HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Lani

Thumbs up Ding-Dong! the anthracyclines are dead! SABCS presentation by Dr Slamon shows anthra-

cyclines like doxyrubicin, epirubicin add toxicity (cardiac damage, leukemia, etc) to adjuvant treatment without adding any incremental benefit to a taxane+ carboplatin+herceptin regimen for her2+ breast cancer patients

REPRINT: Study Identifies Highly Effective Treatment Option for Patients With HER2-positive Breast Cancer
[American Association for Cancer Research]
SAN ANTONIO — Combining the chemotherapy drugs docetaxel and carboplatin with the HER2-targeted therapy trastuzumab was identified to be an ideal postsurgery treatment option for patients with HER2-positive breast cancer, regardless of tumor size and whether or not disease has spread to the lymph nodes, according to results from the BETH study presented here at the 2013 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, held Dec. 10-14.

"Worldwide, anthracyclines such as doxorubicin [Adriamycin] and epirubicin have dominated breast cancer treatment for decades because of a perceived incremental benefit of 3 to 5 percent in disease-free survival and overall survival that was observed in meta-analysis overview studies that viewed breast cancer as a single disease," said Dennis J. Slamon, M.D., Ph.D., director of clinical/translational research at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, and professor of medicine and chief of the Division of Hematology/Oncology at the UCLA Department of Medicine. "It turns out that anthracyclines were particularly active in the treatment of HER2-positive disease once we applied molecular subtype analyses to breast cancers. These data were derived from treatments used before the development of trastuzumab. In HER2-positive breast cancers, anthracyclines improved outcomes dramatically while adding little or no incremental benefit to the other subtypes that represent 75 to 80 percent of the disease. Unfortunately, the long-term side effects of anthracyclines in all groups include congestive heart failure and leukemia. We and others have previously shown that adding trastuzumab to anthracycline-based therapy in adjuvant disease increases this cardiac toxicity between three- to fivefold.

"Our new results, which surpassed our expectations, show that it really is not necessary to include an anthracycline as part of the treatment regimen to obtain really ideal results for patients with HER2-positive breast cancer, even if they have a large tumor or have node-positive disease," added Slamon, who is also a leader of a Stand Up To Cancer Dream Team. "The importance of the results lies in the fact that the TCH [docetaxel, carboplatin, and trastuzumab] combination has a much better safety profile than anthracycline and trastuzumab combinations and is now equally effective."
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
StephN

Re: Ding-Dong! the anthracyclines are dead! SABCS presentation by Dr Slamon shows ant

Everything was pointing to this outcome!!!

"Our new results, which surpassed our expectations, show that it really is not necessary to include an anthracycline as part of the treatment regimen to obtain really ideal results for patients with HER2-positive breast cancer, even if they have a large tumor or have node-positive disease," added Slamon,

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 01-04-2014 at 11:54 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
norkdo

Re: Ding-Dong! the anthracyclines are dead! SABCS presentation by Dr Slamon shows ant

Hooooooly Crap!!!!!!
Blowing my mind here.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
JillaryJill

My onc was way ahead of the curve. 3 years ago she told me this. I probably asked her the Anthracycline question 20 different times, 20 different ways, she insisted on TCH being equally effective.
ER- PR- Her2+++, grade 3, 12 positive nodes out of 15
Stage IIIc
Started TCH/Chemo December 31, 2010
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year
33 rounds of TomoTube radiation, to chest wall, neck, skin and lymph area
September, 2011, MRI to lower spine, hips, DX bulging disk, L4 & L5, pain not from cancer
Expanders removed, implants in Dec 1, 2011
Finished Herceptin, December 21, 2011
August 2012, CT of chest and abdomen, all ok
Enrolled in MC1136 Phase I Peptide Vaccine Trial at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
March 2013, First Vaccine
April 2013, 2nd Vaccine
May 2013, 3rd Vaccine
June 2013, 4th Vaccine
July 2013, 5th Vaccine
August 2013, 6th Vaccine Done!
September 2013, Mayo visit, Echo results 68, vaccine did not effect my heart! Blood work normal.
January 31, 2013, Mayo visit, Echo normal
February 23, 2014, Numb lips on right side, Brain MRI, normal!
June, 2015, Finished the trial at Mayo Clinic. Feels good!
JillaryJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Bellaokc

Oh wow! I almost can't believe that!

June 7, 2013: Age 43, mother of 2, had just celebrated 16th wedding anniversary June 6th
Dx Invasive Ductal Carcinoma:
ER-, PR-, HER2+++,
Stage IIb, 5 cm. tumor, grade 3
Benign lymph nodes.
June 26, 2013: Begin 4 Rounds of AC
Sept 19, 2013: Begin 12 weekly treatments of Taxol/Herceptin
Oct 22, 2013: Skipped a treatment because of a trip to the ER. Turned out to be a blood clot in the inferior vena cava….Started Coumadin (aka Warfarin)
Dec 12, 2013: Last treatment of TH
Dec 20, 2013: CAT scan and nuclear bone scans show NED. Yay! Chemo worked!
Jan 24, 2014: Bilateral mx w/expanders inserted; 10 Lymph Nodes removed on left side;Pathology report shows no trace of tumor was left after the chemo. More proof that the chemo worked!
Jan 30, 2014: Emergency surgery due to hematoma on the right side. Had a filter inserted to deal with blood clot that had developed in October.
Feb 2014: Begin Herceptin only treatments
Aug 29, 2014 Expanders OUT and implants IN
Sept 4, 2014 Last Herceptin treatment YAY!!
Oct 8, 2014 Port Removed
Dec 5, 2014 Nipple Reconstruction

Current Meds: Daily - 150 mg Effexor; 50 mg Tramadol for aches and pains caused by treatments
Occasional - 30mg Temazepam (Restoril) for insomnia ; 300mg Neurontin for nerve pain in left arm; 1 mg Lorazepam (Ativan) for anxiety;
Bellaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
suzan w

I had to go the adriamyacin/cytoxin route in order to get herceptin in 2005. The long term effects were discussed, yet, for me, stage 1...no herceptin without A/C...Glad to have had the herceptin!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
AlaskaAngel

And then there is me, a stage 1 HR+ HER2 positive possible "late" recurrer, who had CAF but no taxane and no trastuzumab.

It would be so helpful to know from documented study just "how much" it helps to exercise, and maintain proper weight, and take vitamin D, and take metformin (which deals with the stem cells that taxanes and doxorubicin do not), in comparison to all the chemo they continue to hang onto using.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
'lizbeth

I'm with you Alaska Angel!

The problem with early stage breast cancer is that 3 women of 10 benefit from chemo in the current system with NCCN guidelines.

The other 7, who 6 would likely benefit more from avoiding chemo are not being identified with the current system of care.

We all would benefit from more exercise, healthier diets with more organic veggies and less saturated fats, adequate Vitamin D, and some of us with metformin.

How many of us have even been tested for Vitamin D levels and then subsequently monitored?

The are many false premises in cancer treatment that both the industry and patients hold onto - there is "finding a cure" and there is finding an "acceptable cure".
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
suzan w

I am curious as to the statistics (yea, I know...numbers schumbers) for incidents of leukemia as a result of chemo...or perhaps it might be as a result of herceptin...it is still such a guessing game. I do know that maintaining a healthy lifestyle is critical. And, yes, at my last regular dr appointment, I had my vitamin D level tested and it is OK!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 AM   #10
AlaskaAngel

Hi Suzanw,

You and I are in the same boat about that. The problem there is that because the number of patients exposed to doxycycline when doxycycline expanded to adjuvant use for those with much earlier stage I patients is still considered so recent that they don't yet have all the information to predict the increased incidence of leukemia due to exposure to doxycycline.

My understanding is that leukemia occurrence is usually late (as in decades later), so the "crowd" of us stage I's who were exposed to it still haven't reached that point in time.

If there are long-term problems with the increased usage of the taxanes (and I don't know that there are), the experience with them is even newer so it could take longer to find out what they might be.
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
NED

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 01-06-2014 at 04:05 AM..
Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
norkdo

so the anthra drugs i got might kill me from congestive heart failure. nice. we've cured the disease but killed the patient.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
AlaskaAngel

I agree that based on the ongoing dependence on chemotherapy, it is progress to have some comparison of the various chemotherapies.

But the mindset is still far from being focused on the BEST possible treatments for early stage HER2 positive breast cancer patients.

"Our new results, which surpassed our expectations, show that it really is not necessary to include an anthracycline as part of the treatment regimen to obtain really ideal results for patients with HER2-positive breast cancer, even if they have a large tumor or have node-positive disease," added Slamon
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
NED
Old 01-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
'lizbeth

Yeah SuzanW! You got your vitamin D tested!

The leukemia risk is why I skipped the anthracycline and went with the taxane.

We are certainly all pioneers in these treatments - and new ones now with Herceptin, Tykerb, Perjeta, Kadcyla, etc It will take decades for everything to settle out. By then we will have even more new treatments. It's a roll of the dice . . . we make the best decisions based on the information available at the time.

May we all be blessed with good health.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #14
tricia keegan

I think the Dr's gave us what what they felt was right at the time, I was dx in 2005 and had A/c but thankful it gave me so many years of NED and if it leads to issue's in the future so be it it, we can only go with what we know at the time and I'm grateful for the treatments and time I've had.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
AlaskaAngel

At the time I was treated, my onc followed the path of the majority of oncs at the time in 2002 and did not tell me anything about the trials for the use of trastuzumab, even though the trastuzumab trials had accumulated enough data to be quite indicative of success. I would only have been eligible for one of those trials under the criteria, BUT I had specifically asked to participate in any such trials that were available. Although it turned out that I remain NED despite never having had trastuzumab, it could well have made a crucial difference for me.

I'm sure my onc considered his care to be conscientious, professional, and caring at the time.

What continues to be a mystery to me is the ethical dilemma of how it will ever be possible to transition to regimens that do not include chemotherapy with a researcher physician mindset that openly states that the continuing practice of including chemotherapy is part of an "ideal" regimen for all HER2 patients, despite the knowledge that the vast majority who are receiving chemotherapy get ZERO benefit from it.
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
NED
Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
StephN

Hello everyone -
The two instances I know where leukemia developed in members of this group, it happened very early on. So I don't have direct experience of anyone with a late onset.
One had the normal (standard of care) treatment and perhaps a year later was showing symptoms.
The second member was stage IV and treated for a few years when her leukemia developed.
They both went through stem cell transplants - one in Buffalo and one in Seattle - but eventually passed away from various other health issues.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #17
Jean

OMGoodness, Dr. Salmon told me this when I saw him in 2006....shame that he had to endure years more of having dr. use A/C when he was aware so early in the trials.

As our Brenda would say....
" crap on a crap stick. "
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
Mtngrl

This is great news for people diagnosed in the future.

I didn't have any anthracylines. Small blessing.

I just read a study that showed that in stage IV, people who got Herceptin and a taxane had a median overall survival of 40+ months--almost double the time for all metastatic bc diagnoses lumped together. I recall another study in the last year or so that said Taxol seems to help train the immune system to handle the cancer. Taxanes stopped the cancer in my liver after only 12 doses. Speaking anecdotally, I can't really jump on the chemo-skeptic bandwagon with my history.

I know it might be (probably is) different for early stage disease. I hope they do get past "slash, burn and poison" for you guys.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
Adriana Mangus

Glad to hear that, at least the new comers won't have to go through these unnecessary chemo treatment.

About time.
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #20
Becky

I also thought leukemia occured early. It did in two personal people I know and then there's the TV personality, Robin Roberts, of which it also happened early.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote