HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Britbee

4th chemo Taxotere/Herceptin having trouble

Having been through three chemo cocktails and made it I am now on the second part of my treatment. I am having trouble with a barrage of side effects from this particular one. Mentally.
I was told I would probably experience joint pain. That as long as my temperature was stable I could go ahead and use Tylenol to help with it. Ok so what if your temp is up? Mine was never high enough this week to warrant a hospital visit but it was high enough I did not want to mask it by taking pain killers. So. I suffered. Could not sleep because my legs and back were aching.
Had a lot of trouble with my mouth the last chemo session so they gave me a mouth wash to take care of that.
I have huge random bruises which they also said would appear. My nose is dripping like a tap but ZI do not have a cold.
Now this is starting to sound like a big whine but honestly I am usually a pretty tough old gal. Don't know why this time has just done me in. Yesterday I sat down and just cried and cried, couldn't stop.
The mere thought of having to go through all this again in just two weeks is almost more than I can bear.
I know a lot of you ladies have already go through this. Please help me.
Lobular carcinoma in situ focal
Paget's disease of nipple
One of 12 axillary lymph nodes with metastatic carcinoma
Negative for extranodal extension
Metastic tumor deposit measures 1.5 cm in maximal dimension
ER 0/8 PR 0/8
Her2 +
Treatment node positive HER2+ breast cancer treatment
Chemotherapy FEC-DH
Herceptin for remainder of year.
Chemo starts November 25th 2011.
Blog: http://importanceofmammograms.wordpress.com/

Britbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
sarah

Re: 4th chemo Taxotere/Herceptin having trouble

sorry you're having so much trouble. I had terrible skin sores on it. My oncologist put me on a lower dose 1 day every week for 6 months, he said I would tolerate better that way. He may have had a good idea there rather than a more powerful dose every 3 weeks. Maybe talk to your doctor to see if that would help. I don't know anything about the temperature issue.
take care
health and happiness
love sarah
Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
NEDenise

Britbee,
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. I was almost exactly where you are...about 6 months ago...the joint and bone pain from the Taxol (similar to Taxotere) was agonizing. I sat and cried too. I was terrified to go back after only two weeks too. I was taking a prescription painkiller (oxy-something) and was still in the type of pain you are describing.

It wasn't until I told the oncologist that I was considering not getting the next infusion, for fear of the pain, that she advised me to take Advil...600 mg every 6 hours...that I agreed to continue. She too had been concerned about masking a fever, but weighed the alternative and conceded.

It did not relieve the pain entirely, but it took it down to a dull ache. I could sleep...I didn't feel like crying all the time...it allowed me to get the rest of my infusions.

So...I guess I want to tell you two things...YOU ARE NOT A WHINER!!!...this pain is real, and worse than any pain I've ever had (including migraine and childbirth!) And second...please tell your doctor ASAP so you can get some relief. This kind of pain is not good for you, your heart, or your emotional health. Many people have no pain at all from these drugs, so your doctor may not even realize you are suffering so much if you don't speak up. Don't be "brave"...I can tell you tend toward that...get the relief you deserve.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I'm so sorry you've been dealing with this. Please let us all know how you make out.
Denise

PS- Love your avatar picture! What a great smile!
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Becky

I think that Herceptin itself causes fever in a few women. It is immuno therapy and can do this - especially the first dose which is what this is. Taxotere or any taxane causes the nerves to fray which is why you are experiencing the joint pain and your legs probably feel like rubber bands. At this point, you can probably use OTC pain killers. Take some and then take a nice soak in the bathtub. Just totally visualize a really nice place and close your eyes and let the discomfort soak away. If you are only allowed to take Tylenol and it ends up not working well for you, ask your doctor (even today - call and ask) if you can take Advil or Motrin instead. Take your temperature before doing anything to make sure its not up. In general, taxotere is not as bad on the counts as FEC, AC or if you had the taxotere with Carboplatin (Carbo is bad on the counts - counts meaning white blood cells).

If you call the doctor service - do it now since it is Super Bowl today (just to be nice). But call!!!! You are paying them to care for you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
karen z

I have been where you are. I am guessing most of us have. I know how hard this is and how tough you are. Talk to not only your oncologist but the chemo nurses as they often can give you more time and more advice. Do anything you can to treat the "symptoms" as they appear (I was addicted to sucking on hard candies due to mouth dryness and a horrible taste in my mouth). Try to read highly enjoyable books (sounds ridiculous but I am not kidding), try to watch comedies (this is not the time to NOT have a lot of cable options), get yourself a rocking chair and sit outside when you can or be outside when you can (I know you are in Canada but try as long as you can). Try to distract yourself and realize that each cycle brings you closer to the end of the cycles. I was like a prisoner counting off the days (literally). I am not saying I was miserable (I was) but I wish I had tried to distract myself more- that is, when I had the energy too. Get a message, get a foot massage, indulge yourself when you can. Make the clock move ! Try to do something you have not done before (draw/paint/make easy jewelry). You've got to make the clock move.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
mmoons

Britbee-

I can just feel your pain in your words. This is such a tough road...and I am so sorry for your troubles. It never helped me much to hear "it will get better" when I was in the thick of it. Please hang in there and stay the strong, resiliant fighter that you are. Let those tear flow and wash away some of the misery. I am a believer in the power of a good cry.

I am sending you healing thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Livefor mykids

You sound exactly like me on my 3th round! That was my worst one and it was right before the holidays. Was so terrible and emotional! You will get through it! I am just starting to get over the effects of my 5th!! WOO HOO infusion! and I am now happy to say in 2 weeks is my last Chemo Infusion! It is amazing how strong and resiliant we can be. Youwill get through it! You will be Strong! You will look back and think HOW the Hell did Ido that! If you ever need to vent please inbox me. I have and still do feel the same emotions! The closer to the finishe line you get it does get better! Sending hugs your way!
Livefor mykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
BonnieR

There is a saying "when you are going through Hell, keep going"
I remember feeling just as you do right now. I think part of what helps in these situations is remembering that they won't last forever. They are temporary.
I feel a bit hypocritical because I DID stop the chemo after 4 rounds but my onc made the call due to increased neuropathy. I was expecting to ride it out...
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
chekmark

I did not experience the joint pain until later with the herceptin but it was so uncomfortable, but I remember wanting to quit chemo after the third as well due to just feeling so stinking crappy and miserable. I never got sick but felt well I cannot actually explain how I felt but it was horrible.You all know. Then I had #4 and then 5 and then 6 and then it was over and a huge sigh of relief. I found for me it was alot of mind over matter, as I neared the end I found it alot easier, maybe cuz I knew is was nearing the end. I hope it gets easier for you. I would hesitate on telling my oncologist or staff stuff cuz I didn't want any set backs or trips to the hospital, when I did tell them they would always tell me that is normal and what to do. It helped. You need to be comfortable. Cancer treatment does so much to us and I am still discovering things everyday. It sucks. I recently had a cold and it took 2 weeks to shake it, minor compared to what others have gone thru but I used to shake a cold in 3 or 4 days tops. Bonnie said once that she thinks we should be exempt, I agree. Hope you are feeling better soon. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
CoolBreeze

I am having extremely bad joint pain, and due to an infection I've been off chemo for a few months and the pain has gotten much much worse! I am still doing herceptin though. My doctor said the joint pain is probably "estrogen addiction." Some women (maybe those suseptable to breast cancer?) really require a lot of estrogen to function and take that away, and you get the pain.

My joint and muscle pain is so bad that I can't put weight on my ankles, knees, hips in the morning easily and I can barely move until the pain medicine kicks in. I walk around hanging on to stuff like a 90 year old. I get oxycontin and I think it's time for you to ask your doctor for something stronger. I do not find the oxy makes me dopey or high or anything and it mystifies me why any junkie would want it so don't be scared. He may start you on something milder though.

You have cancer, you need to have your pain treated.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
NEDenise

Britbee...
How are you?
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Mary Anne in TX

Asking for help is so wise. Keep asking. I took taxotere and adriamycin as my first combo. Thought I'd die for sure. When it got so bad I couldn't stand it, I'd go out by the water (lived near the Gulf then) and just cry and cry for a bit. Then I'd come in, rinse my mouth with warm salt water, take a couple of aspirin and get mad and determined not to be defeated. Do what you have to do to unload the pain and awful feeling...hollar if you need to. You can do this. But everyone is right, ask for help from the doctor or nurse and pamper yourself however it best serves you. Best wishes. It will be the last one soon. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Britbee

Thank you all for your comforting words and helpful replies. I went to see my oncologist today and he has taken down the dosage of the Taxotere to 70% as he said the numbness in my fingertips told him he gave me too much. That was just one thing I had wrong with me, I think I went down the whole list of side effects. However I am much happier now as he also gave me some meds to combat the aches and pains so this time should not be as harsh. The last three weeks were really terrible here is hoping for a better three weeks ahead then only one more dose before straight Herceptin. Yeah!
Lobular carcinoma in situ focal
Paget's disease of nipple
One of 12 axillary lymph nodes with metastatic carcinoma
Negative for extranodal extension
Metastic tumor deposit measures 1.5 cm in maximal dimension
ER 0/8 PR 0/8
Her2 +
Treatment node positive HER2+ breast cancer treatment
Chemotherapy FEC-DH
Herceptin for remainder of year.
Chemo starts November 25th 2011.
Blog: http://importanceofmammograms.wordpress.com/

Britbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
Paty

Dear Britbee,

Some of the side effects you have, I also had during my treatment, I also cried because I felt miserable. Things will pass and pain will go away, This side effects are normal because of the medecines. During herceptin I always had a running nose and joint pain. Things will pass, let them flow and if you want to cry, cry and relax. Things will be better soon.
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
chemteach

Maybe this is why my feet and legs are achey and not the way they should be. Or maybe I'm still recovering from the bunion surgery I had just before my diagnosis. I thought I was being a big baby about the aches, but it seems very common. Thank you for posting. Britbee, stay strong, take those meds, and it will be behind you soon. We're all in this with you.
9/19/2011 Started TCH every 3 weeks, TC for six cycles, Herceptin for 1 year

May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun....
chemteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #16
KsGal

I've only had two treatments, but I have a lot of the same side effects as you have. I've threatened to quit chemo, threatened to quit my job...all kinds of things. This round I got sores in the corners of my mouth, and an infection in my jaw...just to add to the others. I certainly feel your pain. Even though I know, being stage IV, I probably have more chemo to come, I sure am looking forward to this being over with. Big hugs to you..make sure to keep your doctor and nurses updated on all your symptoms, and take whatever help you can get from wherever you can get it.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
Vicki revised

4th was worse than the previous 3 and the 5th was worse than the 4th. I had every side effect and complication possible. By that point chemo has built up to a hign level in your system.

Hang in there
Vicki revised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #18
Cheryl D

I feel for you, I too did taxotere and thought it would kill me and if it didn't I wanted to do it myself, lol.

Drugs and rest are your best friends at the moment, with the drugs use them as much as can be safe and always keep topped up.

I actually asked one of my oncs. why they don't put us in induced comas for 6 months so we don't feel any of this stuff.

Last edited by Cheryl D; 03-13-2012 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Cheryl D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #19
Pray

God bless you Britbee keep your hopes high I'm thinking of you and praying the rest will go well.
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
Emelie B

Good morning,
I remember being right where you were. So glad you talked to your doctor and they gave you something for the pain. You are so close to the end of the heavy duty stuff, so take hot baths, keep on top of the pain, and be kind to yourself.
I listen to my Ipod and it always puts me in a better space.
Best regards,
Emelie
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote