HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
lindaw

Dear All

Does anyone know if it is absolutely necesary to have steroids with navelbine. I feel I may be going on to it next but have already developed osteonecrosis from the previous steroids.

Thanks
love
Linda
Old 03-07-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
Patty Hall

I never had any kind of premeds with navelbine and I never had any problems. It was the easiest chemo I have taken. After a few months on it, I did start getting tired but that was all. While on it, I used a humifier because it did dry me out. Patty H
Old 03-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
SueF2

I've had 9 navelbine tx. The only thing I get with it is Zofran (anti-nausea) and, every 4th time, Zometa (for bones). I did have decadron previously with AC and Taxotere.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Lisa

I've been on Navelbine since Sept. and have never had steroids. I do get Benadryl beforehand since I had a bad allergic reaction on the first loading dose.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 03-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
lindaw

Dear Lisa
How long will you stay on it? Has it been effective?

love
linda
Old 03-07-2004, 07:01 PM   #6
lindaw

Dear SueF
Thanks for replying - has it been effective for you?

love
Linda
Old 03-07-2004, 07:02 PM   #7
lindaw

Dear PattyH

Was the navelbine effective for you?

love
linda
Old 03-08-2004, 04:12 AM   #8
Lisa

Linda,
Yes, Navelbine/Herceptin has been effective for me. So far, so good. Before I started, I was diag. with liver mets over 25% of my liver and bone mets spread many places. My last CT scan was in late Dec, and my liver mets were reduced 50%, my bone mets also gone in many places. My tumor markers continue a steady decline. I'm actually looking forward to my next CT scan (in late March) for the first time!

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 03-08-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
Ann in Boston

I have been on Navelbine/Herception since June of 03 and do not take any steroids or pre-meds. I had a tumor come back under my Tram Flap in the same location and size as my original tumor (I have IBC). So after nine months the combo has reduced my tumor by half from 8cm x 8cm to 4cm x 4cm. So it is working but slowly and fatigue is my biggest side effect.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:05 AM   #10
Lolly

Linda,
I didn't have steriods with navelbine/Herceptin, only Zofran for a few treatments then just Pepcid AC.It was very effective for me, in six months was NED. Side effects were so minimal, upset stomach and tiredness, some thinning of hair.
Hugs,
Lolly
Old 03-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #11
SueF2

Had a CT scan a week ago - after 9 tx, it remains the same as it was on 12/29/03. But no progression, either. Onc wants to keep me on it longer...may be a good idea since some here say they were on it a lot more than 2 months and then had shrinkage. I'm hoping...

Sue
Old 03-08-2004, 10:54 AM   #12
Lyn

Hi, I was on navelbine for over 12 months about 65 doses, the normal dose I believe is 6. I never had steroids and did not feel the need for them. With previous drug I needed them because I could hardly get out of bed, the way I describe it, is that I felt flat. I also needed more than the recommended 3 days worth I had my own bottle and took them for about a week. That was with AC, CMF and Taxotere. I found that I got the numb feet from the Navelbine and not the steroids. I have not had Navelbine since September last year and my feet are still numb in parts, so is my right ear and skull in that area, weird I know. Hope this helps.

Hugs Lyn
Old 03-14-2004, 08:52 AM   #13
Ann

I have just started Navelbine and Herceptin 2/03 and am SO thrilled to hear all of your positive responses! I am not on any steroids. I had a minor flu reaction with the loading dose but have been fine since. I'm experiencing some insomnia (aren't we all?)but that's it.

Thanks to all of you for your love and strength that you have shown all of us on these pages. I was terrified when I found what HER-2 positive meant. I have HOPE now!