HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Grace

Having an Echo, get the LVEF percentage!

Hi, just to share what happened to me so you're all aware you need an LVEF number if you have an echo instead of a MUGA.

Had an echo/stress two weeks ago (every three months for Herceptin) and when cardiologist called she said EF was normal but couldn't give me a number.

Even if it's still above 50% I need to know if it's gone down from 60%, my most recent number. Phone just rang and I'm on phone with tech right now. She has a number but says she can't give it to me, so we're playing the bread basket game: is it higher than 50%, yes; is it higher than 55%; yes; is it 60% (my last Mugua was 60%)--I can't tell you that. So now I have to wait for my doctor to call with exact number.

So point of this post, if you get an echo rather than a Muga, make sure they know that you have to know the exact number, not just whether it's above normal, as oncologist wants to know the actual percentage that it has dropped--that is, if it has dropped. Hopefully, in my case, not.

So now I wait!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
chrisy

I second that~!

Grace, the same thing happened to me- they kept reporting it as "normal" but no number (so not very helpful in monitoring until it is "not normal"!). So I don't really even have a baseline for what my LVEF was before I got on this roller coaster!

One thing that can happen (esp if you are a "technically difficult" read due to an implant) is that the tech will not even get that measurement. Hence, I let them know that NOBODY leaves the room until they've got it done. I got to where the first thing I said when I arrived was OK I'm here to get that LVEF, we're going to get it and it's going to be easy! Then I made the tech put notes all over everything to make sure the cardiologist got the message.

Although I like to think I was responsible for their remarkable turnaround, it could also have been after I complained to my onc, he called over there, read them the riot act, and told them he would start sending all his patients somewhere else! Regardless, I get the number now.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Grace

Hi Chrisy,

It's after 5:00 and I still haven't gotten the number, and they have it! I told doctor's office I needed to cancel my infusion if it's below a certain number and still no call, and no number.

Thank goodness it's over very soon.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Grace

Get this!

My cardiologist's stand-in, also a cardiologist but a man and I can tell by his voice a young man, finally calls back (mine is away) and wants to know what I want. I said, the EF. (I left four messages that I needed the number.) He say's it's "Normal." I'm ready to explode at this point, but I don't, and I say: "I need the number." He still won't give it to me, and wants to know why I need the number. I have to go through a long explanation when this is the reason I had the echo done in the first place. His response is that the number is so imprecise, that there's no point in giving it out. So let's not do it at all, I should have said. But I didn't!

But he finally gave it to me, and it's 60%, which is what it's is been for most of the previous year, so I will go ahead with herceptin next week.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
chrisy

Oh brother!

Grace,
Lucky for that doctor you weren't face to face with him! Maybe you missed the secret code with the tech - She said she couldn't tell you, and said "no" to all your guesses and "I can't tell you" to when you guessed 60!

What a crazy system!

Good thing they didn't require a blood pressure - that might have been off the chart after all that baloneysauce!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Alice

It seems so silly that they would not give you your number especially the Dr. I always get my number. I don't usually get it the day I had the echo but at least a day or 2 later. The tech always says that it looks pretty much like the last one but to get a number the Dr. has to do the calculations. It can be frustrating when they won't give you a silly little answer!
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Grace

Chrisy--you're absolutely right, that it was good we weren't face to face. I actually bit my lip to hold back. At the end, though, when he finally gave me the number and added "that these numbers are very imprecise," I thanked him but also said:

Since all my numbers have been an imprecise 60%, I'm happy that this also is an imprecise 60%."

I may go back to MUGA's next time, and my old lab. The tech there, the only one who can get into a vein without bruising me, always tells me my numbers then and there. We have a pact that I won't tell the doctor.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
tousled1

Grace,

I will ditto what Chrisy said - lucky you were on the phone and weren't there in person. I must admit I've never had that problem, that God. I had echocardiograms every 3 months while on Herceptin and on my visit to the onc's office they wouldn't even start my treatment until they looked at the report. Also, I always got a copy of my echos and each one had a % listed. Glad your LVEF is still good.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
Grace

Thanks all for your sympathetic listening. All's well that ends well.

Kate--As I said before I wish and pray for the very best for you. You have a wonderfully even temperament, which will get you through this.