after nearly 2 years...
I could go on and on.

My advice...start small...you can always do more...but once you go big...there's no going back.

Best of everything to both of you!

Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote