HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
Carlye

Hi ladies and gentlemen,
I don't post often but do read them everyday. I had a mastectomy in Sept. 2001 and did 6 rounds of AC and 6 rounds of Taxol and Rads. My tumor was 2.2 cm er/pr pos, grade 3 and her-2+++. Right now I am in the process of trying to get herceptin off my onco's normal protocol. I am 39 years old and my question is about having psysical issues after chemo. Generally I feel pretty well, but there are days I wake up and ache all over. It feels like the flu but does not last long at all. I can usually take some advil and it goes away pretty quickly. I am an athlete and work out daily, but I never experienced this before I had BC and taken chemo. Has anyone else experienced this after treatment. Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #2
Linda in Calif.

Hi Carley: I don't think it is very unusual to have various aches and pains after chemo. I had AC then Taxol with Herceptin. I experienced aching joints in my hips and elbows. If I sat too long in one place I had difficulty standing up and had to gradually straighten and move slowly until things "warmed up". Ibuprofin was a God send...it took care of most of the aches and pains. It's been about a year since my last chemo and the misc. aches and pains have faded over that time. I still have an occasional bad day where the pain seems to flare up but I'm hopeing that with time these will get further and further apart. I hope this has helped you...sometimes it's nice to realize that you are not alone. Take Care, Linda
Old 03-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
Steph N.

Yes - aches and pains were a problem for me - especially from the Taxotere. Flu-like was an understatement!
Second go round with Taxol and Navelbine also hit me pretty hard. I am about 20 months off all chemo, but still have joints flare up from time to time (currently it is my right wrist) and the odd ache, which I do not pay much attention to - just take a Naproxan.
I am not an athlete any more - but do exercise vigorously at least once a week with my cancer survivors group. Some of those gals who had some tough chemo also mention the occasional ache or pain. We all just suffer together!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #4
Terry

Hi Carlyie. Yes, I now suffer also with aches following chemo. I completed AC and Taxol in June of last year and am currently on weekly Herceptin. My neck, thumb, and hips ache often, but did not experience this before chemo. I practice yoga as often as possible and walk.
When I don't keep moving, everything stiffens up moreso. I'm 46 and in good shape but sometimes feel like I'm 80! HA HA

I take Vioxx. The Vioxx works very well for me and find that I only have to take one every other day as it seems to stay in my system and keep the aches away for 2 days. There are current studies underway for the therapeutic efforts of Vioxx for cancer patients. Apparently it adds value to the system by keeping inflammation down.

I hope this helps to ease your mind.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:06 PM   #5
Lolly

Hi Carlye,
I had A/C and Taxol also, and then Navelbine/Herceptin, and had various aches and pains for each series. Sometimes it got pretty bad, but now, over 4 years out from A/C & T and almost 3 years since Navelbine, I feel fine most days. I still have the occasional day when I wake up with a very achy hip or lower back, but with anti-inflammatory meds I'm able to function normally. I usually have to take the meds for several days, then it all quiets down again. I can go weeks feeling fine, then for some gosh-darn reason my joints will flare up again. But overall, the episodes are further and further apart, so take heart as eventually you will no doubt feel you have your body back and are again in control. It takes time, just have to be patient!
Old 03-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
Carlye

Thankyou so muchhhhhh for all your replies!!
Sometimes it does put my mind at ease to know what I am feeling is somewhat normal for post chemo. (Normal??? Do any of us really know what normal is anymore LOL )
Old 03-14-2004, 03:11 PM   #7
Ann

I've been on Navelbine and Herceptin for just a month now and wondered why the achiness was back...I had it while on Taxotere a few months ago. It's nice to know that I'm not imagining these twinges - they seem to be worse when I'm quiet and laying in bed at nite. Anyone else have this?

Thank you again for this group - it sure helps each of us, doesn't it?