HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
Donna

Smile What makes you feel good? Let's Share tips!

Hi Amazing Gentlepeople,

I have been thinking for more than a week now after I read all the side effect posts that made me really depressed that maybe we should share things that make us feel good and helps lessen these side effects.

for instance:
For the terrible dry skin effect: I slather on Burt's Bees Apricot Baby Oil before drying my skin after my shower

for the "crusty nose at night syndrome" I coat the inside of my nose with a saline gel called Ayr and I don't wake up with the "crusties" that way

for the terrible dry lips I slather my lips at night with either Smith's Rosebud Salve or a really creamy vanilla lip blam

for the lackluster skin, try adding to your regular face foundation makeup 1/3 portion of one with "gold dust" in it - people say my skin has never looked better (go figure) I use the one by Georgio Armani but it's really pricey, there are others out there

for my newly sensitive mouth that can't tolerate my favorite peppermint toothpaste: I switched to Doct Burt's children's Orange Cream toothpaste and also Tom's of Maine Natural Apricot toothpaste

for my extra dry skin (now) night time moisturizer: Neutragena Lift Serum feels so good going on!

to prevent cracked cuticles (infection spots) Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle cream

So, what do you do to make yourself feel better...what works for you? I would love to hear your tips on this!

Best to You All and Much Love,

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
Christine MH-UK

Smile For my 'herceptin brain'

Great idea for a thread!

I have found the tips in David Allen's Getting Things Done invaluable. He's an American efficiency expert, but his book is available over here in the UK. Herceptin brain may seem like a minor problem, but it was really driving me around the bend. The beauty in his system is that it relies on not keeping anything in your brain, so it is ideally suited to us chemo brain and herceptin brain sufferers.

The newspaper had a thing in it today about managing e-mails, based largely on his ideas, which might be very useful to people who are struggling with work and herceptin, or, even worse, work and chemo: http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...920519,00.html

Take care,

Christine
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
Sandy H

This a great idea. I find that I usually learn something from postings such as these. I do lots of skin care, as well as nutrition. First of all I drink lots of water (up to a gallon a day) makes for a nice silky skin and makes me feel great. I shower/shampoo every third day helps my skin to keep some of its natural oils. I use skin care from Arbonne, not only is it almost chemical free but it is odorless, and very reasonable to purchase. I love their makeup. They also have shampoo, conditioner, and soap for bathing. I like to order as many products from one place as I can-saves time and energy. I use to use Burt's Bees products but many of them have castor oil in them I try to stay away from any oil or petroleum products. It is amazing how many so called natural products do have petroleum in them. I am not talking about essential oils and there are others that are safe. There is a site that one can go and it will tell you the chemicals in each brand product. Very interesting to read. I have not been on it for a while so would have to research it again. I believe I still have it in my favorites. If anyone is interested I will be happy to get it for you. I also use seventh generation detergents and cleaning products. Most of the time I use Orange TKO (I send away for it) for all cleaning as it is all natural made from orange. I have allergies and can not use anything with artifical fragrance. I cook in stainless steel cookware nothing that is coated with any kind of coating (there are many out there). I do not use plastic in the microwave and try not to store foods in plastic containers in the frig. So much to think about here-toxins in just about everything today. One can not get away from it all but do my best to help myself. I also do not use package mixes for myself-my husband thinks they are great but for me everything comes from scratch! Very little meat, dairy, and no white breads or flour. I hope I did not open up a can of worms here but this is how I try to help myself. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
R.B.

If you have not looked at long chain omega threes, DHA, found in fish oil you might like to.

I have previously posted the question does Herceptin block the pathways that allow the body to make long chain fats. There is some suggestion in trials that it does intervene in the general are. How and the outcome I do not know, and when I looked could not find out from the searches I made.

Many of the symptoms dry skin hair etc are those that are reported in those with long chain omega three deficiency. See Smart Fats A Schmidt ( can be found on net for a few dollars).

A connection? - I do not know, but if you have not looked at the issues of omega three and six you might like to. You can search by clicking on search above and entering your search term.

Several trials suggest that those with higher levels of omega three have a lower breast cancer risk profile.

Please talk to your doctor about significant dietary change. Fats are more powerful than is generally realised.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Vanessa

I like this post. Right now for dry mouth, I use Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. It seems to help a great deal. On my face at night and in the morning I use a skin cream called Skin Renu. I get it at my general doctor's office, but it is also sold on the internet. At night I put baby oil on my hands and then put on cotton gloves. My hands feel really soft the next day. I also sometimes open a Vitamin E capsule and put it on my face at night.

I take Eskimo Oil and Flaxseed Oil for the omegas. I also eat cottage cheese with the flaxseed oil. I also take CoQ10 and lots of tumeric. My oncologist is definately in favor of taking turmeric.

I will post other ideas as I think of them. I look forward to hearing other people's ideas. I will try the product called Ayr for my nose.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Vanessa

I tried the Ayr saline nose gel and it works good. My nose feels so much better in the mornings.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
bobbiw

When I started chemo (am no longer doing chemo...only Herceptin and Tamoxifen) my dentist suggested ACT mouthwash, the one without alcohol in it to keep my teeth from decaying. It helped lots and I still use it.

I drink a lot of water to help moisturize my skin. Wish I knew what to do with my very soft nails that bend back on a whim.

I too like Burt's Bees products and thanks for the tip on Arbone products. It is not easy to find products that are not loaded with soy based stuff.

I spend tons of time in the woods taking pictures with my digital camera for my mental health.

Good thread thanks for starting it.

Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
rinaina

Is the fish oil you buy at Walgreens good enough?
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Donna

more good things.......

Hi All,

Thought of a couple more things that work well: trying to preserve my eyelashes from Taxol as long as possible, so I'm using Bobbi Brown eye makeup remover. Also, Bobbi Brown skin toner after facial cleansing really works and is very gentle and natural.

Another thing that has been great is to get a massage on days when I start to feel good after chemo - it just seems to boost the "feel good" part faster.

Health to you all,

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
RobinP

To moisturize my skin, I use lubriderm, it does wonders.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:52 AM   #11
sarah

Reading. It takes me away. I LOVE reading. and being with animals and my friends and taking walks.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote