HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2006, 03:53 AM   #1
rinaina

second week post second treatment side effects

I had my second treatment with A/C two weeks ago and just like after my first treatment at the two week post treatment mark I am loaded with side effects. My onc nurse tells me this is when I would feel my worst because this is when my white count would be the lowest. I have a low grade fever of no higher than 100.4, a raised red rash only on my upper chest area, conjunctivitis in one eye so far, a burning tongue and throat, extreme fatigue and sleeping a lot more during the day and still sleeping at night. Has anyone else had these symptoms at the post treatment 2 week mark? I have a rinse for my tongue and throat to make eating easier and an antibiotic ointment for the conjunctivitis and tylenol for fever. This is the worst I have felt. Every move is such an effort and until now I have been very active. I have had to miss many outings this week from baseball games, to a fund raiser in memoriam to a friend who died from breast cancer and the list goes on. I know this will pass just in time for my 3rd treatment next Thursday and I am trying to tough it out and remain my old positive self because I know this is just temporary but it is discouraging when you aren't feeling well. Then again, I remind myself of so many on this forum with far worse problems facing them so I will take this gladly. Thanks for listening and sorry for complaining.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
tousled1

I too had bad side effects while getting my A/C. My blood counts dropped so low that I was actually told to wear a mask. I received Procrit shots every week and Neulasta shots the day after chemo. I was exhausted all the time. Just when I would begin to get a little energy back - BAM - it was time for my next treatment. All I can say is hang in there the side effects are worth the treatment. I'm assuming you only have 4 A/C treatments scheduled, so you are already half way done!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Unregistered

A/C and I definitely did not get along. I had a rash on my hands that surprised my oncologist. It went quickly once I finished the drug. With your blood counts so low, please try to avoid going where you could pick up an infection. I also became anemic, with low red blood cells counts. Try to eat lots of iron-rich food. I even got liver from the health food store. Do everything you like. I was always a little embarrassed because I enjoy tabloids, but I read them all when I was getting A/C. I also borrowed funny videos from the library -- Are You Being Served was a favorite. If you need a sleeping pill or an anti anxiety drug, take it. I think you really need to baby yourself through this one. For me, once I stopped the drug I began to feel better in a few weeks. It does end. All the very best. MJo
Old 06-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
penelope

Oh man Rinaina, I am so sorry. But think of it this way...you are half way through. Not much consolation but something anyway. My third treatment was the hardest for me so I almost didn't do the fourth. Dragged myself there and it turned out that it was not near as bad as the one before. Hopefully this will be the case for you. Talk to your onc about your symptoms and hopefully they can change some of your drugs around to help you out. Thinking of you.

penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
rinaina

thank you for your replys and support. i know you are right that this will all be worth it if it keeps the cancer away. did any of you have the conjunctivitis and the burning tongue and throat? i just put a call into my onc nurse about the prescription eye drops they gave me because it is making my vision so blurry all the time that I can't see a thing with or without reading glasses and i have never had this happen to me before with any eye drops. they gave me an antibiotic drop and in the past when i have had conjunctivitis due to my Sjogren's Syndrome and the dry eyes, i was always given a steroid drop. this concerns me so i hope to hear from them soon.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 06-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Cathya

Rinainia;

I had many symptoms during chemo....dry eye drove me crazy. However, I knew being 3c that the odds were that I might have to do this crazy business all over again so.....I totally forgot all about it!!! Can you believe it...it is just a brief little memory to me. I was determined that should I need to go through it again I needed to be able to get my mind around it and do it. I couldn't feel negative about it....so I don't. My mother went through chemo 14 years ago before all the drugs....she is now 85 and told me she could never do it again....this way years ago. So...kiddo....did I have symptoms....did it bother me....well...lol...perhaps. But....to live I will do it all again...and again. You will survive and you are doing this to survive. God bless.

Cathy
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Ginagce

Cool

Bi-weekly neulasta shots at home and B12 shots here and there kept me going....more or less.

Good luck to you and hang in there...this too shall pass.
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
MJo

A/c

Rinaina - was it you commented that you understood you could only get A/C once. There is a lifetime dose. My onc told me I didn't receive my lifetime dose. I don't ever want cancer back. But I could probably receive more A/C if I ever need it. (which will be NEVER!!)
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
rinaina

mjo, i didn't say that you could only get a/c once, not sure who mentioned that. but if i had to do this all over again to save my life, you bet i would in a heartbeat. no matter what the side effects are, my longevity is what matters to me so if i have to be hit with side effects in order to survive, so be it. i am tougher then this challenge and i will win out. So you are all right, Ginagce and Cathya when you say it is worth it and this shall pass. I choose to live so on with the treatments and I know I can with stand these annoying and uncomfortable side effects. Anything temporary is tolerable. thank you to everyone for your support and understanding.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 06-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
tousled1

It's the Adrimyacin that you can not get again due to the damage it can do to your heart. You can still get the Cytoxan.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote