HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Lolly

Photodynamic Therapy Shrinks Tumors

Researchers Find Therapy Shrinks Cancer Tumors
http://www.news.ecu.edu/poe/404/pdt.html

Warning, this article contains some very "narly" pictures.
Breast Cancer With Chest Wall Progression: Treatment With Photodynamic Therapy
http://www.annalssurgicaloncology.or...t/11/3/322.pdf

Photodynamic Therapy: Story Of An "Orphan" Treatment:
http://www.cancerlynx.com/photodynamic.html
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
gdpawel

Photodynamic Therapy For Cancer

This article focuses on the use of PhotoDynamic Therapy (PDT) for illnesses and diseases. This treatment by light, unlike ultraviolet, infrared and the highly concentrated light of the laser, is said to offer a unique solution for those suffering from cancer as it does not require hospitalization, surgery, chemotherapy, radiation or immunotherapy.

The types of cancer currently being treated by PDT in clinics around the world include Melanoma, Brain, Head, Neck, Oesophagus, Lung, breast, Stomach, Pancreas, Liver, Colon, Ovarian and Prostrate. Pre-cancerous lesions (actinic keratoses) are also said to be treatable using PDT. This therapy can be used to treat not only superficial tumours but large tumours as well and is not contraindicated if other therapies, such as chemo, radiation, etc…are utilized concurrently with it.

According to the author, there is on-going research into the possibility of addressing other types of cancer. Research into other new types of photosensitizing agents is also being carried by Russian pharmaceutical company Radapharma which has developed Radachlorin (Photostem, PhotoFlora), which is a chemically treated form of Spirulina. And in places like the Ukraine, where PDT is well-accepted, herbs like St John's Wort are proving to be of particular research interest.

The Leeds Centre for Photobiology and PDT and the National Medical Laser Centre at the University College of London, PDT is also being studied in non-oncology related illnesses including the treatment of atherosclerosis and both rheumatoid and inflammatory arthritis, among other diseases.

The author concludes that a study for the treatment of Age-Related Macular Degeneration with PDT was performed in 22 centres in Europe and the US resulted in stable or improved vision in 61% of patients treated with PDT with virtually no side-effects.

http://www.positivehealth.com/articl...articleid=1831
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
lilyecuadorian

got a question ..it work if recurr on the same spot ? can they do this photodynamic therapy like they do gamma knife over and over ?? and get a good results a least controling ?
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Lolly

Lilly, one of the articles I posted mentions that one of the breast cancer patients treated with this therapy did have a tumor re-treated once, so it can be done, but I don't know if they can treat the same site over and over like is done with GammaKnife.

<3 Lolly

Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote