HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
TriciaK

Re: Another update on triciaK

I am so encouraged by all your thoughts and prayers and good wishes! After posting last night I had the best night's sleep in two months. I have no doubt your prayers contributed. I woke up at 3 a.m. itching terribly, got up and relieved the itch somewhat with a hairbrush--probably not wise but I was desperate! Then I sprayed an organic moisturizer I had been given at the "Look Good, Feel Better" workshop I attended several months ago inspired by Sheila'a description of one she attended. It worked better than the prescriptions the dermatologist had prescribed. I went back to bed and slept until 8:30 this morning. I really surprised and delighted my husband by poaching eggs and making toast for our breakfast---he has been trying to do the cooking since I have been so ill, and he is not naturally domestic. I have actually had an appetite today and have kept everything down---amazing progress!
On Tuesday last week my oncologist had prescribed 2 prednisone a day for 3 days and now 1 for 10 days, plus benedryl every eight hours, plus hydrocodone for the pain of the hives. Last night was the first night I had felt any positive response to those meds. It seems to be a good combination and I have hopes that we can get the allergy under control enough to try another chemo. The onc was pretty sure the severe hives were caused more by the tykerb than the xeloda, which troubles me somewhat because I may need to continue the tykerb if he is sure the herceptin is not effective now for me. I am really reluctant to give up the big H because it was so effective in 2004 and 2005.There is still so much up in the air, but I am feeling much more hope and confidence than I did when I posted yesterday, and I am convinced that your comments and prayers are very much a part of that. I will keep you updated on how things continue, especially as I talk with the oncologist and proceed with the next phase of treatment. Thank you, dear friends and fellow warriors! Love and hugs, TriciaK
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
caya

Tricia, glad you got some decent sleep last night. I can only add my prayers and best wishes that you continue the fight and feel better.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Barbara H.

Good morning, Tricia!
I would agree with your inclination not to give up the Herceptin. Although the cancer mutates, I am sure that you still have cancer cells that are successfully being targeted by the Herceptin. It also no longer works alone for me the way it did when I recurred. However, TDM-1 worked for me, and as you know I am currently on Tykerb and Herceptin. I do not see how you can know which drug you were allergic to since you took two drugs. Xeloda is a a powerful drug, and it also can cause severe skin conditions. Once everything is cleared out of your system, I wonder if there would be a way to cautiously test the two drugs separately. Although the combination of just Herceptin/Tykerb is not FDA approved, this combination is supported by Oncologists at the Dana Farber.

I am also glad you were able to sleep. It makes a big difference and also promotes healing.
Best Wishes,
Barbara
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
sarah

itching

Hello Tricia,
So sorry you're going through this. what drugs did they try to stop the itching? benadryl???
I had terrible itching with Taxol (not as bad as yours) but I ended up with open sores and they gave me cortisone cream - helped for a day, then was useless. Actually the only thing that calmed the itching was calamine lotion - something that no one thought to suggest! I still have scars on my arms where the sores were and I still suffer from periodic bouts of itching - think my skin may have become more sensitive, particularly to sunshine and water!!! I never tried the benadryl tablets but I did get the spray and that also helped me. Unfortunately the spray doesn't exist here and I have to ask friends to bring it in from the US for me.
I was also given an allergy pill "Aerius" which I think helped a little but really the benadryl spray and calamine lotion worked best for me. I lathered the calamine lotion on thickly!
I hope they find very soon a chemo that works well without such terrible side effects.
health and happiness
hugs and love
sarah
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
ElaineM

Wink Re: Another update on triciaK

I just happened to remember something that happened to me several years ago.
I developed a terrible rash with some itching around my mouth, nose and on my cheeks. I went to several doctors and had allergy testing. No one could figure out what was wrong with me or what was causing the problem.
I decided to talk to my local pharmacist. She checked all the medicines I was taking for problems, ingredients and interactions and discovered the powder used as a filler or binder in my generic blood pressure medicine could cause a rash. The next day I took the medicine to my naturopath who has different kind of allergy testing than the allergist has. We discovered the pharmacist was 100% correct !!!!!!!! The day after that I called the insurance company. They sent a form for my doctor to fill out requesting the brand name of the medicine. He did that. The insurance company approved the request and I now use the brand name with no problems.
If it can happen to me it can happen to other people too. Maybe you would like to talk to a pharmacist about the itchy rash.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote