HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2004, 07:23 AM   #1
eric

I'm curious if anyone has had, or discussed with their doc, prophylactic brain radiation? A friend is a veterinarian brain surgeon who suggested this since the chemo drugs don't cross the brain barrier. Thanks...Eric
Old 03-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Sandy

That is a good question however, I think because of the side effect of brain radiation it wouldn't be good. I am interested to see what others have to say about this sensitive topic. Especially those that have had radiation. Hugs, Sandy
Old 03-14-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
patty z

I seriously doubt you'd find a doctor anywhere who would do this. Not even consider it.

The documents from the medical profession say: "The primary purpose of WBRT is pallation of symptoms".

WBRT is nearly archaic it has been used and around so long. Old treatments become so ingrained, SOP, many reasons I believe it is still prescribed 'off the cuff'...

There is much discussion as to "newer methods NEED to be found and used" as patients ARE living longer now because of other, better therapies for cancer...that the long term debilitating side effects are more and more an issue.

I was informed by a realiable researcher that in Sweden, they go straight to Gamma Knife and DON'T do WBRT. For one example.

pattyz