HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
Patty H

no tykerb for me

I knew that the paper work had said if there was clinical trial in your area you wouldn't qualify. My Dr. told me yesterday that he had talked to them and there was a trial starting up the end of this month in our area. If I wanted in he would get me in. But he said they probably wouldn't get the tykerb for a month or two from then. He really didn't recomend I wait that much longer for treatment and my husband and I agreed. My scans the first of June had shown quite a bit of growth and we needed to get started now. So yesterday I started on abraxance and herceptin and my zometa. I was really overwhelmed. This is the nineth time I have had chemo so it is not new to me but I really whimmped out yesterday. LOL They gave me something for nausia and even steriods which I though I wasn't going to have to have. By the time they started the herceptin I was already nausia and I hadn't even had the chemo yet. I know it was just nerves. They then game me some ativan in my IV and I slept through the rest of the treatment. This was the first time I ever whimmped out like that. But I am better today and ready to put my gloves on and get back in the fight. Even though this break I have had off chemo was great, it sure made it hard to start back up again.
Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
madubois63

Some days are just worse than others. You didn't whimp out, you got through it!! Keep taking the nausea meds for a few days even if you don't feel like you need it! Hope your feeling okay!!!
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Thumbs up It will get better

Patty -

I know what you mean about the whimpping out part but Mary Ann is right, you made it through.

I have also been on tons of different chemos and when I started on the Abraxane, I was concerned about it's affects.

I want to tell you that Abraxane was a very easy drug to take.. Very tolerable and I did well on it. I am sure that all that happened was from your nerves as you stated.

I am sure that the next time will go much better for you .

Good luck Patty
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Barbara H.

Upset

Hi Patty,
You have a right to be upset. Herceptin by itself worked for me for 1 1/2 years before my tumor markers started to rise. It cleared everything out of my liver, lungs, nodes, and skin. Two years ago, it wasn't detected in my bones, but now it is there. I knew I would have to add Chemo and am now on Navelbine and Zometa. What upset me, is there is no end in sight for how long I have to be on it. I am on it until I start to progress, or the neuropathy becomes unbearable. This combination is tolerable, but it still wears me down and I feel achy a number of days. I teach 3rd grade, which I do not want to give up, and I need energy for that.

I certainly am not as far down the road with all the chemos yet, but I can certainly relate to how upset you are. This continuous chemo can get you down.

I would not feel too badly about not getting Tykerb yet, as long as there are drugs you can take. Although Tykerb shows promise, it will not be "the" drug for everyone, and it should be available soon for those who need it. Also, by the time you will get it, they will know more about which combinations work the best, and you can select the combination you want.

Thinking of you and good luck with your treatment!!!
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
karenann

Patty,

You are not a whimp. Stay strong and keep up the fight.

Hugs,
Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
sarah

dear Patty,
9th time having chemo - you're definitely NOT a wimp. I admire your strength. sounds like an anxiety attack which is only normal and which passes - they don't last more than 20 minutes although sometimes that seems like an eternity. I thought that I was mentally strong enough to go through chemo without a problem - my onc said to me after 4 months of weekly injections that I should take a rest! no said I, I want to get through this. well the very next week when they brought in the chemo I freaked!!! I said I can't do this! but 20 minutes later it passed and I went through it as usual. Get something for the anxiety and as you well know different chemos effect people differently. Stay strong and positive - you are obviously a fighter. you will win this fight.
you're not alone
sarah

Last edited by sarah; 08-12-2006 at 12:14 PM..
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote