HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 12-15-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
dawbs

reaction to first dose of herceptin

I too am in Australia (Queensland) and had that sort of reaction to my first dose 15 months ago. I had fevers chills and rigors and couldn't even speak as I would bite my tongue when I tried to. My back (where the secondaries were) ached, my temperature, BP, pulse rate, oxygen sats all fluctuated wildly, and I was very short of breath, so I was put on Oxygen and given all the premeds. Things settled over the course of 40-50 minutes and I have had no trouble since. My oncologist told me it was good thing..... it was a cytokine reaction to dead tissue as the herceptin killed off all the tumour cells. So I took solace in the knowledge that I was a "good responder" and I haven't looked back since.

Hope this helps

Vicki
dawbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 AM   #2
hermiracles

Wow - thanks folks for all your great information and support! That is so helpful
I am seeing my local Onc tomorrow to discuss the next step in relation to Herceptin and Taxotere ( I think) - will let yous know how I go.

Feeling a lot more hopeful as I was worried they might say no to Herceptin because of the reaction - but looks like I should still be able to have it with the right pre-med etc.

Thanks!
Blessings
Hermiracles
09/07 Stage 2 bilat. mastectomy R/ b. clear extens DCIS/IDC Paget’s 8 nodes clear ER(<5%) HER2+++ CT clear
11/07 Portacath - FEC
15/11/07 Stage 4 Emerg op - hip replacemt #NOF bone mets H/Taxotere
12/07 Rx to 'spots' on spine/R/hip/femur 3wkly H
2008 H+T mets to rib/sternum? Aredia CT clear! Cont. H + Aredia 07/08 1 wk Palliative Care - mets to lungs + ?1 to brain
09/08 Stop H complete Epirubicin 1wk PC new brain mets
10/08 2wks WBR 1wk PC 22/10/08 Tykerb/Xeloda 12/08 6 CEREBRAL METS COMPLETELY GONE! Rib mets down to <1cm.
01/09 Tumour markers normal! Rx to L/arm
03/09 LUNGS CLEAR (ALL NODULES GONE!), brain clear, liver clear. Bones stable! ~ THANK YOU GOD
07/09 Repeat CT Scan ~ ALL organs clear apart from bones which remain stable. I walk in gratitude.
hermiracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Crystal
This message has been deleted by Crystal. Reason: duplicate
Old 01-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Crystal

Herceptin

Thank you for posting all this information. I will be starting Herceptin after my last chemo treatment tomorrow. Yay me! I had trouble with my chemo at first and have had to change meds and up steriods to deal with the side effects. I hope I don't have to go through all that again with the Herceptin.
Glad to hear you will more than likely be able to continue. I look forward to hearing what happens. God bless you.
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
hermiracles

Hi Crystal - just to let you know I did go ahead with the Herceptin again and all went well with appropriate pre-meds and a slower infusion.

Hope the Herceptin goes well for you too.
Blessings
Hermiracles
09/07 Stage 2 bilat. mastectomy R/ b. clear extens DCIS/IDC Paget’s 8 nodes clear ER(<5%) HER2+++ CT clear
11/07 Portacath - FEC
15/11/07 Stage 4 Emerg op - hip replacemt #NOF bone mets H/Taxotere
12/07 Rx to 'spots' on spine/R/hip/femur 3wkly H
2008 H+T mets to rib/sternum? Aredia CT clear! Cont. H + Aredia 07/08 1 wk Palliative Care - mets to lungs + ?1 to brain
09/08 Stop H complete Epirubicin 1wk PC new brain mets
10/08 2wks WBR 1wk PC 22/10/08 Tykerb/Xeloda 12/08 6 CEREBRAL METS COMPLETELY GONE! Rib mets down to <1cm.
01/09 Tumour markers normal! Rx to L/arm
03/09 LUNGS CLEAR (ALL NODULES GONE!), brain clear, liver clear. Bones stable! ~ THANK YOU GOD
07/09 Repeat CT Scan ~ ALL organs clear apart from bones which remain stable. I walk in gratitude.
hermiracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
lilyecuadorian

great Hermiracles hope the next herceptin is less reaction ....then this one ....but as long you can get it that is all matters ...
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
Bubble

Hi,
Just wanted to add that I too had a similar experience.
I am on Herceptin + Navelbine. Theyhad not yet started any of these - at the start of the day, they were giving me pre chemo (saline with anti nausea etc). The infusion was slow. The nurse came and increased the flow. Within 5 minutes - I statred shivering unconrollably - the rigors- entire bodywas xshaking and then my temp shot up to 103 degress F.
My oncologist suspected that my port was infected and put me on serious antibiotics and I have been fine since. I do think that the speed of the infusion had something to do with the problem.
Hope you are doing fine now.
Love
Bubble
Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote