HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
Patty H

chemo and heartburn

This is my 9th time on chemo and you would think I would be a little more familiar with this. But this is the first chemo to do this to me. I'm on abraxane and I have pain all the way down my esophagas to my stomach. My nurse told me to take a prilocec every morning. Ny husband keeps saying the chemo has eaten away the linning of my stomach. If that is so will the prilocec do me any good since it really isn't the acid doing it? Are any of the rest of you on something for your stomach? If so what and does it help? Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Patty

I had lots of heartburn with chemo and did'nt really ask for anything but when it continued after chemo I had an endoscopy done which revealed a Hiatus Hernia apparently caused by the chemo or anti nausea meds.I take one Nexium pill a day before breakfast and it mainly keeps the pain away but have heard other people who took this during chemo as a preventative measure.I think the Prilosec is similar but not sure.if need be ask your Dr for something else and don't suffer in silence as I did.
Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Cindee

I had heartburn so bad after the first treatment that they thought that I was having a heartattack but after I started nexium it went away. I quit taking nexium about a month after my last chemo treatment but still had problems so I went back on the nexium. I tried zantac 150 over the counter and it helped but nexium works best. I cannot eat a lot of things that I used to because of this.

Cindee
Cindee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Vanessa

In addition to taking Nexium, my doctor also prescribed carafate(sp?). It is a pink liquid and it coats the stomach. The nurse also told me to swish before I swallow and it would help soothe the mouth sores.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
koolbreeze

Patty, I had major heartburn with my chemo. I took a prilosec every day and it helped. Hope you get some relief. Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #6
MJo

Not heartburn exactly, but acid reflux with taxol and now with Herceptin. I take prilosec when I need it. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote