HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
Lolly

I live in Oregon and was able to get insurance through the high risk pool, Oregon Medical Insurance Pool. It's managed by Reagence Blue Cross Blue Shield. If you've been turned down by an insurance company because of a medical condition, you're guaranteed acceptance by the risk pool. As Sherry points out, if you have a pre-existing condition there's a six month waiting period, so if you have insurance already in place and want to avoid being "naked" during that time frame you would need to pay both premiums until the risk pool insurance took effect. It IS somewhat limited, at least here in Oregon; for example there's a 1 million$ cap on lifetime benefits paid, but I thank God for it every day as without it I don't know how we would have managed. Also, brace yourself, as the premiums are somewhat higher. Good Luck from me also!
hugs,
Lolly
Old 12-09-2003, 12:32 AM   #2
Sandy

Every state is different and all insurances have different plans. Let me know how you make out because, if we can be accepted on any plan the premiums are out rages. My husband is out on disability, and I thought I was going to loose my coverage and was talking about it in oncology and was told by the nurse you can not be refused treatment and there is money for BC patients with no insurance. Ask someone in the oncolgoy or social worker at the hospital to help you. I find them very helpful. I would get you some info but I think being in a different state it would be different however, let me know if you would like me to try for you. Good luck. Hugs, Sandy
Old 12-09-2003, 01:40 AM   #3
janelle

FYI: COBRA effects anyone who loses health care coverage for whatever reason (loss of job, divorce, etc). You should be eligible. The law requires the company that provides coverage (your hubby's employer) to notify you that you are eligible for COBRA, within 30 days of the loss of coverage. I would not wait, contact your current provider and get the info. The purpose of the COBRA law was designed to continue benefits after loss of coverage. You will have to pay 100% of the premium and they may charge you a small fee (something like 1, 2 or 4%), but at least you will have the coverage. Hope this helps,
Hugs,
Janelle
Old 12-09-2003, 05:05 AM   #4
Linda in Calif

Hi Everyone: I need some information about getting my own Health Ins. and don't know where to turn. I've been lucky because all of my surgery, chemo and radiation were covered under my (soon to be) ex-husband's insurance through his work. We had split up before my DX. He said he would be glad to postpone finalizing things until I was through with my treatment. Now I'm finished with treatment and seem stable and NED. He would like to get on with his life and I would, too, for that matter. But I don't know what to do about Health Ins. I am self employed and have no insurance benefits. Anytime I talk to an insurance rep. the minute they hear "node positive breast cancer" they say I can't get coverage. I haven't even been able to find an insurance company to give me a quote. Much less how much will it be. Do any of you have any ideas? I don't qualify for Medical but just make enough to squeeze by. Any info would be appriciated. Thanks, Linda
Old 12-09-2003, 05:12 AM   #5
sherry

you need to ask about getting COBRA insurance. Though I am not sure if this applies to divorce, it does apply to people who are worried about losing their health insurance when their job terminates. It might apply to divorce. In California, there is also something called the high risk pool. You can't be turned down if you are not eligible for other health insurance but the coverage is somewhat limited. Do you belong to any professional groups or organizations that might offer health insurance? You mentioned you were self employed. Any possibility of hiring someone then you could apply for small group insurance and can't be turned down. Whatever you do, don't lose your current health insurance because if you do when you ultimately get other insurance they can exclude preexisting conditions unless you have had continuous health insurance.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2003, 05:43 AM   #6
Carla

I think that COBRA has a definite time limit. possibly 18 months. Just wanted to throw that in.
Carla
Old 12-09-2003, 07:42 AM   #7
Linda in Calif

Hi Sherry: Do you know who I would contact about the high risk insurance here in Calif.? I know that I can COBRA for a limited time but I would like to get something in place that is permanent. Thanks again for the info. Linda