HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
Lani

Occult (silent, asymptomatic) brain metastases in her2+ patients

Citation: European Journal of Cancer Supplements Volume 4, No. 2, March 2006, page 164

A. Niwinska1, M. Tacikowska2, T. Pienkowski1, I. Lemanska1, B. Bauer1, H. Rudnicka1

1Maria Sklodowska-Curie Memorial Cancer Center, Breast Cancer and Reconstructive Surgery Department, Warsaw, Poland
2Maria Sklodowska-Curie Memorial Cancer Center, Radiology Department, Warsaw, Poland

Aim: The aim of the prospective study was to evaluate the frequency of occult brain metastases in breast cancer pts with HER-2 receptor overexpression, and to analyze overall survival and the cause of death of patients (pts) after whole brain radiotherapy (WBRT).
Material and Methods: MRI screening examination of the brain was performed in 60 HER-2 positive breast cancer pts currently treated in Breast Cancer Clinic with trastuzumab and chemotherapy because of visceral metastases and/or locoregional failure. In case of pts with occult brain metastases detected, the irradiation to the brain 30 Gy in 10 fraction was undertaken. Then, control MRI was planned to be performed 3, 6, 9, 12 months after radiotherapy in order to assess the extent of regression of metastases.
Results: In 20 (33%) pts occult brain metastases were detected: in 7 – solitary, in 13 – numerous. Pts with brain metastases were younger than those without them (median age at primary breast cancer 48 years vs 52 years), and more often with distant metastases to lungs and/or liver (18/20 pts). Median time from recurrence of the disease (visceral metastases/locoregional failure) to brain metastases was 9 months, mean 11 months. From among 10 patients with time of observation of at least 1 year after WBRT, 5 pts are still alive without symptoms of brain metastases, 5 patients died: 4- due to progression in viscera and only 1- because of progression in brain.
Conclusion: Our prospective study confirms high percentage of occult brain metastases in HER-2 positive breast cancer pts. Mean time of detection of occult brain metastases does not exceed 1 year from recurrence of the disease. Brain metastases after WBRT undertaken during asymptomatic period are not the main cause of death of breast cancer patients. In most cases those patients die of visceral metastases. It seems that it is reasonable to introduce MRI screening of the brain in HER-2 positive breast cancer pts with disseminated disease for early detection and irradiation of brain metastases before neurological symptoms appear. Longer follow-up period is necessary in order to assess the cause of death of pts.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
StephN

Exclamation Re: Occult (silent, asymptomatic) brain metastases in her2+ patients

Bringing up this old post as this study gave Joe and Christine what they needed to pursue with Dr. Winer and other important oncology thinkers the need for screening especially HER2 positive breast cancer patients.

Everyone should be aware that this is a possibility - brain mets can occur and be successfully treated. I am just very sorry that our Courtney and NEDenise were not among those numbers.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 12-29-2013 at 09:19 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
KirisMum

Re: Occult (silent, asymptomatic) brain metastases in her2+ patients

Wow. All. Can say is that my daughter fits all the criteria above, was screened for headaches that turned out to be not related to the numerous (about a dozen) brain mets discovered on MRI, 8 months after her diagnosis as stage IV with mets to liver. Dr. Winer is head of the Breast Oncology Dept at Dana Farber where she is being treated, and they do not scan routinely for brain mets for women with her profile-- young, her2+, visceral mets. I am only thankful her oncologist is proactive about any possible symptoms. She's had WBR and is doing well, will be scanned next month for results. Her oncologist told her exactly what the study above suggests, that the liver mets were considered primary in terms of her prognosis, not the brain mets. I am so sorry about Courtney and NEDenise. :-'( Thank you, Lani & Steph.
KirisMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
evlin75

I guess my daughter Susan would be considered a success story initially as for the brain mets.
I think each case is an individual unique experience.
As I have previously posted, the original diagnoses was 2003 - invasive ductal. In less than two years - approximately 2005 it went to the hip bone. She went through a vaccine trial at John's Hopkins where she thought she was one of the ones who seemed to benefit at the time. However no boosters were ever available.
It was late summer of 2009 when she began vomiting - thought she had the flu. MRI showed a very large tennis ball sized tumor on the cerebellum. Had no previous warning signs - so definitely occult.
The surgeon in Miami told her removing it might leave her "gimpy". However it did not. He removed it all without problems. She then had WBR. returned to feeling good.
She seemed free of the tumors on subsequent MRIs.
It was spring of 2012 when the MRI showed the growths in the spine - larger in the thoracic region.
Also was noted a few dots on the cerebellum. Not known if this was tumors or scar tissue.
Must have been small tumors as they are gone now after the ommaya and spine punctures with Herceptin. and the Emend.
Emend has a track record of crossing the blood brain barrier and erasing tumors besides helping with the nausea.
Every case is individual. I do not think generalities apply.

Ev
http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...or-growth.aspx

Last edited by evlin75; 12-29-2013 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: adding link
evlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
Adriana Mangus

I had been having routine brain MRI's before a tiny tumor was found in the cerebellum, when I first asked the Doctor, he was a little reluctant, but oblige. Last year when the small tumor was visible on the MRI he thanked me for asking him to order the MRI's.

It's crucial to work with your doctor- - talk to him/her all the time, ask questions, even if you think it's not important or sounds silly- - it may take a while before mets to the brain are discovered, by then a patient may have too many tumors to have them treated on a single treatment - not visits- but it's a better alternative then having WBR.

Had I not been a member of this organization I wouldn't have known to ask my doctor.

Thank you Stephanie for mentioning the importance of this and also our beloved Sheila, whom I thanked many, many times before she left us.

I'm so thankful for this site and everyone who I have come across in the past ten years. They are not just my only and true heroes, but my Warriors, they saved my life.

Love,

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
conomyself

Thank you Steph. I make sure I get brain scans, one way or another I do what I have to do to get the doctor to order them.
ER+/PR+/HER2+ amplification 4.8 (whatever that means)
8/13/2012 Brain MRI (clear); bone scan verified CT scan
8/14/12 started Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, 2 rounds (added Neulasta after 9/4 treatment)
9/4/12 CA 15-3: >3000
9/15/12 CA 15-3: 840
9/15/12 started Taxotere/Perjeta/Herceptin, 4 rounds (no Neulasta)
10/29/12 CT scan showed dramatic improvement in all areas - largest liver met 2.5 cm, largest lung met 10 cm
12/17/12 Started Perjeta/Herceptin, 2 rounds
12/17/12 CA 15-3: 17 Yay!!!
1/21/13 CT scan showed improvement - largest liver met 1.9 cm, largest lung met 2 mm
1/29/13 CA 15-3: 12 Started Herceptin only
3/12/13 CA 15-3: still 12 yay!! Back to Perjeta/Herceptin
3/29/13 CT scan more improvement - largest liver met 1.2 cm, some lung mets disappeared!
3/7/14 started Tamoxifen
6/27/13 - 1/2015 CT scan stable
Began a diet of only single ingredient foods and went nearly NED excepts for some tiny lung spots - ask me if you want to know more...
1/2015 - 1/2017 CT scan stable
conomyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Shirley

Are brain scans dangerous in terms of radiation exposure? Apart from the MRI and pet scans at diagnosis, my oncologist does not routinely suggest them in the absence of systems (which this thread suggests might be mistake?).
  • Neoadjuvant TCH chemo started 5-15-13 (4 rounds, 3 weeks apart)
  • Unilateral Mx w/expander 8-22-13 (right side)
  • 5/5 nodes Neg
  • clear margins but close. Tumor at removal down to 2.2 cm.
  • Radiation 6 wks starting 10-17-13.
  • Herceptin every 3 weeks until 4-23-14
  • DIEP/Mastopexy 10-8-14, U of WA
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote