HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 10-28-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
Roz

T/X combo has knocked the socks off me.

Hi, I hope someone can give me support/advice. I have been on T/X since 5th October and have had diarrhoea (I'M finally going to learn how to spell the word, I 've used it so much lately) every couple of days. I take Immodium, tried slippery elm bark, and still it comes. Like someone has turned on a tap. I have finished one cycle and just begun the next when I saw my onc. She says that she thinks I should come off it for a week, and then go on a reduced dose. She says 3 Tykerb a day and 3 Xeloda for a while and then increase it. Has anybody else used this strategy? I think at present I really have no choice. I am sleeping a couple of hours through the day as well as 8 hours at night!! I went out for a meal last night, I was careful what i had, but it felt like an effort getting to the venue. I'm not normally like this and I HATE IT!!
Regards
Roz
diagnosed June 03. Rt sided Inflammatory BC in rt lower quadrant. 7cm tumour. Also 3 DCIS. 3 rounds of EC, mastectomy with axillary clearance (12 nodes+ of 19). 1 more EC. 5 weeks of rads, with weekly booster to attack skin lymph involvement. 4 cycles of Taxol. Tamoxifen.Recurrence December 04, Herceptin started early Jan05,+ Arimidex.
NED 26 mths. Recurrence early Mar07. Taxol added to Herceptin. NED. Will have total of 6 cycles, then Aromisan and Herceptin. Early Oct 07, recurrence to the pesky right upper lobe, with some pleural thickening upper rt hemithorax. T/X now the treatment. May 2008, Taxatere and Herceptin for lung recurrence
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:34 AM   #2
adrien

Hi Roz

Hi Roz I've just sent you a message.
Adrien

Last edited by adrien; 10-29-2007 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: meant to be a private message
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Janet Taylor

Roz, I can relate to everything you are saying. I started on Tykerb and Xeloda about the same time, and I am experiencing the same side effects. I see my onc on Wed. and she said she will consider changing my doses... I will let you know what she prescribes.

I hate being tied to a restroom. I feel like I need to stay within about 20 feet of one at all times. Ugh!

I look forward to reading the positive advice people give you!

JT
Janet Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
hutchibk

Hi Roz and Janet -

I don't know if it works for everyone, but I'll share my plan... I have been on the max dose of Tykerb and Xeloda since May and I no longer have any side effects. I was able to normalize and avoid diarrhea after about the first 5-6 weeks, but it takes some true discipline on my part.

please don't jump ship yet... try a few things first to see if you can mitigate the symptoms.

Some women do one week on and one week off of Xeloda (continuing with Tykerb everyday), and that seems to be more tolerable.

DIARRHEA
When experiencing diarrhea, I steer clear of milk and most dairy. I do eat occasional organic yogurt. I eat the BRAT diet (Banana, Rice ~I prefer brown rice~, Applesauce, Toast) in the morning for breakfast. Every morning when I have to, if diarrhea takes control again. I have found that I have to stay on a very very very strict clean diet. NO JUNK or fast food at all. No fried foods (it is scary how fast they can activate my diarrhea... but then they do directly activate the gall-bladder to dump it's bile, so it stands to reason). I drink mostly water, juices and tea. NO soft drinks other than Izze or the ones made with carbonation and pure juice (i.e. Italian sodas). I eat a 50/50 raw and cooked vegetable diet everyday. Salads, fruit, veggies (steamed, raw, sauteed), whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, oats, etc), whole grain pastas and breads (in other words, no bleached white flour products), natural meats sparingly, occasional cheese, lots of beans, cook with olive oil and I steer clear of sugar as much as possible. The cleaner my diet and the more disciplined I am about it, the less diarrhea I have. I have been on T/X for 5 months now and I have only one day per cycle, at the very most, of diarrhea these days. I rarely need Immodium at all, but if I do, it is only one day out of 21... I know diet is a huge factor based on my experience, as I have gotten lazy a time or two (especially when traveling), and fast food has been my intestinal downfall. When I corrected to my clean diet, all was well again in a few days. Along with a very disciplined diet, to avoid immodium, you can take Bentonite Clay (1 tablespoon each morning, shaken very well in 8 oz. of juice or water and followed by an 8 oz glass of water). This hint was given to me by my nutritional doctor (who is cancer specific) and it worked very well for me as I was trying to get my body regulated in the early days. He also suggested I could try Carob Powder in juice or water, but recommended the clay as the better of the two to help as an absorptive agent in the bowels...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you show up with more than very mild rash:

RASH
As far as rash, here are some of the fixes that can be tried by your doctor...

*Employ a proactive approach in managing skin reactions.
*Suggest that patients use a thick, alcohol-free emollient cream.
*Suggest that patients use a sunscreen of SPF 25 or higher, preferably
containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide
* If patient presents with rash, verify appropriate administration of drug and proceed with the following therapy algorithm:

Mild Rash:
Minimally located
No impact on activities of daily life (ADL)
No sign of superinfection

(shows picture of mild rash occurrence across bridge of nose and cheeks)

Continue EGFR targeted treatment @current dose and monitor for change in severity.

***Use:
Topical hydrocortisone 1% or 2.5% cream and/or Clindamycin 1% gel

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens or does not improve, proceed to next step.

Moderate Rash:
Generalized
Mild Symptoms (e.g. pruritus, tenderness)
Minimal impact on ADL
No sign of superinfection

(shows picture of red worsened rash occurrence (pruritus) across nose, around nostrils, top lip, lower cheeks, and entire chin.)

Continue EGFR targeted treatment @current dose and monitor for change in severity. Continue treatment of the skin reaction with the following:

***Use:
Hydrocortisone 2.5% cream or Clindamycin 1% gel
or Pimecrolimus 1% cream
Plus Doxycycline 100mg BID or Monocycline 100mg BID

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens or does not improve, proceed to next step.

Severe Rash:
Generalized
Severe symptoms (e.g. pruritus, tenderness)
Significant impact on ADL
Potential sign of superinfection

(shows picture of worsened rash occurrence similar to moderate with more facial coverage and continuation to shoulders and neck)

Reduce EGFR targeted therapy as per label and monitor for change in severity. Continue treatment of skin reaction with the following:

***Use:
Hydrocortisone 2.5% cream or Clindamycin 1% gel
or Pimecrolimus 1% cream
Plus Doxycycline 100mg BID or Monocycline 100mg BID
Plus Medrol dose pack

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens, dose interruption or discontinuation may be necessary.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My hand/foot is in the form of sore toenails only, but B6 takes that away completely...

HAND/FOOT SYNDROME
To stave off hand foot symtoms, be sure to take your B6 (50mg per meal - total 100-150mg a day). For dry cracking skin on your feet, (which you must avoid at all costs, don't let it take hold!) we have a bunch of ladies here with cream suggestions that have helped. Personally, I love Brave Soldier Friction Zone. Some have had great results with one called Ahava.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MISCELLANEOUS
Don't take any folic acid while on T/X - it can markedly worsen the side effects. You will find it in your multi vits and B complex, so stay away from those supplements while you are on T/X.

And no grapefruit products at all while on this regimine...

I hope this helps! Don't give up!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Roz

