HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Kavy

Update on Brain Mets

Hi, Everyone,
Here is a quick update. I had a MRI of the brain in April, and the tumor in the cerebellum grew, and 2 new ones showed up, so the radiation oncologist wanted me to do WBR, but I wanted to do Xknife again. Then I saw the neurosurgeon, and he said that the xknife did not work, and scheduled another craniotomy to June 2. I had to wait 3 weeks to wash off Halaven before the surgery. While this, I saw a thoracic surgeon to make sure it was safe to have surgery because of the lung mets and had the preop tests. The day before surgery, I had another MRI and I was ready to go, I even had the fiducious on my forehead, everything ready to go. Then, I got a call from the surgeon's assistant saying that he saw my MRI, that the tumor shrunk, and that he was canceling the surgery because he thought that the growth was necrosis, and that he would follow up with MRI. I was... NOT AGAIN!!!! I was ready to go and get this over, but... I was relieved at the same time. I still have balance problems, my handwriting is horrible, cramps in my fingers, blurry vision. Still on decadron and keppra.
I went to see a neuro oncologist for the first time, and he looked at both MRI from April and June 1, and he noticed that not only the tumors that were radiated with the Xknife were smaller, but also the 2 new tumor that showed up on April MRI, and he said it might be Halaven that did that, and I was WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!! I do pray and hope that he is right, and that Halaven is proven to cross the blood brain barrier, it would help so many of us. He said for me not to do anything now, like xknife to the 2 new spots, and we will do another MRI in one month to see how it looks. I'm back on halaven/herceptin. Now let's all pray that he is right.
Side effects of halaven: hair loss (shaved my head for the 4th time in 6 years), no nausea, some fatigue, neuropathy getting worse, no neutropenia yet, very tolerable so far.
By the way, before I started halaven, I had a very bad cough, I couldn't talk for a long time without coughing a lot. After 3 treatments with halaven in April/May, the cough is gone, and remember I had to stay 3 weeks without it for the surgery.
Have a great weekend.
KarlaV.
Kavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
Kim in DC

Re: Update on Brain Mets

Praying that the Havalen in doing the trick!

Kim
er/pr-, her2neu+++
8/19 taxotere and herceptin
1/15/2005 Navelbine/Herceptin
4/2005 radiation and Herceptin
5/15/2005 Herceptin alone
2/12/2008 skin biopsy positive
2/14/2008 met to sternum, possibly right breast
2/27/08 Start omitarg, herceptin, taxotere trial
3/17/08 Kicked off trial because I started too close to my last herceptin
3/19 start tykerb xeloda
Right breast confirmed met
5/15/08 skin mets gone, no hypermetabolic activity in breast, sternum healing
8/24/08 scans still look good. sternum still active with scarring. No evidence of progression
10/08 Progression in sternum
12/08 Start TDM1 trial
1/09 Scans show stable
12/09 1 year on TDM1 still stable
10/10 progression in chest and liver
11/10 false positive of liver mets; tykerb and herceptin
4/11 Tykerb/Herceptin/Xgeva
4/11 Rads to Sternum
5/12/12 NED Herceptin/Zometa
3/16/19 still NED Herceptin/Zometa very 6months
Kim in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
chrisy

Wow Karla! Quite the roller coaster! Sounds encouraging- and we will all be crossing our fingers with you! Btw I'm impressed with how you've been able to seek out the "right" people to be in your team! Keep up the good wirk
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Ellie F

Praying for continued good results.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Sandra in GA

Karla,
I am praying everything continues to shrink! ~ Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Rich66

Gosh sounds like some kind of last minute reprieve
But there may be a lesson in there about giving adequate time for evaluating results..especially with radiation treatments. By the way..I think it's great that they had the spine to stop something so close to being performed. They could have easily just gone ahead.
Has anyone suggested the coughing being a known side effect of Halaven?
Any chance of adding in Tykerb to the Herceptin?

(ok..edit..looks like Halaven may have gotten rid of the cough)

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
hutchibk

Rich, I was going to ask the same about Tykerb... have you ever had Tykerb, Kavy?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Jackie07

Sorry for the interruption. Karla has been put on Tykerb according to her posting in March:

"Thank you all for your support, prayers and good thoughts.
I got out of the hospital yesterday, Yeah!!!!!!!!!, but my white counts were still high 18, I still have a bad cough, and I'm feeling very tired. When the doctor came to see me, I put up my best face, and pretended I was feeling great lol, but I though I was going to stay another day. He said to be safe, he should keep me one more day there, but since I was feeling and looking good, he was going to release me YES!!!!!! I couldn't believe!!!! I was so, so happy!!!!

Started my Tykerb yesterday, and slept and rested since I got home. Today I went for my Herceptin, and slept most of the day after I came back. I'm still taking insulin and 2 kinds of antibiotic, besides the other medications I already take. I still have a bad cough, feel short of breath, tired and had mild fever today. Tomorrow I will have a CT scan of the chest, and hopefully things will look better than on the scan they did in the hospital. I will see my pulmonologist this week and oncologist next week. I pray that the infection and this bad cough go away soon.

Did any of you have a partially colapsed lung? Is it painful? I wonder about my partial colapsed lung. I was in extremely pain when I went to the ER, but the pain is gone. Does that mean that my left lung is back to normal? I pray that this is true.
Thanks again for your support. You guys are amazing. God bless you all.

I will keep you updated.

Love to all,
KarlaV."

She did quit after a year according to her May 2nd posting:

"I just started Halaven/Herceptin for my lung mets because of progression, before I was on herceptin/Tykerb for a year. First week I had Herceptin/Halaven, second week just Halaven, this week is my week off. Side effects so far: I feel very tired,but I was already feeling very tired before halaven, no nausea (no nausea medication, when I feel mild nausea, I eat something, and I'm fine), it seems neuropathy is getting worse, thinning of the hair. One thing I noticed is that I'm coughing more since I started the new drug."

Seems these drugs often become effective again after stopping them for a while. But looks like Halaven is doing a good job. Hurrah!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 06-11-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #9
Delaney

Best wishes Karla, so glad its working.
Lung mets shrinking.
Back on Herceptin with T/X. Partial response.
Skin mets progressing. Radiation scheduled mid february 2011.
Spot found on hip - radiation to hip beginning mid February 2011.
Now trying Gemzar/Tyverb/Herceptin and Zometa.
CT scan Feb 2011 - lung clear!
Brain mets (specks) - radiation mid Feb.
Brain Scan June'11 - Clear
CT Scan June'11 - Good - skin met active - watch and wait.
Surgery to remove skin met. Surgery to back 2012, four titanium rods inserted. Skin mets reappear. On Navelbine, not working. 4 week washout, start Myocet for skin and lung mets August 2012. Brain scan clear despte intermittent blurry vision (something hiding? Am suspicious but hopeful. )On we go, glad to be here.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 AM   #10
Kavy

I was on Tykerb/ Herceptin for a year when the MRI found the 3 brain mets. I had Xknife in February, and in March I ended up in the hospital with a lot of pain in my lungs, I had pneumonia and a partially colapsed lung. I was put back on Tykerb/Herceptin, but the chest CT scan showed progression, now the 2 big tumors on the upper left lung became a 6 cm one, plus a progression on the 3 cm in the lower left lobe, and several new small 5mm in both lungs. At the time I had a cough that I felt was getting worse. Then my oncologist stopped Tykerb and started me on Halaven/Herceptin, I sugested him to keep me on Tykerb as well, but he said no.
I also noticed that the cough got even worse when I started Halaven ( I believe this can be a side effect), but after these few treatments my cough is gone. I haven't had a CT scan after I started Halaven, because I had to stop it to prepare for surgery. I do not know when I will have another CT scan, maybe in July, I need to see my oncologist.
Thanks Jackie for helping to answer some of our sisters' questions. You are great.
Thank you all for your prayers and suggestions.
God bless you.
I will keep you updated.
KarlaV.
Kavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 AM   #11
Trish

Pleased to hear the good news Karla. Hope things continue to go well for you.
Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote