HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
healthylonglife

Whew! Just finished 1st cycle of Xeloda/Tykerb

Today is my first day of cycle two. I know I will be more prepared this time. My biggest problem was when to take the pills. I started of taking Tykerb at 6 am eating at 7am then taking Xeloda at 7:30 am and 7:30 pm. Needless to say that latest three days. I was so exhausted that I switched my times to Tykerb at 8am and Xeloda at 9:20 am and 9:20 pm. I didn't like eating late but it was better than being exhausted.

From the very first day I had nausea. By day 10 I was ready to take some nausea medicine because I couldn't take it anymore. My Onc. was on vacation so on day 10 I say the PA. He gave me a scipt for a nausea patch. Well it didn't work. I ended up calling the emrgency line at my Onc's office on day 12 because I had nausea and had began to vomit. I threw up my Xeloda that night. The Onc on call was not to pleased the PA had given me a script for a "sea sickness patch". He called in a script for Zofran and told e to reduce my Xeloda to 4 pills a day instead of 6. Well needless to the Zofran didnt make me feel better it gave me the worst headache ever. Day 14 I didnt take any pills.

Day 15 was in experiment mode. Hey this is my body so I said I am going to start listening to it. Well the spirit lead me to try a few things. I wanted to make sure it was the Xeloda making me sick not the Tykerb. So day 15 I took the Tykerb and I had nausea, tingling in my skin and burning sensations in my skin. Day 16 I ate an hour before the Tykerb, EUREKA!!!!!! my nausea was not there. HMMMMMM... I think I stumbled on something. Day 16 I had a hankering for a salad. So we had a family outing to Ihop because I love their big salads. 5 bites into the salad I was in the restroom. Four bouts of diarrhea later and I feel like a new person ( maybe I was getting toxic and needed a good cleaning out). Day 16-21 I felt good. I ate before taking Tykerb. Day 20 I went to the movies and day 21 I went out by myself went, drove to the supermarket and went to a few other stores all my myself. I enjoyed feeling normal!!!

Some of my other symptoms throughout the cycle were, sore hands and tingling feet, small black spots appearing on my fingertips and toes, rash around my nose, constapation for the first 10 days, diarrhea for 2 out of the 21 days, nausea ranging from mild to severe, sore raw stomach, mild dehydration, irritated nose with a bloody mucus and two nose bleeds, fatigue ranging from mild to I stayed in bed an entire day and a few mouth sore that were mild.

Here are some of the things I did. First I prayed. I rubbed my hands and feet twice a day with heel and callous lotion, I tried to take a B6 tablet when I remembered and I put A&D ointment up my nose using a cotton swab. I used Cloysis Mouthwash and toothpaste. For my face I got some proactiv green clay mud mask and put that on my face. I also used oil of olay moisturizer with sun protection. I am trying to find a good sunscreen for the face.

My appetite has not been that good. I crave salads but I know I cant eat them as much now. Unfortunately one thing that I can keep down is Mcdonalds cheeseburgers. Before cancer I rarely went to McDonalds. During my first chemo that was the only thing I could keep down after chemo. Go figure. Well I am off to the Onc's office. I will keep you posted.

So far today, Day 1 second cycle is good. I am ate and took the Xeloda first in this morning and I am about to take the Tykerb so I will see if this makes a difference.

Hugs and Kisses to my Her2 family!!!!!
healthylonglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: Whew! Just finished 1st cycle of Xeloda/Tykerb

Wow! What a few weeks for you. Hope this next cycle treats you kindly. please let us know how it goes along with any tips for managing
the side effects.
Wishing you a great response to this treatment.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: Whew! Just finished 1st cycle of Xeloda/Tykerb

You are doing a great thing by listening to your own body. It knows what it needs and when it needs whatever it needs.
If your oncologist or the staff in that office are not helping you call the drug companies that make the drugs. Most drug companies have pharmacists or other staff members who can assist patients with problems and make suggestions about how to take their medicines.
You could get an actual drug insert that comes with the medicine and read that. Drug inserts are meant for doctors, but are not that hard to read. That might give you special instructions and helpful information. Ask a chemo nurse or pharmacist from the specialty pharmacy you get the drugs to give you the insert.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Unregistered

My father passed and he left two unsused bottles of xeloda. Does anyone know how to dispose of them? I wouldn't want to just pour them in the toilet.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
CampyGrandma

Take the bottles back to the pharmacy. They should give you a credit for the unused pills. Don't know if all pharmacies will do this but after my Mom died we took meds back to the drug store. Even if they don't give you credit at least they can dispose of them properly for you.
CampyGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
jml

I found the dosing cycle of Tykerb/Xeloda so hard to manage!
What I finally settled on was taking the Tykerb, before bed, on an empty stomach, ofcourse. (Sleeping through some of the side effects - like the nausea and fatigue-helped lots.)
Then I could wake up, eat and take the Xeloda.
It just seemed like up-loading all those drugs 1st thing in the morning was a lot for the body to have to take on.
Hope all goes well for you on this combo~

Keep the Faith,

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote