HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
robind

Question Herceptin/MUGA Scan

Need help...advice how to handle this.
My oncologist in Sept. told me that when I was finished with Herceptin, I would need to have a final MUGA scan. That would be for January. My oncologist is out on maternity and I saw another...she said I did not need a muga, my heart never had any problem and even if there were a problem, there would be nothing that could be done. OUCH. I came right back and said, well, I'd go and see a cardiologist.
Now, I'm not going to panic here but...my confusion is real here. One says one thing and the other says something exactly the opposite. My oncologist isn't due back till April and I probably won't be seen by her until June. So...do I push to have it done??? Does everybody have that final MUGA regardless of the numbers of each one while on Herceptin. Please, I'd appreciate any and all answers on this one.
Thanks so much...HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
Robind
robind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Midwest Alice

Re: Herceptin/MUGA Scan

Different onc, different plans. If the stand in onc knows how upset you are I would think she would go ahead and order one for you. You could see a cardiologist. I feel the way you do and I would want a end MUGA.

Hope this helps
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
robind

Thanks Midwest Alice. I've been thinking about this most of the day today. Part of me feels that because all the muga scans showed no concerns whatsoever, that perhaps I should just leave it at that. And, now with the recent discussion about cat scans and such, do I want to push for a test that still is putting a dye into my heart along with other things. I could just ask for an electrocardiagram...maybe that's what I should do. Then, the other side of me feels that if my oncologist brought it up to me months ago...because she felt it should be done. Maybe I'll concentrate about it after the holidays. Thanks for your reply. Happy holidays.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Joe
Webmaster

Robind,
Did they give you a baseline MUGA when you started Herceptin? and have you had others? What were the results?

Herceptin is cardiotoxic in a small population of HER2 patients and weakens the heart. If your ejection factor (this is what the MUGA measures) drops below 50%, the oncologist discontinues Herceptin and your heart bounces back !!! In the majority of cases the damage is not permanent.

I really wouldn't worry too much. FYI an echocardiogram works just as well.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Sandra in GA

Robind,
I hope this gives you some comfort. I understand your stress and confusion over a change of plans, however I will share my recent experience with you. I have just completed the treatment phase of a phase II study down at Mayo in Jacksonville. It was to look at the cardiac safety and tolerability of Herceptin and lapatinib (Tykerb). I had my last Herceptin Nov. 10th and took the last Tykerb NOv. 17th. During the study I had an echocardigram every three months. I saw my onc. Dec. 10th after I finished and he did not order another echo on my completing the Herceptin. I can tell you also that even though I didi not reaalize I was extremely fatigued, I am feeling better and better each passing day. I know my heart is stronger even if I had no problems during my treatments with my scores. I hope you will soon begin feeling stronger and stronger also. This feeling of strength will let you know you are doing well.

I also feel sure that since this study looked at the cardiac safety, if an end of treatment measurment was needed, aother echo would have been done.

Take care and have a Merry Christmas!

Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
robind

Thanks Joe. Actually all the muga's I had, including the base were in the 60's. There was never any concern while on Herceptin. It just troubles me that my oncologist who mentioned I would have to have a final one is not around until April and another doctor said it totally wasn't necessary. I must say, I feel much better reading your note.
Thanks so much for answering, I appreciate that you took the time. Have a very happy holiday.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
robind

Sandra in GA. Thanks for answering and sharing. So, now I have a question and I never thought of this before. Why do a muga is an echocardiogram is the same or as effective???
I've been most fortunate. I've felt terrific and strong truly since the end of last January when radiation was over. I never had any real difficulties while getting Herceptin, including fatigue. I realize, I truly was fortunate. I do feel though that because I was so ill during the months of chemo, which included infection on top of infection and needing blood transfusions...I did deserve a break...Herceptin was okay for my heart as all my MUGA's were in the 60's.
The best to you, I hope you are getting your strength back and feel better and better each day. Have a wonderful Christmas, and best wishes for the new year. I hope for good health for all of us. Robind
Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Sandra in GA

