HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2005, 06:13 AM   #1
*_IRENE FROM TAMPA_*

I have "requested" for tumor markers to be drawn on me on a monthly basis. Since my original breast cancer in 1996 I have kept all of my results and have been able to notice a pattern in how they rise and fall. I have had four recurrences since and each time by noticing an increase in my CEA which prompted scanning and finding a new tumor early enough to treat. Of course, I do not depend soley on markers, but I seem to be sensitive to them, especially the CEA in my case.

I know that there are doctors that do not put alot of faith in having them drawn so often - but since we seem to keep things under control by doing this (and my oncs. agree) I feel more comfortable having them drawn monthly for my peace of mind. Of course like I stated we also keep an eye on any other symtoms, if any occur. This does not work for everyone I understand, but if you can establish what is normal for you, then I feel there is no harm and I make sure that I establish a relationship with an oncologist that shares my views.

There are other factors that can give you an increase in the numbers so knowing how your body works is very important so as not to cause you needless anxiety.

My advise is to keep close track of your blood work and establish your pattern. This seems to make me feel like I have at least a little control.

Good luck to you -

Irene
Old 03-28-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
Kristen

Thank you Irene,
I just find it amazing how CEA keeps popping up. Most onc's want the CA 15-3 or CA 27-29. I think you ladies might have something here? Thank you for your advice. My best to you. Take Care K
Old 03-28-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Rozebud

Irene/Kristin - What is the diff. between CEAs and the normal CA 15/3 or 27/29 tests?
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
Kristen

hey Rozebud,
Lolly gave me a site for TM's but you would have to ask her where, chemo brain. CEA is usually for lung and colon if I am correct. The others are for BC. but not that / or they are accurate for some, I find it surprising that the 3 people who responded got results from CEA. Good q for J.

Take care R. LOL k
Old 03-29-2005, 06:06 AM   #5
*_IRENE FROM TAMPA_*

Hi Kristen and Rosebud -

I do not really know what the CEA actually stands for. Another form of tumor marker. In my years, they have drawn CEA / 27-29 and now the 15/3. For years it was the CEA and the 27/29 then my onc. changed to the 15/3 - Although they have told me that the CEA is not as specific and can change ie, if there is an infection going on in your system, etc. - I feel this one is the one that my body seems to be the most sensitive to and my doctors have found it to be true also. For me it seems to work so far. Like I mentioned, this does not apply to everyone and we still check the 15/3 along with it.

I can truly say though, that throughout the years, for me, this has been a good indicator. I must say that I am very vigilant in keeping up with all of my blood work results as well as scans and have found "my" pattern.

At present - I am very watchful since I had liver surgery last July. Everything seems to be good so far but this is about the same time frame out from my previous occurence so I am keeping a very close eye out for any changes. Unfortunately, not an easy thing to remove from our minds I know, but taking control seems to help me.

I am getting ready to have all my scans again now in April to see if anything new popping up.

Meantime, I am enjoying life to the fullest everyday, and make as many plans for the future as possible.

I wish you ladies the best of luck and my prayers are with you. Stay strong.

Irene
Old 03-29-2005, 06:12 AM   #6
*_IRENE FROM TAMPA_*

Rosebud and Kristen -

Sorry I got carried away in my last post -

I do not remember a specific web site but I usually just enter CEA or 15/3 (or tumor markers) in search and this usually brings up quite a bit of info.

Irene
Old 03-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Rozebud

Thanks Irene!
Old 03-29-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Kristen

Thanks Irene, Thank you so much for all the info you gave, I appreciate hearing about your battles as it helps me make my decisions. you stay strong also and I just know that your scans in April will be clear. Take Care and God Bless, K
Old 03-29-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
StephN

CEA - stands for Carcenogenic Embryonic Antigen.

That is what it says on my lab report sheets. It seems to be a marker that is sensitive to several stimuli, but it has been working for me as in indicator that some cancer was active.

I recall that Christine also mentioned that her CEA rose to 9. something when her brain mets were discovered.

Seem to be a worthwhile marker to check for many of us.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #10
*_AlaskaAngel_*

THANK YOU, Irene...

I appreciate your bringing up this subject in the manner that you did -- very gently and respectful of other points of view. This subject has been controversial, partly because for some people any test results are terrifying, and partly because (as you clearly indicate) they may not be accurate for some people. Markers are only one tool that can be used. They are only an indicator, and are just a result of scientific efforts to try to find some indicators that could help is all in the darkness of the mysteries of cancer.

I happen to be hanging at the edge of stage 1/HER2+++ and so far NED. My onc and my internist and I all feel comfortable with doing the markers. My markers have been entirely consistent with my status.

In this last year, because I have some pains inside my head that worried me and made me wonder if they represented mets, my doctors and I considered various signs and symptoms and labs in deciding whether I should have any kind of scan of the brain. Some of the labs we took into consideration included the CA 15-3, the CA 27.29, and the CEA. I have kept my CA 27.29 results since diagnosis so have some history with that. Our local hospital no longer does the CA 27.29 and I still think this may be an economy measure more than a qualilty factor; therefore, while in Seattle overnight recently I had the CA 27.29 done. Because of Steph's comments here about the CEA being accurate for mets for her, my local doctor and I agreed that I could also have that done. All markers remain well within normal range. As you say, the markers are not a lone deciding factor that we use in deciding what to do next. They are simply one more tool for my doctors and I to be able to use because we have established a history over time with them.

Thanks again for bringing up this subject.

AlaskaAngel
Old 03-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #11
Rozebud

Alaska - I am impressed that your onc is ordering them for you being stage 1. I'm stage III and have to fight tooth and nail to get them done...
Old 03-31-2005, 06:26 AM   #12
*_Irene from Tampa_*

Hi Alaska Angel -

Thank you for your comments. I try to be very careful when offering my opinion (which sometimes can be misunderstood when not discussed face to face)

You sound like you have your situation under control (the key word, under control) Hang in there and stay a strong advocate of your own care.

Irene