HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
*_Janet M_*

Hi Everyone
I just have a quick question if someone can help me. For the last week or so i have felt very slightly short of breath. It feels as though every now and then i have to take a big deep breath to feel right. Then when i do take the breath i have a bit of pain sort of in the middle of my chest near my sternum. Also by the end of the day i feel as though my chest is sore down near the base of my ribs as though my clothes around my chest have been too tight (which they aren't) I rang the oncology nurse - someone i have known for about 15 years and he said he didn't think it sounded like anything to worry about but that i should have a chest x-ray in a week if i still didn't feel right. Has anyone had any symptoms like this Should i be worried. I would appreciate some of your thoughts and suggestions.
Janet M
Old 08-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
judiek

Janet,

Your describing what I had this spring. I felt that my breathing was a bit labored. My ct scan showed plueral effusion around the right lung (fluid). My scan last month showed it was almost gone. I have heard that sometimes different chemos can cause it or that it could be cancer cells. I'm sorry, I don't know your history...I do hope is goes away

warmly,

judiek
Old 08-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Bonnie T

Janet
I had the same symptoms last fall, for about 3 months, I had all kinds of tests done, even got an inhaler ( I have seasonal allergies, usually spring /summer) which helped with the breathing. I had to get an extender for my bra so I could wear it loose. Then it just went away.
Have you had radiation to your chest recently, I guess this can be a side effect from that ??
Keep us posted and God Bless
Bonnie T
Old 08-19-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
Fontaine

What you've described sounds a lot like a condition called costochondritis. It's an inflammation of the cartilege between the ribs and the sternum and can radiate, causing similar sensations to the ones you've described. (It can also radiate to the back and feel like you've been shot with a shotgun!)

Often if you press on your chest between your sternum and ribs and it hurts like the devil, good chance that's what it is.

It's usually temporary and can be caused by medication. I've never heard of chemo kicking it up, but it seems very possible given how chemo can affect connective tissue--as so many people report.

Antiinflammatories like Advil seem like something to try. If that doesn't ameliorate the pain, talk to your doc. But if you do, mention costcochondritis as a possibility. It's another of those things they won't necessarily think about uless you bring it up as a possibility.

But even if that's it, it's temporary, although it can also be chronic. But if it's chemo-related, it should go away at some point after chemo ends. It's annoying but bearable.