HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
Lani

WHY breast cancer treatment can never be "one size fits all"

I often seem to rattle on regarding why it is important to look at breast cancer subtypes, comparing breast cancer to a fruit salad where one should not compare apples, oranges, pineapple, guavas and passionfruits (now was;t that delicious!)

Here is a perfect example of the need not only for individual treatment of tumors, but of different treatment of two tumors which developed simultaneously in the same patient.

Mol Cancer Ther. 2012 Aug 9. [Epub ahead of print]
Discordant cellular response to pre-surgical letrozole in bilateral synchronous ER+ breast cancers with a KRAS mutation or FGFR1 gene amplification.
Balko JM, Mayer IA, Sanders ME, Miller TW, Kuba MG, Meszoely IM, Wagle N, Garraway LA, Arteaga CL.
Source
1Medicine, Vanderbilt University.
Abstract
We describe herein a patient presenting with bilateral ER+ breast tumors. The patient was enrolled in a clinical trial exploring molecular aberrations associated with hormone-refractory tumor cell proliferation. Short-term (2-week) hormonal therapy with the aromatase inhibitor letrozole substantially reduced proliferation as measured by Ki67 immunohistochemistry in one tumor, while the second was essentially unchanged. Extensive molecular and genetic workup of the two tumors yielded divergent lesions in the two tumors: an activating KRAS mutation in the responsive tumor, and an amplification of the FGFR1 locus in the treatment-refractory tumor. These findings provide an insight to possible mechanisms of resistance to antiestrogen therapy in ER+ breast cancers. First, they illustrate the necessity of clinically approved assays to identify FGFR1 gene amplification, which occur in ~5% of breast tumors and have been linked to antiestrogen resistance. It is quite possible that the addition of FGFR inhibitors to ER-targeted therapy will yield a superior antitumor effect and improved patient outcome. Second, they suggest that the role of activating mutations in RAS, although rare in breast cancer, may need to be explored in the context of ER+ breast tumors.
PMID: 22879364
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: WHY breast cancer treatment can never be "one size fits all"

Thank you Lani. I'm please to see this information. I was multi focal in the right breast and asked if there was any difference in the lesions by the nipple, which were only detected by MRI, and the the larger lesion located above. Five years ago, that question was a bit ahead of the medical communities way of thinking. Now so many changes are bringing more tools to the treatment of cancer.

I'm so glad you are great at discovering this information and sharing it with us.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Laurel

Like the salad metaphor, Lani. This is interesting, but do you think extensive molecular and genetic testing on all tumors will ever become the norm due to the associated expense? Much of this lab work currently runs in the 3-5k price range and that is just for the standard ki67. It would be wonderful to have the knowledge, but just as with our propensity to mets to the CNS where routine MRI screening is suggested, the expense vs benefit becomes the prevailing limitation.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Lani

sequencing the human genome used to cost multimillions of dollars. I have read (U think in the Economist) that we are now probably less than a year away from the cost being #1000 and it will continue to drop. Where there is a will, and a money-generating contest competing aginst for profit large companies trying to maximize profiti ( companies should realize there is more money to be made making the test affordable, making up in quantity sold for the lower price --thank you Henry Ford and the Model T for showing the way!)

MIcrofluidic chips may lead the way and I am sure other methods including spectroscopy (noninvasive, not even a blood test) could be developed further.

If one only looks at what things cost now, one will stay in the mode of why test for mets early if the person will ony die in two years one way or the other.

If we don't try, we won't get better at fighting breat cancer and other cancers.

Off the soap box again.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Laurel

I agree, Lani, and you may stay on your proverbial soap box as far as I am concerned. I really hope you are correct in your belief that our market driven economy will deliver affordable testing. It feels like we are in the stone age on some of this stuff and another break through is needed to propel us forward into a new era of cancer treatment!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
hutchibk

The salad metaphor is great. Stay on your soap box... it makes sense.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote