HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
balogabear

advice please

Hi I discovered that I had a tumour back in September this year, the first visit to my doctor (female) she just dismissed my concerns saying it was just related to my menstrual cycle (no examination or eye contact wow how clever was she ) after persisting and seeing a nurse who did take me seriously I was sent of to the hospital and to cut a long story short eventually got the diagnosis of BC.
I had a lumpectomy and waited for test results. there was no lymph involvement, the tumour was 2cm and they got a clear 2mm area around during surgery, but it tested positive to HER2.
I had my first cycle of FEC 75 a week ago tomorrow and even now feel sick to the stomach about having to go back, I am finding the diagnosis really hard still and was wondering if anyone had refused chemo in a similar situation? I wanted to say no but am terrified of it coming back yet terrified of the side effects ect of the chemo.
also how and what happens during radiotherapy? and herceptin as I have these after chemo.

has anyone used the cold cap with FEC75?

thank you in advance for any advise it will be appreciated
balogabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
jra40

Re: advice please

Glad you are here, this is the best place to be to help you through your journey.

It is a very tough decision to waive chemo but that has to be a personal choice. When I was diagnosed last year, the word "chemo" sent chills through my body. Looking back now, I am glad I went through with the process. My tumor shrank to nothing with no node involvment and it gives me some comfort in the reduction in the recurrance percentage rate. I was able to work and enjoy a realitively normal life (whatever that is) through the chemo process.

I am currently in radiation until mid-November, I have 20 rads completed so far. I go everyday and it has been a piece of cake! I love my treatment team and they make it a pleasant experience. I do not feel a thing and have had no side effects. I am on Herceptin too, every three weeks along with Tamoxifen for 5 years. Herceptin does not give me many side effects, only slight joint aches. I feel extremely well and am now back to running 3 miles, 4 days a week.

Chemo is a tough process but it is what we have to do to combat cancer. It's a temporary bump in the road, and it seems like a distant memory to me now. If you do go through with it, you will be surprised at the inner strength you have and the love & support that will surround you.

God bless,

Jessica
3/15/11 - Began weekly Taxol/Herceptin infusions along with 750mg of Tykerb taken by mouth daily
6/28/11 - Finished last cycle of Taxol
7/27/11 - Breast MRI shows tumor has dissolved, remarkable reaction to chemo
8/31/11 - Lumpectomy, Sentinel Node biopsy. Node negative, clear margins, 7mm of cancer left over from chemo.
10/05/11 - Started radiation, 5 days a week for 7 weeks.
11/8/11 - Finished radiation
3/21/12 - Last Herceptin!
3/26/12 - Port removed!
Tamoxifen for 5 years
8/4/15 - Hysterectomy & bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Due to large fibroids. No cancer!
8/8/15 - Started Arimidex
jra40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
NEDenise

Balogabear,
I'm sorry you have to deal with any of this...but I'm glad you came here. There's so much support and wisdom here.

I was diagnosed at stage III, so chemo was never "optional" for me. I had to pull out the biggest guns possible. But I have to say...with all the great pre-meds and anti-emitics...it wasn't bad. Not nearly what I thought it would be.
Except for bone pain with Taxol, my only side effect was extreme fatigue. Many women on the forum say they worked through chemo...I did not. I couldn't.

The best advice I have gotten from our HER2 sisters here is:
1. Make the best choice you can with the info you have.
2. Once you decide, don't look back.

To that I would add...make sure you have all the best info available. Get second, or even third opinions if you need them. My goal is never to feel that "if only I had known" kind of regret, because I didn't know what my options were.

I wish you all the best!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
tricia keegan

I think I felt the same during my chemo and all that kept me going was the fear of the cancer was bigger than the fear of chemo!
Herceptin for me was a breeze and I had few if any side effects to speak of so really it did'nt bother me to go every three weeks for the year and it went by quickly.
I was also fortunate with rads and did'nt burn at all and just went slightly pink and itchy, the tx takes only minutes so looking back, once I finished the chemo the rest was very do able!
Good luck with your decision, there was a lady on another support site diagnosed with me and she chose Vit C infusions rather than chemo although she was'nt her2+, she has since sadly recurred to stage iv but is having a good response to Faslodex. In your case perhaps herceptin alone with rads may suffice, why not discuss with your onc again for his opinion??
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
fullofbeans

her2 is vicious i had no lymph involvement initially. also i can see you are in the uk just by the type of treatement you are receiving and the delay at dx..

a taxane is usually often for chemo which also allow to get herceptin at the same time.

you did not get CT scanned did you?

Chemo is bad and yes side effect are horrendous but if it does give you an extra 10% chance to not spread well .. most people recover fine from a chemo first line look kelly Minogue.. more difficult after..

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
CoolBreeze

I disagree that side effects are horrendous. I'm very sorry if it was for you, fullofbeans, but I've been on chemo for almost two years, three different ones, plus herceptin, and I have not had any terrible side effects.

I followed some simple rules: drank a TON of water before, during and the day after chemo - I ate high fiber and took my meds religiously whether I thought I needed them or not. I never had any nausea or vomiting or even constipation. I did lose my hair with my first round but that was to be expected. With the Navelbine that I've been on, the only side effects are to my blood, which all chemos do.

So, don't be afraid, it certainly isn't true that everybody gets side effects and in fact, with the pre-meds they have these days, most people don't. If you are having negative side effects - if you did last time - dry drinking a LOT of water to help flush your system. Being hydrated before, during and after can really help. Also, if they give you meds, take them on time even if they say "as needed." I took my antinausea meds even though I never was nauseated, just in case.

As for the cold caps, it's my understanding that you have to use them from first use. If you have already had one session than I'm not sure they'll work. Won't hurt to try if you can stand them though.

You might ask for ativan if you are really nervous, or talk to your chemo nurses about whatever side effects you are having. They often have things to help.

Giving up chemo is a personal choice. The only person I know who did is no longer with us. Her2 is nasty, nasty stuff and chemo doesn't last too long in the grand scheme of things.

For most people, anyway.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
balogabear

Thanx all for sharing your experiences it really is helpful. CB I have had the first round of FEC75 and although I did feel weird no sickness just really tired. I did however not feel hungry and had to make sure I ate at regular intervals.
The only reason I did consider saying no to chemo was that apart from the HER2+ everything else was negative. The cold cap wasn't that bad and having read stories on the net about the pain for the first 15 min I am concerned that it wasn't working properly.
I am in the UK, and once passed the very useless GP the hospital staff involved in my care have been great.
I am going to have FEC75 at 3wkly intervals followed by Herceptin and radiotherapy,
Thankyou all so much for your advice because I will defo be drinking lots of water now

19/7/11 : nurse appointment refered to hospital

21/7/11: scan, mammogram and biopsy at hospital

2/8/11: diagnosis

12/08/11 operation to remove lump

6/9/11: results day :( clear margins, no lymph involvement BUT HER2+.

diagnosed at 43 years young
left breast invasive ductal cancer plus high grade DCIS
post WLE plus SLNB 12th August
pT1b NO G3 10mm pluss DCIS 0/3 NODES NEGATIVE
ER-ve, PR-ve, HER2+ve

chemo recomended

6 cycles of FEC75 at 3 weekly intervals
radiotherapy to a total of 40Gy in 15 fraction
and herceptin on completion of chemo

cycle 1 : 25/10/11
cycle 2 : 16/10/11 two down and counting :)
balogabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
CoolBreeze

I'm glad you are doing okay. Everything was negative for me too, and the cancer still invaded my liver. Which is why I say HER2 is nasty. Do everything you can to help yourself.

For the record, I had a breast so full of cancer my pathology report was four pages long. The doctor couldn't believe it - he waved the papers at me saying, "Have you seen this?" He was shocked it wasn't in my nodes but it had clearly already escaped because there was so much. So, don't let my story scare you, you have much smaller amounts than me. But, you still have to treat it.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
tricia keegan

I think the her2+ is a good enough reason to continue chemo too and glad you made that decision. I'm in Ireland so not too far from you and have had wonderful care from day 1 and really cant praise my medical team highly enough either!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote