HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Lani

Lightbulb PREVENTION OF HER2+ breast cancer may lie in n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids

J Lipid Res. 2013 Sep 19. [Epub ahead of print]
Inhibition of the HER2 pathway by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids prevents breast cancer in fat-1 transgenic mice.
Zou Z, Bellenger S, Massey KA, Nicolaou A, Geissler A, Bidu C, Bonnotte B, Pierre AS, Minville-Walz M, Rialland M, Seubert J, Kang JX, Lagrost L, Narce M, Bellenger J.
Source
Universite de Bourgogne, France;
Abstract
Overexpression of the tyrosine kinase receptor ErbB2/HER2/Neu, occurs in 25% to 30% of invasive breast cancer (BC) with poor patient prognosis. Due to confounding factors, inconsistencies still remain regarding protective effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) on BC. We therefore evaluated whether fat-1 transgenic mice, endogenously synthesizing n-3 PUFA from n-6 PUFA, were protected against BC development and we then aimed to study in vivo a mechanism potentially involved in such protection. E0771 BC cells were implanted into fat-1 and wild-type (WT) mice. After tumorigenesis examination, we analyzed the expression of proteins involved in HER2 signaling pathway and lipidomic analyses were performed in tumor tissues and plasma. Our results showed that tumors totally disappeared by day 15 in fat-1 mice when they continued to grow up in the WT. This prevention can be related in part to significant repression of the HER2/beta-catenin signaling pathway and formation of significant levels of n-3 PUFAs derived bioactive mediators (particularly 15-HEPE, 17-HDHA and PGE3) in the tumor of fat-1 mice compared to WT. All together these data demonstrate an anti-BC effect of n-3 PUFAs through, at least in part, HER2 signaling pathway downregulation, and highlight the importance of gene-diet interactions in BC.
KEYWORDS:
Breast cancer, Cancer, Eicosanoids, HER2 signaling pathway, Mammary gland, Omega-3 fatty acids, PUFA-derived mediators, Prostaglandins, fat-1 mice, n-3 PUFA

PMID: 24052576
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
sarah

Re: PREVENTION OF HER2+ breast cancer may lie in n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids

Hello,
what does this mean?
thanks
sarah
Old 09-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Lani

Re: PREVENTION OF HER2+ breast cancer may lie in n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids

In a very artificial construct, implanting tumor cells into mice specially bred to transform the n6 fatty acids they were consuming in their diets into n3 fatty acids, the tumors they were able to grow prior to starting that diet totally disappeared.

When looking for what was responsible for the phenomenon they not only implicated the down regulation of her2 signalling by n3 fatty acids, but, confusingly to me, among other things, the upregulation of PGE3, a prostaglandin. As prostaglandins usually have the opposite effect, I will need to get the original article and read it piecemeal in order to understand this more fully.

Hope this helps!

PS humans cannot perform the same trick as these genetically altered mice, ie transforming the "bad"pufas to "good" pufas, as I understand it
Old 09-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Lani

from the article:
These mice carry the fat-1 gene from the roundworm Caenorhabditis elegans, encoding a n-3 PUFA desaturase, absent in mammals, that catalyzes conversion of n-6 into n-3 PUFA (22). Therefore, these mice have endogenously elevated n-3 PUFA tissue content and exhibit lower n-6/n-3 PUFA ratio compared to their wild-type (WT) littermates when maintained on a high n-6 PUFA diet. This contrasts feeding procedures using fish oil supplementation, which may bring confounding factors attributed in differences in the dietary composition. Hence, the fat-1 transgenic mouse model is a useful in vivo system for giving new insights of the role of n-6/n-3 fatty acid ratio in BC tumorigenesis.
When PGE2 has been shown to promote cancer development (51, 52) PGE3 has been found to have anticancer effects (53). Our results suggest that PGE3 and 17-HDHA might be anticancer metabolites, and these generated metabolites from EPA and DHA respectively may underlie the antitumor effect observed in the fat-1 transgenic mice. However, the concentration of PGE3 in the tumors of the fat-1 animals did not reach that of PGE2 suggesting that there is a role for AA-derived lipid mediators that cannot be totally replaced by EPA-derived lipid metabolites, EPA competing with AA acid as substrate for metabolite production. Interestingly, our in vitro experiments showed that addition of
17-HDHA downregulated HER2 and HER3 protein expression. Moreover, c-Myc expression was dramatically decreased by PGE2, PGE3 and 17-HDHA exposure.
These results suggest that PGE3 and 17-HDHA are anticancer mediators, and generation of PGE3 and 17-HDHA from n-3 PUFA may underlie the antitumor effect observed in fat-1 transgenic mice.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Becky

Its RB and Omega 3/fish oil! Thanks Lani

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #6
Ellie F

Thanks folk for the explanation. I read it several times and thought it was about the protective factors of omega 3. Not sure if it directly correlates to humans.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
StephN

Lani -
Thank you for the summaries.
I am trying to see the use of this knowledge in either staving off the onset of HER2 BC where there is a known risk, as well as aiding those who have progression of the disease knock it back.

Maybe that is too big a 'bite" at this point and I am getting ahead of things. But, I DID make changes in the ratios of my Omegas. Had never taken anything like fish oil till after stage IV although I did eat a good amount of wild caught. Also exchanged the vegetable oils for VERY high quality olive oil for the most part.

We now know that a person can lack some important element in processing many kinds of foods. Actually a lot is known about the breaking down and use by our bodies of vitamins and various supplements.

Wonderful to see how many directions are showing at least a glimmer of promise in understanding further our disease.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
europa

Becky...what's RB?
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Becky

RB is a member here who is an Omega 3 and Vitamin D expert who posts these findings alot. If you search his posts, you will learn alot

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
R.B.

^ Thanks Becky - nerd may be a better description than expert (-: - I am not even sure what an expert is - the more I read the more I realise how complex the body is - several lifetimes and several networked brains would not be enough - and arguably many 'experts' for a host of often 'good' reasons are not as widely read as they might be, and there is a tendency for a host of reasons for people to want to be seen to support the status quo even if in their personal space they question the wisdom of it - historical science provides lots of examples - but happily things do change slowly - Do many now believe the sun whizzes round the earth !

And yes you got succinctly to the point of this trial - simplistically these mice make their own fish / krill oil. - and they did not have much Omega 6 in their diet, part of which they turned into Omega 3s

For a bit more detail please see the Greek Diet Omega 3 and 6 thread

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...=24410&page=21 26th September

Last edited by R.B.; 10-04-2013 at 03:46 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote