HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
Freaked Out

Just Starting Our Fight, Help.

I just joined today. I found this site while doing research the day after we were told the small little BC that may not even need chemo was actually HER2 +. Needless to say the treatment plan changed. After the double mastectomy, my wife will have TCH every three weeks for 6 cycles and Herceptin for a year. This will put off reconstruction and full hysterectomy. Our world has been turned upside down and this is just the beginning. I could really use some support from folks that have been down this same road. Our friends have been great but they don't really understand what it is we are facing. Her story is a little different.

Who has had this same treatment? Good and bad things to come? What do you say when your wife is crying because she is scared to death?

Also, this all started off to be elective due to gene testing. However, BC showed up between the time she decided to be proactive and her surgery. See our full story:
by clicking this link: http://www.booster.com/teamstacy
Freaked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Carol Ann

Re: Just Starting Our Fight, Help.

Hi Freaking Out, I can empathize big time, see my signature, I started out with an "infected nipple", then the game changed, and then only had a small HER2 negative tumor before my "prophylactic mastectomy", was figuring I could avoid chemo, and then the game changed big time.

I'm so sorry you've had to join this club, but you've found a great resource of info and extremely supportive people.

I too had a double mastectomy, 6 rounds of TCH, am still on Herceptin until November. It is not easy and please feel free to have your wife PM me anytime when she is ready. I cried for weeks before I was able to talk about it to anyone.

If you could post the details of your wife's diagnosis, that will help everyone here respond. Its the "Quick links" button at the top of the page.

No, your friends don't understand, because until it happens to you, you just don't get it. I know how devastating it is, and so does everyone else here on this forum.

Whatever questions you can think of now, you can use the search box to find tons of posts and information. You'll learn more here oftentimes re: side effects, surgery tips, etc, than you will from the medical team. I know I have.

All you can do is take one day at a time. I know that's a trite cliché, but its true. I'm still doing just that!

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Adriana Mangus

Hi new member, you have come to the right place for assistance.

Welcome to Her2+support.org

We all in many ways donate time and resources to many organizations that deal directly with research to find a cure for women affected with breast cancer type Her2+. Frankly, I find it tacky to open the page and the first thing to see is the purchase of a shirt.

BTW

I believe, based in my many years of dealing with this medical issue- please read my signature, that your wife is in good hands with her doctor being proactive by placing her in herceptin for one year after she finishes the required chemo treatments. And congratulations on the early BC detection, that't the new way to treat many types of cancer, with new genetic tests coming on the market, why not use them, they are available to all of us. Many of us on this site wish we had had that option before our diagnosis.

Again, welcome to our organization, we are compassionate ladies who have had in the past and continue to struggle with this disease. Please don't hesitate to ask anything regarding Stacy's health, treatments, diets, frustrations, etc. You will find tons of information from our dedicated sisters, most importantly we understand each other.

Take care and stay positive.

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
'lizbeth

Hello FO:

I like the idea of the t-shirt campaign.

I received a similar treatment back in 2008. I had several lesions in the right breast with Pagets of the nipple, positive nodes. Most of the literature back then said the prognosis was not good. But things have changed for the better with Her2 positive breast cancer treatments. Your wife is very lucky to qualify for Herceptin with a small little BC.

Your wife has had quite a shock. And breast cancer, and the unknown associated with the diagnosis is very scary. Once the surgeries are finished, and the chemo is started the stress and fear should start to decrease. I found chemo to be quite unpleasant. If I knew then what I know now - I'd have a better plan of how to deal with the side effects, and the numbers to call for help at the ready. No need to suffer with diarrhea, etc. when something as simple as a potassium supplement can clear it up.

There are many others that have gone through treatment more recently and they have good advice.

Welcome and let us know if we can help.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Freaked Out

Thank all of you for the kind words. It truly helps knowing that folks are here to support each other.

Carol Ann, I will tell Stacy to contact you when ready, thank you for that offer.

Adriana , please know that I was not trying to be "tacky" nor sell you a t-shirt. A good friend started that page for us. I simply wanted to share the "full story" with whomever decided to look at it. I have told that story more times in the last two months that I care to remember so I find it easier to copy the link. However, opinion noted. Thanks.

Lizbeth, everything I read talks about the poor prognosis with HER2+ BC. It is so good to hear of the improvements. The campaign was started by a really good friend. I had not heard of it but it's a really cool way for friends, family and others to show support. It has given me many ideas to use in the future as far as raising money to donate to various organizations as we learn more about this.