T/X side effects

Hi Brenda and Janet,
Thanks for the advice and commisserations. It is nice to know you are not alone, especially when you live alone like me and there is no one to "live" through it with you. My daughter is OK, but my friends are better. guess my daughter finds it hard to accept right now.
Anyway, I have tried the BRAT diet, nearly drove me mad, but still... I think maybe the key is to get on top of it. I left it for a while thinking ot would right itsel, and that may have been my downfall. I hope it is as simple as that. I also think that I will take electolytes immediately after diarrhoea to keep my system balanced. I just felt so dreadful, and began to sleep a lot. Perhaps that's a sign of electolytic imbalance. Again, i hope it is going to be that simple!! One wek on and one week off seems like a good way to go. I will discuss it with my onc. Thanks a lot.
diagnosed June 03. Rt sided Inflammatory BC in rt lower quadrant. 7cm tumour. Also 3 DCIS. 3 rounds of EC, mastectomy with axillary clearance (12 nodes+ of 19). 1 more EC. 5 weeks of rads, with weekly booster to attack skin lymph involvement. 4 cycles of Taxol. Tamoxifen.Recurrence December 04, Herceptin started early Jan05,+ Arimidex.
NED 26 mths. Recurrence early Mar07. Taxol added to Herceptin. NED. Will have total of 6 cycles, then Aromisan and Herceptin. Early Oct 07, recurrence to the pesky right upper lobe, with some pleural thickening upper rt hemithorax. T/X now the treatment. May 2008, Taxatere and Herceptin for lung recurrence
Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
hutchibk

I agree, dehydration and lack of electrolytes can really run you down and make you feel terrible.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
Becca

Roz, I have been on T/X now for 7 months. On and off I have dealt with persistent but manageable diarhea, nausea, etc. I can see no pattern for it during the cycle--the problems just seems to vary. I eat a bland diet. Some days I feel reasonably well, others awful. About 10 days ago I had diarhea so bad--about 40 or more times in 12 hrs. I took at least 9 Imodiums. My onc wanted me out at the hospital, but it is a 30 min trip and I just couldn't do it. My husband took a stool sample out to the lab (no problem with it). I stayed off the chemos for a couple days, started the Tykerb again for 2 days, and there was that awful diarhea again. Went off chemo again and now am on 3 Tykerb and no X for 2 weeks (because of inflamed nails). So far am ok with this dose. I will go up to 4 Tykerb later to see what happens. Then perhaps back up to 5. Yes, the diarhea is very exhausting--I felt puny for several days after those episodes. My onc is pleased with the results of the T/X, so I will stay on it. Keep us posted on how you do on the reduced dose. Becca
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Vanessa

I just started my Tykerb today, My doctor told me to start small and then increase the dosage. I only took 2 today and I am feeling a little sick at my stomach, but I am sure it will take a couple of days to kick in. Thanks for all of the advice, Brenda in such an organized manner. How about the inside of the mouth, does it dry out the lining? Any adivce on that.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Vanessa

I just started Tykerb today. I received it in the mail by fed ex. My doctor told me to start small (2 or 3) pills a day and then increase. I took 2 pills tonight, which I realize is a very small dose, but I haven't had any diarrhea yet, of course I realize it could hit me at any time. I am a little concerned about that side effect, but I am prepared with Immodium and will try the BRAT diet. I hope your side effects get better Roz.

I also appreciate your specific input Brenda, you have your information really organized. Anybody have dry lips and lining of the mouth. It seems like every chemo, antibody and even radiation has that as a side effect. I am interested in hearing about any other side effects anyone else had has and how they dealt with them. Also, can you purchase bentonite clay at a health food store? I am glad this tx is working for a lot of people.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
hutchibk

Hi Vanessa - sorry, I have been in San Antonio for a couple of days...

I haven't had specific dry lips or inside of mouth other than the typical feeling of being a bit dehydrated... so I drink, drink, drink water and fluids like crazy. I bought my bottle of Bentonite Clay at Whole Foods...

Let us know how you are doing!! I am still sailing with relatively NO side effects from Tykerb/Xeloda. Best of luck as you ramp up your doseage.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 11-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #11
Vanessa

Brenda,

I don't know how you are doing it and how you started out at the maximum dose. I started at 2 and got severely sick at my stomach. So, my doctor told me to stop it for a couple of days and then start at one. She also gave me a shot of Aloxi today. So I am taking 2 Zofrans during the day and 2 phenergans at night and still sick at my stomach. I am so glad you tolerate it so well and thanks for your tips.

