HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
Lyn

Question, has anyone felt like not eating or drinking after radiation and then been put in hospital to be rehydrated, if so how did you cope?

Hugs Lyn
Old 03-10-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
Janice

Yes, I was in the hospital fordehydration during the longest period of radiation which I had, 33 rad treatmennts. About halfway through, developed fever of 102-103 and open blisters in the rad area. So the radiation oncologist admitted me for 48 hours for rehydration and treatment with IV antibiotics as the blood work showed a sepsis of some sort. I do remember this period of time as being about the most ill I have ever been throughout the course of cancer treatment. After two days with IVs in-hospital and 14 days at home on two different kinds of antibiotic, I felt pretty well. Are you having problems with dehydration during your rads?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
carla

Lyn:
I did not go to the hospital, but we called the dr. at 6 a.m. because I had terrible pains in my back and legs. The dr. told us to go to the ER and let them do X-Rays. It was probably a spinal compression. I didn't go to the hospital because the pains went away (mysteriously). Later that day, I was having lunch with a friend and telling her what happened. We both realized about the same time that I was very dehydrated and I had had bad back and leg cramps. I knew that I had not been drinking nearly enough water because I didn't want any--maybe a coke every now and then but no water. I don't know why that happens, but I've had to make a real effort to drink water. Also, when you get dehydrated, your potassium level drops. I drink Tri-Salts (which I wasn't drinking when this all happened) which have potassium in them. I've not had another recurrence of cramps like I did, but I've had crampy feelings in my feet and hands. When that happens, I drink the salts and try to drink more water. I finished WBR in jan. and I feel that I have a long road ahead before I feel reasonably normal. Hope this helps-
Carla
Old 03-12-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
Lyn

Thanks for that, the best thing is you have recovered, and I am reaaaaly pleased about that, and I am praying that you get over this hurdle real soon.

Big Hugs Lyn
Old 03-12-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Lyn

Thanks for that, I am not having problems but my friend was just in hospital for dehydration from spine rads and was also taking morphine. When you think about it, some of the druggies doing morphine look a bit skinny and ill so is it any wonder when us poor ladies have to take it to survive and would rather not have too, why would we feel like eating or drinking.

Big hugs Lyn