I've been stressed thinking that we will be dealing with this for the next 12-18 months, but by looking at all the pages, you ladies have been dealing with the stuff for years. I guess it remains in your life forever in some form.

Like I said, this is very new and scary for both me and my wife. She gets a port put in next Wednesday and her first TCH treatment is the next day. What side effects seem to be the most common? Suggestions for a "treatment" or "Chemo" bag we should pack?

Thanks again for everything.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Carol Ann

Hi FO, one of the most important things is HYDRATE, hydrate, hydrate ... my onc nurse told me 3 liters of fluids a day during chemo week, and while I couldn't manage all that all the time, I did during that first week every time. It really helps minimize side effects.

The bad news is that everyone is different with what side effects they experience. If you google for the laundry list, you will scare yourself to death. The good news is that you most likely won't have all of them. Did I mention to drink lots of water?! (Juices, soups, broth ... all count towards the fluid total) I drank FLAT (chemo destroys your stomach lining)ginger ale in copious amounts during chemo.

Ask the oncology nurses/doc for what medications they suggest to have on hand for diarrhea//constipation. I had OTC lomotil and Miralax on hand at all times.

Take a blanket because chemo infusion rooms are usually cold. I always slept through most of my infusion times because I got Benadryl as a premed ... plus other meds to help with the side effects.

The steroids I got also kept me up at night a lot the first week. I watched a lot of Turner Classic movies in the middle of the night!

Will Stacy be having a chemo orientation meeting at her oncologist's office? If one hasn't been scheduled, ask for any handouts, etc they have on side effects and the medications they will be giving her along with the chemo to handle them.

I'm sure there's stuff I've forgotten ... search chemo here on the site and you'll find loads more info!

CA
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Old 05-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
Freaked Out

Thanks Carol Ann,

I did make the mistake of using google to research this stuff and you are 100% correct. We had a chemo class last week. They did tell us a lot of info and gave a binder about what to expect. She just picked up meds that were called in. She will have steroids, Claritin, a cream to rub on the port before treatment, etc. She is worried about weight gain with the steroids. She has been a trooper but has recently been more upset. I am here for her 100%. After her surgery, I washed her, dressed her, and thanks to having two young girls at home I was able to fix her hair. I shaved her legs, you name it. I just don't know what to say to her or how to say it when she's upset. It has caused a few issues with us at times. I guess we will know more after our first treatment. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Carol Ann

Let her know it is ok with you if she vents anger, fear, sadness ... whatever she is feeling. There is a lot of pressure in breast cancer culture to always "think positive" and "think happy thoughts", and it is hard to keep that up all the time when you are the one going through it. And just let her vent.

Because yes, this all sucks. I was worried about the steroid weight gain, too. Plus losing my hair, what side effects would I have, you name it. And then all your friends, who do mean well, are telling you to "Think happy thoughts." Yeah, right. Maybe later, but not the week before chemo!

Plus I too felt like I needed to stay positive for myself, and those around me. Then I would feel bad when all the sadness, anger, etc got to be too much.

It just isn't possible to be cheerful all the time. Hence, vent and cry moments! I still have them.

There is a vent thread here too on the forum. Check it out!

And may I also say, Stacy is lucky to have you!

CA

Old 05-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
JDee

The best thing my husband does when I am having a 'pity party' is just listen. I don't need him to try and fix it because he can't. Hold her and listen, wipe her tears, get her a glass of water. She just need you to be there.

Dee
1/17/14 Diagnosed BC
IDC HER2 3+, grade 3/3, 0.5 cm
ER, PR negative.
2/14/14 lumpectomy, SNB, nodes negative, clear margins. Started 3/28/14 Taxol/Herceptin once a week for 12 weeks then Herceptin every three weeks for rest of year.
Radiation starts in July
JDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
KDR

Freaked Out, (I'd like to address you by your name),
Welcome to our warm and wonderful site.
You can't imagine how much information and support you will receive here. I hope you are inspired by my signature, that's what I will say first. Second, there are many phases of good and bad, happy and sad, and I'm not going to lie to you, a diagnosis of cancer is a game changer, a TOTAL life changer. And you never go back. (That is unless CD47 out of Stanford U IS the Holy Grail, or other immunotherapies jump to the forefront and shut down HER2).
You will always have to remember that every case is individual, so you can't compare your situation with anyone else's...that you must stay strong, encourage your wife to eat to deter cancer, exercise and keep up her life as normally as she can.
Good luck,
Karen
In MY case, sugar equals cancer. And it is an inflammatory. I had to remove it from my diet. If I dip and ingest it, I suffer.
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
'lizbeth

FO,

I confess - I didn't take all the steroids - and never missed them. I am allergic to benadryl, but claritin does the trick.

I lost weight during treatment as the diarrhea was my worst symptom. The other 2 side effects that I hated were the hair loss and the peripheral neuropathy. I iced my hands but still do not have the same sensitivity as before chemo. My hair is thin when it used to be thick, big sigh. Chemo is not for sissies!

The Her2 numbers are much more favorable then you would think. I believe the 5 year survival rate is 95-98% at your wife's stage of diagnosis. It is not the Her2 that is the biggest threat, but the BRCA2. I say not to worry unnecessarily, but to be very vigilant and cautious. I think due to your wife concern about her family history she was making prudent decisions. I too was caught a little off-guard being diagnosed in my early 40s. Who expects to have breast cancer at such a young age?

Like many of us - the lucky majority - your wife's cancer might be just a bump in the road of life.

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 05-22-2014 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
Kkmom

Dear All of the Ladies that responded to FreakedOut - I just finished reading the previous responses to FreakedOut. I am soooo...proud to be a part of this brave and strong group of women. We have all been at the door that FreakedOut and his wife are just now going through - I am humbled to be able to serve and support others during their time of dealing with this bump in the road of life.

Dear FreakedOut and Your Wife - What a great husband you are to learn everything you can about this cancer to help your wife during this difficult time. Just some basics - we all know Her2 Neu is not the type of cancer anybody wants - but thanks to a breakthrough in drugs such as herceptin and perjetta - targeted therapy drugs - the survival rate increases tremendously. Next, everybody reacts differently to the chemo drugs - for some they are out of commission for 3 or 4 days after the treatment, then they are back to their regular routine, others they are down for the count for most of the time between treatments. Using the steroids, anti-nausea drugs, drinking water, even the port make the chemo treatments easier. Next, losing your hair - not exactly the most fun thing to go through in life, but as I found it is not the worst. I like to think of it as a badge of courage. And with today - May 22 - exactly one year ago, I finished my last chemo treatment - Your hair will grow back. Get a wig, wear the caps, hats - actually for me there was a lot of freedom in not doing my hair everyday.
My best advice to you - After my 2nd chemo - I received additional fluids because I was so dehydrated - having the extra fluids became the key for me to get through the later chemo treatments. Usually I would get the extra fluids - about 4 days after the treatment.
Last - it will be okay. For about the next 9 months, you will be on one heck of a crazy train ride - sometimes the ride will be smooth, the tunnels may be dark and way too long, but at the end of the ride - you will still be you and you will learn all about how precious life is.
Come back to this board often, we are all hear to help. Our stories are all different and unique - if you have a question, there will be somebody which can give you an answer through a first hand experience or point you in the direction to find the answer.
Pam
Herceptin, Carboplatin, Taxotere Started 6 rounds on 02/06/2013 Herceptin
Finished chemo - May 22, 2013
Radiation Therapy 06/12/2013 - 36X External
TM Marker - 13 October, 2013
TM Marker - 15 November, 2013
Annual Mammagram - 3D - Both Breast - CLEAR!!!
Colonscopy - 1st-Clear - November 18, 2013
CT Scan-Results-Clear - November 27, 2013
BC Diagnosis-1 Year - December 14, 2013
TM - holding steady at 15 - December 24, 2014
TM - 24.2 - January 12
Herceptin Treatment - Last One-February 4, 2014!!!
TM - 3.7 - February 4, 2014
MRI & CT - February 21, 2014 - All Clear
NED - and my doctor said - "well, it looks like you are NED - your MRI and CT are clear - Febuary 25, 2014
TM - 18.2 - February 21, 2014
Port Removed - Scheduled for Wed, March 19, 2014
Port Removed - Yeah!!! I feel lighter already!!!
TM - 15.3 - March 25, 2014
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram - Rt Breast - All Clear!!! - Tuesday, May 13, 2014
TM-15.5 - June 25, 2014
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram - Nov. 2014 All Clear!!!
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram-Rt Only-May,2015-All Clear!!!
Diagnostic 3D Mammo-Annual-Nov 2015-Right Clear!!! - Left Breast-found 5 mm CYST. Aspirated - all clear!!
TM - Nov 2015 - 18.2
NED-December, 2015 - 3 Years NED!!!
TM-Feb 2016 - 13.7
TM-June 2016 - 13.3
TM-Oct 2016-10.0
Annual 3D Mammo-Nov, 2016-All Clear!!!

Annual Mammogram - November 2017 - ALL CLEAR. i AM 5 (YES) YEARS OUT!!!

NED - 10 Years Out!! - December, 2022
Kkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #13
'lizbeth

The hair doesn't always grow back. I'd like to have my pre-chemo hair. If I had to do it all over, I'd wear a cold cap, switch taxanes from docetaxel to taxol, and stop at 4 chemo treatments. Some ladies permanently lose their hair with chemo - all of it.

We all have different things that bother us - that was mine. Plus the loss of cognitive function, memory, etc.

Hence - the enthusiasm over any advance in the treatment of cancer that moves us all away from chemo to more personalized care.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
mjm

Hi Freaked Out,

Good choice of user name but hopefully in time it won't feel so accurate.

My mum has just had her 5th of 6 TCH chemo sessions. The first was probably the hardest because it was so full of surprises - we expected nausea to be the worst side effect, but instead she got really bad heartburn and put on 3 and a half kilos overnight swelling up from water retention. These symptoms still come up in each cycle, but she is getting better at knowing how to cope with the side effects - what meds work for her, what foods and liquids help or make her feel worse etc.

You can help a lot (sounds like you already are!!!) by helping her figure out & buy whatever might make her feel a bit less horrid on the bad days.

If she is up for it, walking every day helps - even if it is sometimes a short slow walk with a few sits along the way.

As for the emotional side of things, listening is probably best. Different people cope with the fear and stress of cancer in different ways - it may be helpful for you both to be able to open up and talk/cry about your fears, or maybe she needs you to provide comfort and reassurance. Or just listen and hold her.

The OLD stats on HER2+ are horrible, but since Herceptin and the other newer treatments HER2+ isn't such a bad cancer to have if you have to have one. And there is an amazing amount of research being done to make even more effective treatments.

I think it's natural to be scared to death at the beginning, but it does seem to get easier over time.

By the way, people are more likely to visit these sites while cancer is prominent in their minds - during treatment, or later if there's a recurrence. A reasonably high percentage of people won't have a recurrence, and after their treatment may be more absorbed in other parts of life again and visit less and less often (as much as we love to see their positive stories). So you'll see less of these on the boards even though they're out there. Hopefully your wife won't have any more episodes of cancer, but it's also reassuring to see the details from women who are still going strong after various recurrences.

Wishing the two of you all the best on this crazy roller coaster -M
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
mjm

PS - to pack for the chemo lounge: We usually take a comfy cardigan in case it's cold, some of Mum's fave teabags and a healthy lunch (her hospital provides sandwiches but we both ended up with a stomach ache from the stodgy food so bring our own salad or quiche now), and a good book.

Try to stock u beforehand on meds for common side-effects (constipation & diarrhea, the biotene mouthwash, etc etc) so its on hand straight away if she needs it.
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #16
linn65

Lizabeth, my hair has always been fine but lots of it. Now, I do notice it thin in places. My hair stylist told me to get nioxen (sp) but there all different ones, so I haven't. My acupuncturist told me the shampoo would not work but the acupuncture would help that too.

FO,
For your wife listen, let her cry and maybe if she is lying her head on your shoulder sing a simple song to her, and know you can't fix the way she is feeling and let her go through it. Listen to her and pay attention to what she tells you. Don't let her feel guilt, worry, or shame because you are the caretaker and it's hard on you too (go to other caretakers for that-not her). Start taking a multi-vitamin with iron, vitamin D, and glucosime. I never gained any weight with steroids so I took them. Have one liner jokes ready to make her laugh because it will be hard to find anything to laugh about. These are just a few things......shall I go on...
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
Freaked Out

To all of you, I simply do not know what to say. I am completely overwhelmed by the responses I am receiving. I did see that there was a lot of good information on here to be found, but I did not expect the reaching out/support. This is truly awesome. I have not shared this with Stacy yet, it's kind of been my support and "go to" place. But after seeing how the folks seem to really care and share info, I am going to at least offer her a chance to look into it. Not sure if she is ready to do that or not.

We have two you daughters at home so she has worried about everything from getting healthy so that she is around to see them grow up to not looking like "mom" in the near future. I must say that as vain as it sounds she is having a hard time with the loss of hair. Stacy has the most gorgeous, natural curly hair and a lot of it. She gets told how much everyone would love to have hair like hers a few times a week. We discussed the cold caps but the Doc said that it will not work for her and that she will lose it for sure. As sad as that makes her, she recently watched a video of a woman talking about losing her eyelashes etc and that seemed to upset her even more. Stacy is very strong and has spent her life helping others so it's a little hard for her being the on the other side. She turns 40 this weekend and gets her first chemo treatment 4 days after her birthday. NOT FUN. But we will remain and positive as we can and keep our chin up. She is thinking about cutting her hair really short (not shaving it) so that she has some control over the situation.

I forgot to say, we did recently get a good report! The CT and bone scan reports came back clear. Waiting on these results was very stressful since we have not had many positive things happen during all of this.

I really can't thank yall enough for everything. I have found myself smiling several times while reading and replying to the above messages. You ladies ROCK!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
Gerri

Hi Freaked Out,

I am one of the fortunate ones - eight years out now and doing amazingly well. As mjm stated, when done with treatment many are doing well and simply move on with life and don't post much. I'm guilty of not posting regularly, but visit this site often. Having said that, I would like to offer you some hope.

I was at the Revlon Walk/Run in Los Angeles a few weeks ago. This event began in 1994 to fund the research for Herceptin. Dr. Dennis Slamon (the researcher) appears at this event every year and gives a short speech. This year he said that HER2 breast cancer used to have the worst outcome, but with the advent of Herceptin and other targeted therapies, it is now considered to have the best outcome! Breast cancer patients are now disappointed when they are not HER2 positive.

If you want to learn more about Herceptin there is a great book that gives the history of the drug and the story behind Dr. Slamon and his research: Her-2: The Making of Herceptin, a Revolutionary Treatment for Breast Cancer by Robert Bazell. It is a really great story and well worth the read. I also found this YouTube video of Dr. Slamon giving a talk in layman language. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJgngLQgllM

As far as hair loss goes, I lost all of mine but it all came back and looks as good as it did before. Again, one of the lucky ones, but it is certainly not uncommon to grow back a full head of hair. A great book with a humorous spin regarding hair loss (and everything cancer): It's Not About the Hair: And Other Certainties of Life & Cancer by Debra Jarvis. Trust me, it's not easy being a bald woman, but for most women it is a temporary condition and can be hidden with wigs, caps, scarves, etc. The lack of eyelashes was harder to hide, but I still wore make-up and eyeliner seemed to make it less noticeable.

It is obvious that your wife has a huge support system with you as her biggest supporter. Like others have said, you can't fix this or change what has happened. What you can do is love her, support her, and just listen when all she wants to do is verbalize what is going on inside.

My best wishes to Stacy as she goes through treatment. With you by her side she will do great!
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault

Last edited by Gerri; 05-23-2014 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: added
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #19
LeahM

So many wonderful responses here Freaked Out. You have found a community of love and support that will get you and Stacey thru some very rocky months.

I could repeat what everyone else said, as they all said great things, but I won't I will just add a few of my own thoughts.

You mention young children. My daughter was 7 when I was diagnosed. We chose to be honest with her while shielding her from details. We also relied on her teachers/principal and guidance counselor to help support her. My chemo started in the summer so we found her a therapist to talk to. There is a great book called "why (or when??) mommy wore a hat". Look it up and if you want it and can't find it, PM me, I will look for it and send it to you.

Also, I had great, long naturally curly hair too. I shaved it off before it fell out because emotionally I knew I wouldn't handle that well. I got two wigs that I never wore and tied long pretty scarfs around my head. My hair is now just a bit less curly then before, but it is thicker. I have kept it kind of short because I never realized I had such a nice neck.

Wishing you all the best
Leah
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
CoolBreeze

I'm really sorry your family is facing this but she, like many of the wonderful women here, will get through it. You can read my story at my blog, http://www.butdoctorihatepink.com but basically, I was diagnosed Stage II in 2009. I did the same treatment your wife did and got through it just fine - even worked. My son was 12 at the time. Even though mets were found in my liver after treatment, I am still here. He graduates high school in 2 weeks and I'm thrilled to be here for that! He is going to college at Caltech and you know I"m so happy to see where he ends up.

Of course, your wife is going to be really upset to lose her hair. We all are. But it will grow back in no time. Sometimes it helps to cut it short first, so when it comes out you aren't losing all those long strands. It's pretty messy too. She can see what she looks like in a short 'do as she'll have one for a while as her hair grows in.

Chemo is not anywhere near as scary as the movies make it out to be. I have been on 7 different chemos and none made me throw up. Only one even made me nauseous and that was my 7th, Gemzar, and that's probably because I'd been on it for so many years. I would recommend she try not to be too scared as it's nothing like what is described. Her biggest problem will likely be constipation, and easy enough one to solve.

Good luck to your family.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
her2 breast cancer, her2+, herceptin, tch