Roz,

I am also sleeping a lot with it. Again, I don't know how I would have felt if I had taken more than 2 to begin with. I think I am supposed to start with 1 tomorrow night. Also, my doctor believes that part of my stomach trouble is from the high dose of steriods during radiation. Oh well, we will see. I am determined to take this medicine. Good luck to everyone that is struggling with Tykerb.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:55 AM   #12
Roz

side effects

Hi Vanessa,
My oncologist said that they are seeing it in almost everybody. As my hospital has only got to dispense the EAP in the last few months, they are able to keep tabs on how people are responding. (i"m sure every hospital is the same tho) I looked up the dose of Tykerb I am taking and according to the official site 750mgms can be given to people with liver problems. So let's hope I can tolerate it so I can go up to 4 tabs in a week or so. Altho it's early days yet (3 days to be exact) I feel a whole lot better.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
Elizab

T/X combo has knocked the socks off me

I have been taking the same combo since late August. After a while, I started getting diarrhea daily, often multiple times. I go to an acupuncturist regularly. She has treated the diarrhea with acupuncture, and amazingly it is not troubling me any more. For what it's worth, I took Xeloda about 3 years ago (following Taxotere) and had very bad diarrhea. I was not doing acupuncture at that time. I tried Immodium, and then finally stopped the Xeloda. I really recommend the acupuncture.
Regarding the lowered dose, my doctor has lowered my Xeloda dose because my feet became very painful. Daily, I now take 1250 mg Tykerb and 2000 mg Xeloda.
Good luck,
Elizabeth
Elizab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
Vanessa

Roz, I am glad to know you are feeling better and I am hoping and praying that you can tolerate the larger dose.

Elizabeth, I have done accupunture before with great success. It has been several years ago for a different problem. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
hutchibk

You remind me that I need to get back to my regular accupuncture visits!

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 11-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #16
Elizab

good news

Yes, I feel acupuncture has helped me tremendously, with energy and various other side effects. But the diarrhea results are "measurable" or "verifiable", not just my subjective say-so !

I have very good news about using Tykerb -Xeloda. I had a scan this week, after about 10 weeks using the 2, and the metastatic spot on my lung is gone !! Herceptin had stopped working for me, and then Taxol only worked for a short time and then stopped working, so I am a happy lady.
Elizab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
Becca

Elizabeth, that is great news about your scan. I am glad the T/X is working so well for you, just as it is for Brenda. Brenda has so few side effects with this combo too--that is a double positive for her. It gives me hope that I can do well with T/X and get adjusted to the side effects.
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
adrien

Tykerb on its own

Hi,
I am on Tykerb only (no xeloda) as I'm having radiotherapy for skin tumours and do not have any diarreoha. I do have skin rashes but would be interested to know if there was anyone else out there on Tykerb only and what side effects they have experienced.
Are the dreaded runs a result of the combo or Tykerb alone?
Adrien
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #19
hutchibk

Eliza - congrats on the great news... Herc/Taxol was losing effectiveness for me too. I love T/X.

Adrien - post a seperate thread asking your question and I bet you will get lots of answers...

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #20
Roz

update

Hi All,
I have upped my dose of Tykerb to 4 a day and reduced the Xeloda to 2000mgm a day. I notice in the trials it was 2000mgm per day, so why has it been upped to 3000mgm, can anyone tell me?
I also had a little diarrhoea after stopping the Tykerb, and hit it with Gastro Ag,(Brenda I think that is like Bentonite Clay?) as well as slippery elm and root marshmallow. I took 2 Immodium and that evening saw the acupuncturist. Talk about big guns!! since seeing the acupucturist,(24 hours ago) I have been tired. She said to expect that, so here's hoping it goes away soon. I also got a terrible rash this time on my arms. I will start back on the Xeloda in a few days so I have my fingers crossed.