HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
'lizbeth

Having Radiation Therapy? Try Tumeric

Curcumin: A treatment for breast cancer and radiation-induced dermatitis

Julie Ryan, Cody Spencer, Laura Marsh, Amit Deorurkhkar, Sunil Krishnan, Paul Okunieff, Gary Morrow and Alice Pentland University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death in women. Unfortunately, common treatment modalities for breast cancer, such as ionizing radiation, damage normal cells and tissues. Radiation-induced skin reactions occur in approximately 90% of patients. Currently, there is no standard treatment for the prevention of radiation-induced skin reactions with demonstrative effectiveness. Curcumin, a major component of turmeric and curry powders, is a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant with radioprotective and radiosensitizing properties. Since tumors, unlike normal tissues, thrive on inflammation and high levels of growth and angiogenic factors, curcumin could successfully reduce inflammation and breast tumor growth without adversely affecting normal tissues. In this study, we examined the ability of curcumin to act as a radioprotector of skin and as radiosensitizer in human breast cancer cells. SKH-1 hairless mice were intragastrically administered curcumin (200mg/kg) or placebo (corn oil) before or after irradiation with 30 Gy to the left hind leg. After 14 days of observation, radiation-induced dermatitis was observed in all SKH-1 hairless mice, except those administered curcumin post-radiation. In vivo studies were performed in C3H mice to determine if curcumin altered growth of murine mammary tumors. Intragastric and intraperitonal administration of curcumin reduced Mca4 and Mca35 mammary tumor growth by 50% in C3H mice. Five human breast cancer cells lines (MDA-MB-231, MCF-7, MDA-MB-453, BT-20, SK-BR-3) and immortalized human mammary cell line MCF-12A were treated with 2µM or 5µM curcumin in the presence and absence of radiation (2 Gy or 4 Gy). Clonogenic survival assays demonstrated that curcumin combined with radiation inhibited survival of the five breast cancer cell lines. These results were confirmed by flow cytometry using the Live/Dead assay. Additionally, curcumin combined with radiation reduced invasiveness of MDA-MB-231 and BT-20 cells. We conclude that curcumin effectively protected skin from radiation damage, but sensitized breast cancer cells to radiation. Overall, curcumin is a promising therapeutic agent for treatment of breast cancer and radiation-induced dermatitis. Future in vivo studies must be performed to determine if curcumin can simultaneously treat dermatitis and breast cancer in combination with radiation therapy.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
LeahM

Re: Having Radiation Therapy? Try Tumeric

Interesting. I started taking curcumin around chemo #3. I held it for 3 days before after chemo infusions on the advice of my onc but have been taking it daily since chemo ended. I took it all thru rad treatments and my skin did amazingly well...considering that pulling a bandaid off me also pulls off the top layer of skin I was shocked at how well my skin held up with rads.
I used calendulla (sp?) cream a couple of times a day, eucerin cream at night and betamethazone cream on a few itchy areas. I never rubbed in the creams, just put on a thick layer and ruined all my summer tank tops that I wore under my clothes.
If you saw my skin now you wouldn't know that just a few months ago I had radiation treatments. My plastic surgeon was very impressed with how well my skin did and altho he originally said I would have to wait "at least 6 months" before I could have my expanders out and my implants in, he has changed his mind and I will be having that surgery May 8. That's just 3 months and 2 weeks since end of rads. He would have done it mid April but I said no because I am doing a mud run on May 4 and didn't want to cancel that....priorities...
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
'lizbeth

Wow Leah, you are doing a mud run? That just totally rocks. My friend just did a 3.2 mile run in 33 minutes. I figured out those are 6 minute miles. Crazy good. I personally am struggling to get to 4mph on the treadmill, lol.

I think you are onto something with the different creams, and the curcumin. Sounds miraculous, like how aloe vera works with burns.

I think your priorities are great. I've seen alot of information on exercise and reduction of cancer recurrence. I think that is so awesome about the mud run. And you will be in great shape for your surgery.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
LeahM

checking in 'lizabeth...the mud run was A-MAZE-ING!! I had a ton of fun and still have mud under my toenails!! My surgery went well too...the new girls are...well...round...and way bigger then my original God given breasts...
As a side benefit my PS did a bit of abdominal lipo and moved that fat up. In the end my abd. hurt way more then my chest. Can't decide what to do (or not do) about nipples but I can tell you this...noone is touching me till the fall.
Best,
Leah
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.thechemobag.com
Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
'lizbeth

wow Leah,

I am so envious that you have had your reconstruction and that the PS used abdominal fat to enhance the girls.

I can't believe you did a mud run, what a stud muffin!

Additional treatments:

Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
LeahM

'lizbeth I should come clean here...yes...I did a 5k mud run...but is was a FUN mud run, not a HARD mud run...
www.godirtygirl.com
And...had I known how much the lipo would have hurt I wouldn't have agreed to it. I had some pocketing and rippling of the skin with the expanders and my PS told me that that would most likely happen with the implants too. To avoid a second OR visit I agreed to the lipo if he felt it would be needed during the surgery on May 8. But ouch ouch ouch...today is the first day since the surgery that I am not wearing elastic waisted pants and I don't really know if I will get thru the day without changing!
www.thechemobag.com
Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
'lizbeth

Oh still that looks tough, lol. I just came back from a 6 mile hike. I am soooo fat and the weight is going the wrong way on the scale. Pffft, not happy about that.

Well, I'm sorry about the pain. I hope that the girls turn out to be just adorable and worth the discomfort in the end.

Additional treatments: