HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #41
PinkGirl

Smile Rat fur brown?

Well Brenda, you are the hair expert, so I guess it's rat fur brown.
Hope Tiptoe isn't reading this. Maybe I naturally have that colour of hair - my hair came back the same colour as it always has been.

Seriously, the chemo aged me big time. Some people don't recognize
me. Then they say..."oh, you look so good." I say, "that's because I'm
fat".

The chemo aged me (wrinkles), dried out my skin, put tons of weight on me,
wrecked my eyesight........maybe that's why people don't recognize me - it's the glasses not the 30 pounds

Amazing how interested everyone is in the "off topic" thread !

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #42
hutchibk

I really like my face moisturizer, and have used it since I started chemo. It actually seems to have reversed some of the finer lines and wrinkles. My cosmetic surgeon suggested it to me... Neutrogena Visibly Firm with active copper peptides. The one thing I can't really complain about with all of the chemo I have had is new wrinkles and dry aging skin. Or maybe I am just in denial...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 AM   #43
mts

Although I felt great, I got tired of people telling me I looked tired...

I know this may be extreme for many, but it worked for me. I went out and got a brow lift, fat injections in my lips and around the "smile" areas on the sides of my mouth. The procedure was so natural looking, that no one could tell. I'm 44, and I look like I am in my early forties...
I moisturize with Dr Denesse SPF Daily cream with a hint of tint to it and at night I use any over the counter serum... L'Oreal products are the spin-off company of Lancome...
Don't forget that if you are in menopause/chemopause (which happens so suddenly for many of us) your skin no longer gets the estrogen that kept it supple and resilient. SPF is likely more important than anything else... incremental sun exposure just going to and from your car on a daily basis really adds up. So at least get a good moisturizing SPF !

Once you find your routine, you will begin to see and feel a difference.

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #44
nitewind

It's so great that we can help each other out on matters like this. We're all going thru some pretty wicked stuff but we're still women! I appreciate all the advice and I've taken so many notes on this thread that I think I have plenty to make a start with. I really can't tell you how much all of your input has meant to me, I was beginning to feel so stupid for worrying about this and you've all made me realize that I'm not alone. Thank you again.
And P.S.
Let's keeping storming heaven with prayers for our Maryann.
Hugs
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #45
fauxgypsy

Susan,
The Look good,Feel better program is a great idea. They will provide you with makeup and tips on how to use it. They have a very good mix of makeup. I rarely use makeup but I got a really good mix in the kit they gave me. When you call them they will ask what your skin tone is and have a kit ready for you. I've been really lucky, except for the breakouts I get occasionally. Someone asked me the other day why I was wearing my hair so short, with the weather getting cold. I told her I was just happy to have hair. I finally started spiking it yesterday, it is growing in so funny, I don't know what to do with it. Still, it is warmer than no hair.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #46
Soccermom

Hey Ladies,
Just have to chime in here.. I was a counter manager for Elizabeth Arden when I was in treatment. Lucky me!! I had to try and sell cosmetics to women whilst barfing in the trashcan behind the counter (no, not really) but I was bald allover!! I became quite adept at penciling in those eyebrows and matching my makeup to my scarf (I refused to wear a wig). I did quite well as the local cancer center was just down the street and I got all the patients after their treatments (made the other counters *green* with envy...(not really) LOL
Seriously though...there is a great book called "Dont Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without me" by Paula Bagoun. Its a "tell all" book about cosmetics and the industry.
I hate to see my friends here spend money on stuff that is mostly hype and can be purchased reasonably!

Much love to you,Marcia

PS Elizabeth Ardens 8 hour cream (the original red gel) IS about the best healer,moisturizer in the WORLD!
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #47
Nina

Re: Completely off topic but can someone tell me

Just had my first TCH treatment today and one of my questions that I did not get answered was about peptide and retinol use. I have been using some anti-wrinkle products for several years and my skin is great. No one believes that I am 57 years old. I was afraid I would have to stop while on chemo, but this thread has convinced me that i can continue with my tried and true products without fear. Thank you all! Also, down the road, I will have to convince my hairdresser to try a non-amonia haircolor. That is all she uses, but there are some interesting hair colors out there that are more natural. We shall see. I did make her day when I let her cut my hair short for the first time in 20 years shortly before my first surgery. She was SO excited!!! I had been sporting just about the same haircut since high school. She cut it and thinned it and it was a blessing to have much less hair to take care of when I was recovering from ALND. I LOVE having all of you wonderful women as a resource for all of my questions.
Liver MRI (for other reason) on 2/12/10 clear - no mets
PET scan 3/5/10 - arm pit lymph nodes "lit up", no other areas of concern other than breast tumor
Lumpectomy 3/10 - tumor and all lymph nodes on left side removed
Pathology report results 3/19 show only 2 of 23 nodes removed were malignant, tumor margins were positive - additional surgery required
Second surgery 3/31/10
Pathology results 4/13/10- all margins clear
Stage 2a bc
Started TCH 4/30/10- finished 8/12/10 (2 more weeks of Herceptin to go)
9/2/10 - started Herceptin every three weeks
PET scan 9/18-10 - all well except shadowy area in lung
Started radiation 9/7/10 - finished 10/21/10
Aromasin started 11/1/10 (hate it!)
PET scan 12/13 area in lung is smaller - probably just inflamation
Aromasin stopped 1/14/11 due to side effects
Currently on AI holiday
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #48
Joe
Webmaster

Here in San Diego there are several Spas that hold open house for cancer patients once a month.

