HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
Tom

Mom's PET/CT results and a ?

The waiting is over. We got Mom's PET/CT results at the end of the day yesterday, but I was just too exhausted to sit down and post.

The PET/CT showed that not only was there no sign of current malignancy, but that the questionable suspicious areas from her last PET scare, have resolved themselves. I sat stunned as the oncologist reviewed the results. Unlike most of her previous test results, I did not go get them ahead of the oncology appointment. For some reason, probably fear and anxiety, I decided to give myself an extra day of "peace" by not obtaining the results personally. It really made me think this time, about the anguish that the women on this site go through while waiting for their results of various diagnostics. My guts were in a knot. I couldn't eat. I couldn't sleep. My mind raced around the clock, plotting and planning what we would do if we got bad news. After all, Mom has not received any Herceptin since the beginning of July due to low LVEF. I compare that waiting time to walking aound holding a live grenade in my hand with the pin pulled.

But after all of that, I sat limp and spent in the chair as I heard the news that there was no sign of any cancer for now. This is a far more cruel journey than I had earlier realized. God Bless all of you that go through this alone. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be the patient and sit in the waiting room. It explains some of the "10,000 yard stares" I see on patients' faces from time to time in the oncology office.

Even the doctor seemed perplexed that there have been no metastases, considering the fact of course, that 12/20 positive nodes were removed last April, a full 8 months after her original surgery to remove several tumors and an area of chest wall involvement, as I'm sure most of you are sick of hearing about by now. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. But what in the world is going on with Mom's disease? It just doesn't make any sense after reading some of the courses of disease that occur with women on this site. Many women who have had the "Full Monty" of chemotherapies week after week, that hammered them like a circus clown's oversize mallet, have metastases and recurrences in many cases.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
Tom

continued...

Remember that Mom has had NO conventional chemotherapy. I have to ask myself the question: Is there something, anything, beneficial about Mom NOT having received conventional rounds of powerful chemotherapy drugs, only Herceptin alone as a single agent? Is all of the nutritional and supplement intake really helping suppress the cancer? Is the curcumin really inducing apoptosis in any remaining cells? Is the green tea and green tea extract really acting as a tyrosine kinase inhibitor? Is the inositol hexaphosohate really doing it's job by inhibiting PI3K?

I'd love to know the answers to these questions, particularly if it might help somebody else fighting this damned disease. I'd love to hear what a researcher has to say about someone being treated with Herceptin alone from the time of first diagnosis. I know they have precious little data with respect to someone in my Mom's position, as nobody would dare forego the standard treatment protocols in the interest of furthering clinical research, and I can't blame them.

I just have this knawing feeling that there is something going on here that somebody doing the research needs to know about, but I don't quite know who to contact. They would probably laugh me out of the office if I walked in with such questions anyway. And I dare not suggest to any scientist or medical person that God Almighty had a hand in my Mother's rather strange disease course...lol.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Tom

continued...

Well, that's the story. I thought it might offer some hope to somebody out there going through this mess to hear just how powerful Herceptin can be for some. God Bless the people at Genentech that developed this wonderful drug. And I wish the same good fortune to those at GSK who no doubt worked just as hard on Tykerb. I pray that Mom doesn't reach the point where she needs to turn to Tykerb for help. The question put to me by the oncologist now, is whether to resume giving Mom Herceptin. It sure is a break not schlepping up to the hospital every Friday to get her infusion. But will she remain cancer-free without it? If anybody wants to chime in on that one, please do. Like Ross Perot in his presidential debate years ago, "I'm all ears". I think I'll go have an eclair with Mom and ponder that question.

Greatfully yours,
Tom
Old 11-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
eric

Amazing and great news! Like you and many others, I would love to know what if anything did the trick. Maybe her onc can offer a suggestion. Anyway, I'm thrilled for both you and your mother. You deserve it, you're a special person, as I'm sure she is. ENJOY AND CELEBRATE!!!
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
StephN

Thumbs up Gentle Love

Add your particular brand of loving care to your Mom's list of positives. YOU give her a reason to fight and for her body to continue to resist any cancer activity. You know that Herceptin stays in one's system for several months and this hold over effect has also been at work I am sure.

If her med onc will order more Herceptin, I would go for it. Even if it is for say 3 months. Many of us (myself included) are doing well on Herceptin after getting either the initial cancer or mets under control.

I have been praying that your Mom (I feel like she is Mom to all of us here!) is a responder. With the advantage that often in the older patient the cancer is not as aggressive, she probably has this also going for her.

Been waiting for these results and the news is wonderful! The suspicion that the hot spots on the last PET were from bumps or arthritis seems to have panned out. Enjoy those occasional eclairs and consider life good.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
kareneg

Dear Tom,

I am truely happy for your mom! You are an amazing man and I hope and pray this horrible monster never ever returns. Enjoy several more eclair's with your mom. God bless you both.

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Sherryg683

Tom, I am SOOO happy for your mom and for you. You are an angel to her and I'm sure all your help and concern has helped her tremendously. It has to be such a relief to have someone that you can turn all the worrying and question asking over to. You are an awesome son. I have also been cramming in the curcumin, grape seed extract, green tea pills and other stuff..so I am hoping that it will indeed help keep the cancer away. Give your mom a hug for me and tell her to enjoy her holidays..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
tousled1

Tom

This is great news! Breast cancer is a deadly beast and I don't think anyone knows the why's or wherefor's of what makes one person have such a terrible struggle while others seem to just breeze through it. Your mother is extremely lucky to have such a loving son. I am sure that prayers have had a lot to do with your mom's results. I personally was delighted to hear the news especially since I too had such severe lymph node involvement. You have given me the encouragement that I needed to hear and at a great time. Now you can stop worrying for a while and relax. Do something nice just for yourself you surely do deserve it.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
Sandy H

Tom, this is indeed incredible news! I am sure you want to scream for joy and yet you don't dare not knowing what is around the corner. I ask the same question with myself what is doing the trick here. We may never know! It is probably a little of everything. It is a great reward for you as you have worked very hard for your Mom and for her fighting this battle. Even though she has not done chemo, its still been a battle for her. May I asked why no conventional treatment? Was there a reason she couldn't do it, didn't want to which is a choice she has a right to. Herceptin certainly, has been a life saver for many and yet for many it isn't. For me I think it may have slowed my disease and perhaps, even kept it it localized but it did not clean it up. My oncologist is expecting the Tykerb to clean it up!!! If your Mom ever needs the Tykerb don't despair it is an easy drug to tolerate not at all like chemo. Certainly, worth keeping it as an option down the road. Now, that I have been off the Herceptin for two months I realize how much better I feel!!! Have lost nearly 15 pounds and so don't feel like I weigh 500 pounds. My feet and hands were not swellen so didn't see the need for meds to get rid of fluid. It was all at the waist!! Enough said, I am so excited for you and your Mom. Sending you both a big hug and enjoy that eclair!! Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
Bev

Thrilled to hear all is well. Don't know about more H. I guess results in 07 will tell us more.

I'm waiting on scans done this week. I'm assuming no news is good news, as with the original dx, you had the phone call w/in
24 hrs.

You, like Gina, should pursue a medical career. You are such a positive force. Thanks for good news. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
Lolly

Tom, this is great news, and I'm so happy for you and Mom.

I think there is still so much that's unknown about the characteristics of each individual's cancer, and how life style/diet affect development of that cancer, or lack thereof as in your Mom's case!

You know that old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it", so what you're doing must be good....Keep Up The Good Work!!!

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
Kaye

Tom, so very glad to hear about your mom. Thanks for sharing. If only 'they' researchers knew what worked best for each. The alternatives your mom was using are ones that are being researched for the cancer pathways they presumably block.
What about of curcumin was/is your mom taking and how often? How much green tea does she drink? How about the Inoxitol hexaphosphate (sp?)
It wasn't too long ago that I read something about one of the common forms of childhood leukemia that was 95% fatal 20+ years ago. Those stats are supposedly now reversed--only 5% fatal and 20% 'curable' or able to go into remission (not sure which, although I think I read 'curable').
What allowed this involved the use of already existing treatments that were given in different ways--such that the different pathways were blocked. Perhaps this may be what happened with your mom?
I hope that this positive path continues for your mom. Wishing her all the best!
Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #13
Barbara H.

Hi Tom,
This is such great news, just what we have been waiting to hear. This cancer manifests itself in so many different ways, even in the HER2 domain. My doctor is also surprised how well Herceptin worked for me with advanced disease. It put me into NED, but now I have some in the bones that is responding, but not without the addtition of Navelbine. You are correnct. This disease is exhausting, especially when you want to get on with your life.
Congratualtions, and I hope that your mom continues to receive good news.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
lexigirl

Wow Tom!! Praise God and the wonderful med herceptin! Such terrific news! You are such a blessing to your mom. Please let her know we are all so pleased for her!

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Vanessa

Congratulations on the good news and I wish your Mom continued sucess in this battle. My doctor believes that Herceptin is the miracle drug that is changing bc statistics. She also advocates using curcermin. Best wishes!
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #16
chrisy

Wow, Tom -great , great news - and excellent questions.
Maybe we are getting closer to the answers, at least I hope so. I think the combination of Herceptin, which as StephN says, does stay in the system for several months, green tea, Curcumin, Inositol are all contributing to keeping mom's cancer at bay. But I also believe the prayers and the love you wrap around your mom add incredible and unknowable healing energy. The lack of "toxic" chemo also frees your mom's natural immune resources to join the fight unimpaired.

Go ahead and enjoy the doctor being perplexed! Remember earlier this year when the doctor was so certain the PET scan was showing progression? HA! May you and your mom continue to baffle everyone for many years to come!

Much love - enjoy the eclairs. With some green tea.

Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #17
Joy

you and your mom ROCK!

So happy for both you. I agree that your diligence and love and research and advocacy and nutrition have made such a difference. And your mom is obviously quite a tough lady! Enjoy this peace.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
jhandley

Smile good news Tom

Hi TomI am pleased for you and your mum. Is she still taking Q10? and do you do the omega 3 thing?

Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #19
sarah

great news! very happy for you and your mom
all the best
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #20
Becky

Tom

Obviously all the wonderful care you have given your Mother has helped tremendously. The great diet and supplement regime has clearly helped. Also, I believe that your mom seems (via your posts) more relaxed about everything too. This is a huge boon to the regime.

I am so happy for you. It is always a joy when hard work (especially on behalf of a loved one) pays off so dearly well.

Sincerely

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote