HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Deb

Sister Risk

Does anyone have any info on studies looking at increased risk of b.c. for sister of women with b.c. with her2?
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Berta

I don't know if this helps or not but I can tell you that when my sister was diagnosed, my ob/gyn told me that this increased my risk. I was diagnosed approximately 18 months later. Berta
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
Deb

Thanks Berta. I am 52 and the one with b.c. My sisters are 62, 60, 59, 51, 50 & 45 none of them have any sign of b.c., but of course they are worried.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Kimberly Lewis

Not much info but some...

Hi - My sister's onc told her to consider having genetic testing done for the BRCA1 + BRCA2. Her insurance will cover the gentic counceling and the test itself. She lives in NY I live in North Carolina. I was told my insurance wouldn't cover it for me. I was diagnosed 5/05 as stage 3a... her2+++ and erpr+.
Her Dr. response was I think you will die of heart disease before breast cancer! (she smokes and drinks heavily) so far though she is the picure of health!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
karenann

My mom and her sister both had breast cancer as did, six other cousins, and me...that makes nine. We don't even know about the aunts, but we are pretty sure at least two of them died from bc. I did have the genetic testing done and it came up negative. Oh, and I was told that most Her2+++ cancers are not brca1 and brca2 positive.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
Joe
Webmaster

Sister Study

You may be interested in participating in a long term study of breast cancer between sisters. One of our board members, Vernal Branch, is very active in this organization.

http://www.sisterstudy.org/English/index1.htm

Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
sabpri

My sister was tested after I tested BRCA +

I was shocked to find out I was BRCA 2 positive, as no one in my family has had breast cancer. We think it came from my dad's side, as he has had melanoma and my grandfather died of bile duct cancer which are both linked to the gene on the male side.

My sister tested negative for BRCA, thank goodness. Guess only me got the lucky BC gene!
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #8
Becky

My mom had bc (still living) and 3 of her sisters had it too (2 are still living). Neither of my sisters have it and none of my cousins. I am the first of that generation of women to get bc and I am one of the youngest cousins but....

My dad's mother died from ovarian cancer and I think that might have contributed to my "genetic" weakness (having it on both sides of the family). I was tested but came up negative for BRCA 1 & 2. I feel my sisters are at risk since my mom and I both developed bc.

Warm regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote