HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Metastatis Breast Cancer - Herceptin required

Hello Manish and Dimple,

So sorry about the diagnosis but you have found a great place for information and caring support.

You can read my breast cancer history below. Please note I was on Herceptin for 10 yrs, with relatively no effects.

I would offer you the advice I received at my first chemo session. You must drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, every day, to flush out the toxins.

Though nausea is present, there are great meds that I availed myself of, at my doctor's insistence that I not suffer. Also, it helps with the weight loss problem. Back in 1995 they offered me Zofran which did the trick. Then there were the days I was just queasy. For that, the doc prescribed Phenergan, which is milder and doesn't dope you up as much.

I would eat a handful of nuts, for sustenance. It was all I could manage. Some oatmeal with cinnamon flavor and some raisins.

Some docs advise against raw fruit and vegetables. Poached pears are excellent for example.

Most important, you must take care of yourself. Be good to yourself. Know that you need loving help and help yourself as much as you possibly can.

I took multiple supplements to boost my energy level and my immune system, help keep my heart strong. I believe they helped me survive, as did the surgery, the chemo treatments and especially the Herceptin!!! (I have been off of Herceptin now for 4 years and remain stable...)

I wish you and Dimple the best. Make sure you hug her often and offer your love constantly. My husband's rock-like support has been a godsend!

Andrea

PS They generally do a MUGA prior to chemo to get a baseline. After that, they followed my heart function by ECHO cardiogram, which is less invasive than the nuclear medicine test. With Herceptin I went every 6 months for ECHO tests. Your Ejection Fraction must be over 50, or they do not continue with the Herceptin. (This is part of the reason I remained on supplements, to boost my heart function. I feared that without Herceptin I would not survive.)

Best of good fortune to you!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
alexandra1

My wife has been taking Herceptin for 2 1/2 years. I can tell you that he has had no side affects. Herceptin is very well tolerated.
alexandra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
Manish

Hi. I would like to update that my wife Dimple had her first Herceptin with Taxol on 4th Sep 2012. During last three weeks she felt better than the other cemo she had earlier. Her blood reports were much better and she did not require any additional injections for increasing platelet counts (which she had to take after each earlier cemo therapy). I do believe from my heart that herceptin will do its job and she will get cured. She will be having her second herceptin cemo tomorrow and will be joining me in Dubai coming weekend after being in India for last 4 months (since she was diagnosed with cancer). We could take this decision considering how she felt after first dose of herceptin. Yes we will be travelling to india for the rest of the 2 cemos scheduled in October and November.
I am sharing this for those who have doubts like i had earlier after reading about herceptin and its side effects on internet. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and best wishes, which helped us in going ahead with this treatment.
Thanks. Manish
Manish is offline   Reply With Quote