HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2005, 04:50 AM   #1
*_IRENE FROM TAMPA_*

Hi Lisa -

I was just wondering that I recall sometime back you were considering changing to ABRAXANE. Did you ever do this and if so how is it going for you.

I just started my second course for another recurrence that I have now and understand that this is a very new drug. Was wondering how many of us out there are on this and what results they are seeing.

I have been taken off of the Herceptin (hopefully just for now) while on Abraxane. My onc feels that maybe Herceptin not working for me any more.
I feel it has helped keep under control. I am going to readdress this issue later with her.

Anyway, I get some of my best information talking directly to the "patient" (I think we know our bodies the best anyway) so what results were being obtained. I have not been on long enough yet to really know how this will work (or not) for me.

Take care

Irene
Old 08-31-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
Mickey

I am on abraxane. Having my 2nd dose today. Unfortunately don't have any results for you.
Mickey
Old 08-31-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
Sandy H.

I asked my oncologist if I could try it and he said, "no way" because neuropathy was worse then with the Taxol for some of us. I do have neuropathy from the Taxol. He said the only advantage to using Abraxane was no pre meds and he said that was good but the side effects were the same if not worse. I was really disappointed. I hope it works for you both. hugs, Sandy
Old 08-31-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Lisa

As my tumor markers kept climbing and before he ordered my latest scans, my onc discussed switching me from Taxol to Abraxane. He was hoping that since you get more of the drug per session (via its new "delivery" method), it might give us more bang for the buck, so to speak.

But my scans showed the liver was looking much better and there were NEW mets in the torso lymph nodes. So since Taxol seemed to have really helped the liver, but allowed new mets, he talked to other docs and they decided to try Gemzar, a non-Taxotere drug. If Gemzar doesn't do the trick, there is always still Abraxane to try.

I wasn't worried about side effects, since I found that 50 mg. of B6 daily plus 5 grams of L-Glutamine daily got rid of my neuropathy.

Do keep us posted on your markers and scans, as well as side effects.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #5

Hi I'm new here and for the moment just reading the posts.

I just finiashed 4 treatments of Abraxane (dose dense) and have just started Herceptin this past Monday with loading dose.

I have had no side effects at all from the Abraxane nor did I have any side effects with my 4 treatments of AC (dose dense as well).

I will continue to read with intrest on Herceptin, as I really didn't want to take it BUT my Onc said it would help me very much.

Vicki
Old 08-31-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
*_IRENE FROM TAMPA_*

Lisa - when you say "new delivery method" what does that mean

Guest - when you say "dose dense" what does that mean.

I want to be sure I am taking correctly where it will work (we are breaking down into thirds in the 3 week period as I mentioned)

Irene
Old 08-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
Lisa

New delivery method: Abraxane is basically the same drug as Taxotere or Taxol. It is a taxotere. Because it is "wrapped up" in a different element than these other drugs, it is delivered quicker to the body. From what I understand, a 30 minute infusion. It is also given in a larger dose than Taxol or Taxotere. Hope that clears it up.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-31-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
Sandy H.

Lisa that is good the B6 and g-powder works for you. I was taking 100mg. B6 and 30 grams of the g-powder daily. It helped but still had lots of burning in my feet, legs and hands. Our bodies react so differently to these drugs. hugs, Sandy
Old 08-31-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
*_Vicki_*

Guest - when you say "dose dense" what does that mean.

Dose Dense is given every two weeks.

Vicki