Here is a good Google Seach

I would check with your local support groups, Komen, and clinics to see if that is available in your area.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #49
Darlene Denise

Was going to add my 2 cents on skin care and I see Andi beat me to some of it. Secret weapon, SHISEDO! I have used it for about 15 years religiously and have added some and changed some products during chemo treatments. Often someone in the chemo room will lean over and say we all talk about how good your skin always looks! Even my 65 year old onc says, you don't look 50 even with all this poison I've been giving you the last couple of years. I tell him it's my secret Japanese formula, Shisedo and it costs about as much as chemo!!

First get your funds together, it's not cheap to buy the several products at one time. They really last a long time and are so worth it. Be sure to visit a counter only when the Shiesdo rep is available. It is a very prescriptive line and you need someone who really knows what you need. Don't let the Arden or Lancome lady come over and just ask what you want.

Get the facial brush. Best $20 bucks spent. I have had mine for years and it still looks and works like new. It works great with the Creamy cleansing foam (put a pea size in you palm, add a little H20, use the brush to whip it ito lot's of foam and circulate it all over your face with the brush.) The brush is extra soft and has little rubber nubs in the middle which increase circulation and the brush helps ex foliate. Plus this helps save on the amount of creamy cleansing foam you need. You will waste too much if you try it with a cloth or even your fingers.

You will find the products you need in the Bio Performance line and some in the Benefiance line. These are best for very dry skin. If you can swing it, the Future line is wonderful. One last tip, buy the expensive pack of facial cotton. It is made with silk and it holds your toner perfectly and doesn't soak it up like the cheap cotton pads so that more of it goes on your face. I sometimes peal them in half for two thin sheets to get more product on my face and stretch the silk/cotton pads. I works great with Benefiance Softener with oil. This one is good with really dry skin. I love their foundations. They all have treatments in them. I like the Sun Protection Very Waterproof Liquid SPF 43. I buy the dark shade and a light one in my skin tone I mix them through out the year for a perfect match.

Well, I'm not a hairdresser like Brenda, but my husband is and he has a salon, so thoughts on the hair thing. Be gentle with that little bit of hair. It will probably continue to change texture and growth pattern as it grows out, so you're never sure how you will be cutting a styling your hair. Odds are it will not look anything like before. Real short hair like yours as a light blond will look sparse and if you go with a properly toned light brown or dark blond it will look thicker. Plus darker color deposits more pigment into the hair making seem a little fuller. The depth from a darker tone will also look more shiny/healthy. Maybe have a few special effects highlights put around your face for that blond you are looking for. If it's real short, juts a few on the tips could be nice. Use a nice sulfate free shampoo like Hydrating Pureology.

Wish we could all get together and play skin care and beauty salon with each other. Of course, martinis and jamies would be a nice way to go!

Oh, yeah, looks like my newer treatment of Navelbine and Hercepin is working on my liver! You guys might have to put up with a while longer now!!

Sending well wishes for smooth skin, great hairs, and good days...Darlene
05/12/08 HERCEPTIN EVERY 3 WKS
08/22/08 BRAIN METS! 8 <5MM
09/17/08 CYBERKNIFED BRAIN METS
10/20/08 BRAIN METS SHRINKING
12/29/08 BRAIN SCAN SHOWS 1 LESION GONE, 7 SHRINKING & STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT
01/16/09 LIVER REOCUR-XELODA/HERCEPTIN
03/02/09 BRAIN SCAN 2 LESIONS GONE, 5 STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT STILL A ?
3/27/09 REGRESSION OF 2 LIVER LESIONS XELODA & HERCEPTIN
06/08/09 STUPID BRAIN HAS 3 LESIONS
06/29/09 CYBERKNIFE
07/01/09 LIVER REGRESSION NO NEW METS
07/07/09 TYKERB XELODA HERCEPTIN
11/11/09 GEMZAR/HERCEPTIN FOR LIVER PROGRESSION
03/22/10 BRAIN MRI GOOD-3 SMALL NECROSIS LEFT FROM ORIG 11!!
03/26/10 CHANGE TO NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN 3 LIVER LESIONS PROGRESSING IN SIZE
05/21/10 NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN WORKING!
07/19/10 GOOD BRAIN MRI
08/20/10 LIVER PROGRESSION
09/08/10 TDM1 - NASHVILLE TN
01/10/11 LIVER RESPONDING TO TDM1
Darlene Denise is offline   Reply With Quote