HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
kvogler

Cancer and marriage

I've read how many of you have been lucky enough to have supportive spouses during treatment. But have any of you been in the same boat as me where your spouse or significant other is not as supportive as you had hoped they would be? I have friends and family for support but this diagnosis has honestly put a strain on our relationship. We have a young daughter and were just getting used to being parents when now we have this piled on us now. I don't know if our bond is strong enough anymore to endure. I try to tell my husband what I need but he's a bundle of nerves too and is quick to anger. My treatments have been going well so far, but now my personal life is crap. It's making me depressed and I often cry and feel panicy. I have an appointment with a psychriatrist and I hope this well help some. I just feel so alone and like a big failure right now. Things are just getting so hard to bear right now. And I shouldn't feel this way because others are worse than me but its just how I feel. I don't even feel like myself anymore.
kvogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
europa

Re: Cancer and marriage

Hey there,

I actually know exactly what you feel like but I wasn't married. I was in a 5 year long relationship and we had planned to marry since we have a son. I was just waiting for him to get his act together, which never happened. I was diagnosed when my son was 18 months old, I had sold my baking business and had launched a new company. My partner was unemployed and didn't seem to be motivated to do something about it. When cancer came into the picture I needed him to really step up and get a job but also be there for me. Unfortunately neither happened and I threw him out my 3rd dose of AC. It was a very tough time but I just needed support around me not baggage. Everyone thought I was insane. But as I told people, cancer was like a light switch that got turned on in my dark house. All of a sudden I realized just how badly I needed to do some serious house cleaning. I also changed with cancer, my level of tolerance diminished. So for me it was imperative that I remove him from my immediate surroundings. He was adding to the crap in my life.
However, I can tell you that if I loved him and we had a good relationship going into my diagnosis, I would of sought out counseling for us. Cancer is extremely hard on us but even harder on the ones who love us. I have some family members that just didn't know what to do and our relationship became, well, awkward. But I don't fault them because I know it's hard. I would strongly suggest therapy. What saved me during the debacle of my relationship was my therapist. I see her once a week. I felt like my family and others were doing the best they could to listen and be there for me but I needed more.
I would also see if your husband would be open to seeing a couple's therapist as it may be helpful to have someone guide your communication and perhaps unravel some issues.
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
BonnieR

First of all, kvogler, you are NOT a failure! Nor is your husband. My guess is that he is feeling as overwhelmed as you and having lots of trouble coping I remember my husband saying to me "but men are supposed to be able to fix things" and he couldn't fix this! We have been married a long time. Here you are, a young couple, a new family, and now this. It's not what either of you signed up for. But it's the hand you were dealt and hopefully he will step up to the plate. I am so happy to hear about the therapy. Get yourself some help and maybe medication for anxiety and depression. The therapist will likely want to see your husband too. My cancer center had a counselor who specialized in our needs
Right now try to take things one day at a time. Don't project too much. It will get better. Keep the faith
And Europa, I love what you expressed. Sometimes one of the blessings of cancer is clarity!!!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Becky

The actions of your spouse or any close family member can go either way. The bottom line is that it is all related to fear - overwhelming fear even if they don't know it.

For some, they are over attentive, over helpful, extremely supportive.

For some, they are not. Very alouf. Breaking the bond. They don't want to be hurt if things don't go right.

When I was diagnosed, my middle daughter was 15 (almost 16) and very into the culinary world - going afternoons in high school to polytech and actually later, getting an Associates of Science in Baking and Pastry arts.

She cooked our dinners often. Therefore, I thought I would have this covered as my husband and I worked and I still worked most days (during chemo/rads time).

Unfortunately, everything stopped. No cooking when she always did it. Nothing. My youngest, who did nothing as a youngest usually does, started cleaning! Dusting, vaccuming, cleaning the bathrooms.

My point is everyone is different. I think my cooking daughter subconciously thought "if mom can cook, she can't be that bad off (and everything will be okay)".

She later told me that she was looking at pictures and there were a few of me during chemo and how terrible I looked (white, no color) but she said that at the time, she thought I looked fine(which is probably why she behaved the way she did - "its okay, this isn't really happening"). All fear - same for you too.

I think therapy on how to handle the situation is a really good idea.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Mtngrl

The other responses have been right-on. Fear is a mind-killer, and it can be a relationship-killer (both your fear and your husband's). Also, the drugs, especially steroids, can affect your perceptions and behavior. I noticed a pattern of saying really mean things about three days after every treatment. I wasn't warned about 'roid rage, and I wish I had known. I never said anything untrue, but I was unusually blunt. I had no filters. With some awareness that it might be the drugs talking, I'd have held my tongue.

Stressors like a serious illness (or a new child, new job, loss of a parent, etc.) really test relationships. If people see the increased instances of friction and conflict as opportunities and meet them with a mood of curiosity rather than defensiveness, they can be a source of immense personal and interpersonal growth. A good therapist can help you change your self-talk about what is happening around you, which can change your feelings and improve your sense of mastery. For example, when you find yourself anxiously focusing on someone else's behavior, you might ask yourself why you're so anxious, and learn to do things for yourself that lessen the anxiety.

I would advise you not to make any quick decisions about your marriage. Accept the things you cannot change (other people, places, things, the fact that you are ill, etc.), change the things you can (your thoughts, your habits, your ways of getting your needs met), and learn to tell the difference, and just be patient. Even if you end up deciding you can't stay married to your husband, he's your co-parent and you'll have to have some kind of relationship with him.

Full disclosure: I'm not married or in a special love relationship now. I'm pretty sure neither of my exes would have been helpful after my diagnosis (though of course I'll never know for sure.) One thing I have learned since my second divorce almost ten years ago is I was putting all my eggs in one basket. Marriage is an important source of love, friendship, emotional support and stability, but it's not the only one. I have a lot of love in my life. I always did, but I was so focused on just one relationship that I didn't cultivate or appreciate the other loving, supportive relationships that I had.

If you can join a support group for breast cancer patients, I suggest you do that. A good group can help you process all the physical and emotional issues that you're facing.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
'lizbeth

I think you have a belief in your heart of how your family and friends will be - then reality hits and it is just not so.

My husband was supportive, then angry, supportive, then angry and resentful. It hurt to be going through what I felt could be the end of my life and not have the full love and support of the ones I needed the most showering upon me.

I was hurt, upset, angry, and devastated. I ended up doing almost everything: cooking, cleaning, etc.

Less than 1 week after my axillary node dissection I was in the kitchen cooking a full on Easter dinner. And it is true - if I was able to do that I must be okay, right?

What I have learned from my cancer experience is to ask for help. I was not able to do so at the time. I should have been in counseling with the right person. It would have made a tremendous difference.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
yanyan

Focus on ur healing! Your young daughter needs you!!!
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
kvogler

Thanks for the support everyone. Since July I've handled the pshysical aspects of this disease fairly well. I underestimated how much this can mess your mind as well. Wasn't prepared for that. All my books focused on the body aspects and not the mind. I'm looking foward to my appointment to talk this junk out. I don't even know where I stand hormonally. That could be a component as well. I've been shot into this treatment-induced menopause so quickly that I don't even know my body anymore. I was the type to be weepy the week before my period but now I no longer have any kind of cycle to go by to predict my mood. Kept myself busy today and it was a better day. I'm seeking treatment out-of-state and talked with hubby on the phone. He doesn't show emotion much (I guess most men don't) but he kept trying to keep me on the phone for the longest time. I guess he's hurting too and this is something he can't "fix" for me. I might also be freaking out because a friend of mine passed from cancer at the age of 42 and left her 8 year-old behind right before I left to come up here for treatment. In my mind I know she had a different type of cancer and treatment than me but emotionally it scared me. I'll definately talk to the doctor about how we can keep the anxiety from poking its head so much. I'll just take it one day at a time. Thanks for putting up with my rantings. It helps to hear your stories and takes on the situation. It makes me feel less alone with this situation. I'm just a mental "hot mess" right now as my girlfriends would put it.
kvogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
starwishn2

Everything everyone has written is excellent. In my situation my husband would not talk about how he was feeling (still doesn't) but I could see he was hurting. If friends or family asked him how he was doing he would said "fine, Jeri is the one that needs the support". I asked several male friends of ours to stop by and just visit with him and see how he was doing. I know most men won't talk about feelings but he seemed a little more at ease after talking with his friends. That might be a place to start with your husband.

I work in the social work field and am very "pro" therapy. I think it's great you will be speaking with a therapist. Hopefully your husband will want to join in those meetings soon. This is such a tough journey. You are in my thoughts.
Jeri
ITP playing nice
Diagnosed 3Jul2012 BC

2 cm - Grade 2 - Stage IIB
HER2+++

ER+/PR+
bilateral mastectomy 20Jul2012
Metastasized cancer found 1 lymph node
expanders placed during surgery
TCH chemo "cocktail" started 24Aug2012
every 3 weeks - 6 treatments
Herceptin - 18 treatments
LAST treatment Taxotere & Carboplatin 7Dec2012 -yay!
Continue with Herceptin 26Dec2012

Started Arimidex 01Jan2013 (for 5 years)
Surgery to remove expanders/reconstruction 18Jan2013
Infection in left breast from reconstruction/infection in most nails - SO many meds! 22Feb2013
Left implant not playing nice.... might need to remove and try again - blah! 04Apr2013
3Jul2013 - one year since diagnosis - booo cancer!

15Aug2013 LAST chemo infusion!! YIPPPEEE!!!
13Sep2013 2nd reconstructive surgery.. the FOOBs are looking good!

starwishn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
sarah

I'd ask your doctor about anti-depressants. I found I suffered severe mood swings and my tolerance level was low. I was impatient about petty stuff.
As a supporter in a cancer support group here, I have seen caregivers who were fantastic, others who were overwhelmed and some who couldn't handle it. We've found it most difficult to help male caregivers but had some success finding other male caregivers who were just willing to go out and do something with them - distract them.
As others have said, men want to fix stuff and when they can't, they are frightened.
Be patient, find out about anti-depressants and realize that everyone's world has been turned upside down but it will end and get better.
take care, watch some funny movies or sitcoms and laugh.
hugs and love
sarah