Robind,
I am no expert. I only know that they can also get the ejection factor from some measurements they take when they did the echos on me. Mine also were never a concern. I was very conderned when they did the first one before beginning Herceptin and Tykerb because they told me that if my factor was below 45, I could not be in the trial. Thankfully, it was in the 60's and 50's during the trial. I appreciate your very thoughtful response. Have a great day!
Sandra
PS I did see where they are using the MUGA in another trial. I was the last one to finish the trial I was in and only got a spot because so many had dropped due to the diarrhea the Tykerb casuses. I don't know when they began this trial. It may be that using the echo is now out dated. Just a thought.
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
robind

I'm going to take the advice of Joe and not worry about this. Based on all the ejection factor results from each MUGA being consistently in the 60's range...I'm comfortable in the belief that my heart was unscathed. One less thing for me to think about at this juncture
Thanks for all your input. You just get strong!
Merry Holidays.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Lizard

I got a baseline MUGA before beginning my chemo (4 ACs every other week). Then another MUGA after I finished AC (to see the impact of the cardiotoxic Adrimyocin) before beginning 12 weekly Taxol/Herceptin doses.

I was also under the impression that I was going to get a follow up MUGA after I finished my weekly Taxol/Herceptin to see the impact Herceptin had on my heart. To me it would only make sense measure against something that had already been taken.

But then my oncologist surprised me with an order for an echocardiogram instead, which he assured was just as good as a MUGA and told more information. I asked 2 radiologists what the difference was and both assured me that you could measure the contraction of the left ventricle ejection fraction in the echo against the same in the previous MUGAs IF you can get a good image in the Echo. I was told by one radiologist that getting a good image from an echo is sometimes difficult if the patient is obese, which doesn't impede MUGAs.

All finished with, "and it's cheaper" (the echo), so I'm wondering if it boils down to avoiding arguments with insurers. My guess is that if 2 mugas show above 50, then the insurance agencies start pressuring doctors to switch to the cheaper version.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
Jackie07

It could have also been influenced by the latest report on 'over scanning' (CT scans) Perhaps the doctors are now more concerned about the danger brought on by unnecessary radiation exposure.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
Westcoastgirl

I have found over and over again when I go to the chemo lab that women with the same diagnosis/age as me but a different onc have different treatments. It bothered me at first but I came to realize there are many ways to skin a cat. I will not have a MUGA at the end of my Herceptin treatment and will not worry at all about it. My MUGA scores went down but then recovered while still on Herceptin. Others I know had such things problems as enlarged hearts from Herceptin and they did not have a final MUGA because as soon as we are off Herceptin the heart recovers and returns to whatever is normal for you. Don't worry about this at all. You have done well so put it behind you.
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
Unregistered

Red face hhYUImkcXuGYy

better then xhamster.com j.t. baker chemical co
bbs lolitas soap opera network .com
www.online.hmrc.gov.uk login quot h3064s f.00 quot
lolitas bbs pringt free.com
callme.saintelizabeth.com 10.1.8.254
topic directv.com thanks www.giuniform.com
xhamster.com sexy mature webcam article jalifstudio.com
lolita bbs 2009 post chicasgunacas.com
lolitas underage macbeth vs. a movie
old navey.com rejection. and then what

Last edited by Hello ; 05-13-2012 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: FzqMxxHJKgTzh
Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Unregistered

I meant Echocardiogram, not EKG.

Sorry.

Joanna
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
Sandra in GA

Thank you Joanna for posting this information about the risks of the MUGA and the echocardiogram. I am glad I had the echos.
Sandra
Old 01-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #16
Chelee

That's the first I've heard that...thank you for sharing it with us. I always had ECHO's thank goodness. I'm exposed to enough radiation doing all the other scans and regular x-rays. So thanks so sharing this information...I'm sure it will be eye opening to many here.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 AM   #17
vlcarr

They did a baseline ECHO on me before I could start the Tykerb/Herceptin trial.

I had another at the end of the trial which was 3 months later. My onc also wants one at the end of chemo and than again when I finish Herceptin. So, I've never had MUGAs but ECHOs.

Wishing you the best in your recovery.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #18
bee123

Trotsky held the ketchup bottle in his hand and dispensed some of the thick sticky red paste into the bend of his plate, before picking a fire, dipping it in the tomato ketchup and plucking it into his mouth, while saying: