HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
hutchibk

Abortion/breast cancer linked

Oh, I know this is bound to be a hot topic, but I don't intend it to be a political or philosophical debate at all. I just want to share info that many may not have ever heard before, me included. (I personally don't fall in lockstep with either philosophical viewpoint, I have my own value system and beliefs that are gray area/independent of the two distinct paradigms.)

Following are 3 good links that offer the science and biology behind this risk factor, as well as birth control pills. Admittedly, the links tend to have a bit of a philosophical point of view, but are not heavy handed. Ignore any judgment and just read the whys and wherefores and biology of how it all creates a higher risk environment for breast cancer to develop.

http://www.abortionbreastcancer.com/The_Link.htm

http://www.lifenews.com/2009/01/01/nat-5850/

http://www.drwalt.com/blog/?p=3790

(Other than a few specific programs that I trust within Komen, I have become pretty wary of them in recent years. My new sticky points I have learned through this research is: 1. Why Komen affiliates donate over $750,000 a year to Planned Parenthood for providing mammograms, when PP doesn't provide mammograms. They only provide a phone # and address that women can go to for mammograms. 2. Why Komen contributes $3.3mil annually to their abortion services when they know about the connection to risk factors and they know that PP doesn't warn or council of the increased BC risk caused by abortions and birth control pills. )

Why do the NCI, the American Cancer Society, Susan G. Komen for the Cure and other cancer fundraising businesses make no efforts to reduce breast cancer rates by issuing nationwide warnings to women? It's a statistically significant 40% risk increase for women who have had abortions and is listed among "known and suspected risk factors.

"Obviously, more women will die of breast cancer if the NCI fails in its duty to warn about the risks of OCs and abortion and if government funds are used to pay for both as a part of any healthcare bill."

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 06-17-2011 at 09:31 AM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Abortion/breast cancer linked

Brenda,

I have a 'wild' thought - perhaps those orgnizations are aware of the raised breast cancer risk of abortion and try to offer their services to those who are running the 'high' risks?

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Lani

Re: Abortion/breast cancer linked--UNLINKED per American Cancer Society review

gives reasons studies are hard to do, summarizes results of best studies done to date:
http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastC...-breast-cancer
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
Lani

a few more studies reviewed:
Swedish Study

Since 1994, several exhaustive studies have found no tie between abortion and breast cancer. A 30-year Swedish study of 49,000 women indicated no link between abortion and breast cancer. Furthermore, the Swedish study did not suffer from an inaccurate reporting of medical histories because it was based on a national medical registry in Sweden and not based on interviews.

Largest Study Ever in Denmark, 1997

Published in 1997, a study from Denmark indicates no increased risk for women who had abortions when they analyzed medical histories of more than 1.5 million women. This larger more comprehensive study is persuasive because it does not rely upon interviews. Data came from Denmark's national health records, thereby eliminating the possibility of "recall bias." The study showed that even women who had two or more abortions were no more likely than those who never had an abortion to develop breast cancer.

The Danish study analyzed the abortion histories of 10,246 women with breast cancer among 1,529,512 women. A total of 370,715 abortions occurred in 280,965 women. Among the 2.3% of women who had abortions after the first trimester (after 12 weeks), the researchers found a gradually increasing risk of breast cancer as the stage of pregnancy advanced. However, researchers concluded that the actual number of women with second trimester abortions was too small to warrant a firm conclusion. In Denmark, abortions are both legal and free, so there are fewer reasons for women to have abortions after 18 weeks unless there are other medical problems. These other problems might themselves be the cause of the increased cancer rate.

Interestingly, women who had abortions prior to seven weeks of pregnancy actually showed a slightly decreased risk of developing breast cancer. But again, the actual number of women in this category is very small.

Also in January 1997, a Netherlands Cancer Institute study documented the existence of "recall bias" and concluded it was a significant factor affecting early studies on the link between abortion and breast cancer.

Other Published Reports: According to findings published in the January 2000 issue of Epidemiology, women who have had an induced abortion are at no more risk for breast cancer than their counterparts who did not have an abortion. Researchers at the University of Minnesota's School of Public Health-Division of Epidemiology and the Mayo Clinic examined a study sample of 1986-1995 data from 37,247 Iowa Women's Health Study participants ages 55-64, who, at the 1986 baseline, reported no history of breast cancer. Through 1995, 653 women underwent an induced abortion. The authors found that the age-adjusted relative risk of breast cancer among women with prior induced abortion was no greater than those who had never undergone an abortion, nor did the risk increase with increasing numbers of induced abortions. There were 438 cases of breast cancer per 100,000 person-years among women who reported they did have an abortion, compared to 392 cases of breast cancer per 100,000 person-years for women who did not have abortions. (Lazovich et al., Epidemiology, 1/00 issue). As reported by the Kaiser Daily Reproductive Health Report, Jan. 25, 2000.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Lauriesh

regarding the concern that no one is warning women of the risk, do you really think it would matter?

We all know there is increased risk from smoking, drinking, being overweight, etc, and yet, how many people heed those warnings.

If someone is in the position of deciding whether to have a baby or have an abortion, I can't imagine telling them they may have an increased risk of breast cancer in the future would really matter. It is such a life altering decision, and most of the women are so young, I can't imagine a nineteen year old who has gotten pregnant and has decided to have an abortion, changing her mind and deciding to carry the baby, with all the ramifications of that decision, because she may have an increased risk of breast cancer in her lifetime.

Laurie
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
hutchibk

This is the 2009 abstract that the data was confirmed... specifically in the first chart (you have to click on the chart to view it within the abstract).

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/18/4/1157.full

It is curiously coauthored by Louise A. Brinton of the NCI.
Brinton was the chief organizer for the 2003 NCI (U.S. National Cancer Institute) ‘workshop’ on ‘early reproductive events and breast cancer,’ a panel which reported that the lack of an ABC link had been established.
While the NCI maintains no abortion-breast cancer link exists, Brinton is the co-author of a study that appears to prove otherwise. Very curious.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Last edited by hutchibk; 06-17-2011 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
hutchibk

I personally believe that it must become a part of the vernacular, starting with adding it to sex-ed for girls. I think perhaps an entire section of sex-ed or health class at an appropriate age should be about breast cancer. Much like how we are taught that cigarette smoking is linked to lung cancer from the minute we find out what cigarettes are. I know it doesn't prevent all from smoking cigarettes, but it does create the overall sense that you are making a choice that can be a major health issue in your future.

I also believe the information should be given to women/young women by GYNs when counseled about oral contraceptives and whenever by whomever counsels women/young women about an abortion. You are right, it may not change their mind in the moment, but the info must be offered and NOT ignored by society. Abortion has become accepted enough to talk openly about, this must not be one of the "dirty little secrets" of abortion that is only muttered under one's breath.

Lani, looking at the biology behind it, and Dr. Dolle's study from 2009, it's pretty far fetched for me personally to consider data from the 80s to 2000. And the link you posted to the American Cancer Society's take on it (a 2003 report/study reference to the NCI panel) predates the new issue of this 2009 study, and the NCI research activist, who in the last year has backpedaled and now admits the link between abortion and breast cancer does exist.
More current research proving the connection: Age and induced abortion significantly associated with increased breast cancer risk. Researcher Vahit Ozmen from Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Department of Surgery, and Public Health Department; and Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC, Pittsburgh, USA http://www.wjso.com/content/7/1/37

A fantastic source for current research and links is Dr. Walt... this one is from 2010 titled: National Cancer Institute Researcher Admits Abortion-Breast Cancer Link True http://www.drwalt.com/blog/?p=1419

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Last edited by hutchibk; 06-17-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
KDR

I once read somewhere that the hormones stimulated during pregnancy and left "suspended" via abortion are suspected to ignite breast cancer as much as any other risk factor. I couldn't tell you where I read it, or quote it even; however, I do believe it.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Debbie L.

I have learned that there is no point to discussing abortion. At least for we "mature" women -- we have figured out by now where we stand on this one. I honor each individual stance. I have my thoughts, and you have yours, and we each want the best for those who come after us. Let's let that be.

As far as breast cancer risk factors, there is really no need to even talk about this -- abortions MAY be just one more "risk factor", whether valid or not -- another one that is SO damn small that it would not be even worth mentioning, if we had some stronger risk factors to talk about, imho. And I doubt that at this point, we're going to find one single (or even a few) risk factors that are reliable causes of breast cancer. It's a crap shoot.

So far, ALL risk factors are in that same miniscule category (BRCA+ or strong family hx excepted). Those miniscule risk factors are so often quoted in the media that most people think they are important (no childbearing, late childbearing, not breast feeding, blah-blah-blah).

But I'd wager that the majority of us on this list, with a diagnosis of HER2+ BC, and many with mets -- had NONE of the most-often-noted risk factors. That's what statistics show -- that breast cancer is mostly totally random. The "risk factors" that we know (BRCA+ and strong family history excepted) are so minor as to be barely worth mentioning.

Debbie Laxague

HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Jackie07

I do not know about the 'philosophical' point of view of this journal. But here's an abstract of the latest European research on the subject - There's 'no link':

Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2011 May 11. [Epub ahead of print]
Misinformation on abortion.

Rowlands S.
Source

Institute of Clinical Education , Warwick Medical School, Coventry , UK.

Abstract

Objective To find the latest and most accurate information on aspects of induced abortion. Methods A literature survey was carried out in which five aspects of abortion were scrutinised: risk to life, risk of breast cancer, risk to mental health, risk to future fertility, and fetal pain.

Findings Abortion is clearly safer than childbirth. There is no evidence of an association between abortion and breast cancer. Women who have abortions are not at increased risk of mental health problems over and above women who deliver an unwanted pregnancy. There is no negative effect of abortion on a woman's subsequent fertility. It is not possible for a fetus to perceive pain before 24 weeks' gestation.

Misinformation on abortion is widespread. Literature and websites are cited to demonstrate how data have been manipulated and misquoted or just ignored. Citation of non-peer reviewed articles is also common. Mandates insisting on provision of inaccurate information in some US State laws are presented.

Attention is drawn to how women can be misled by Crisis Pregnancy Centres. Conclusion There is extensive promulgation of misinformation on abortion by those who oppose abortion. Much of this misinformation is based on distorted interpretation of the scientific literature.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
hutchibk

When I see conclusions to studies and researchers stating that "These findings suggest that age and induced abortion were found to be significantly associated with increased breast cancer risk" and "Daling studies from '94 and '96 showed between a 20 and 50 percent increased breast cancer risk for women having abortions compare to those who carried their pregnancies to term" and "Dolle’s team reported in Table 1 a statistically significant 40% risk increase for women who have had abortions and listed it among “known and suspected risk factors" and a researcher from the NCI recanting a previous pronouncement and stating there is a known risk factor... ~ I personally can't write it off or down play it to protect a philosophy or avoid philosophical differences. As I said in the initial post, I didn't post this to create any political or philosophical debates. I posted it to share even further info about an avoidable risk factor.

Aren't we preached to day in and day out these days to personally practice preventative medicine to stay as healthy and dire diagnosis free as possible? That to me includes sharing ALL of the known risk factors that can lead to a disease. One key is knowing all of the avoidable risks. If not having an abortion is a way to avoid a risk, then I would say girls, young ladies and women need to know about it.

Considering the 'often noted' risk factors... being over ideal weight, conventional hormone injected diet, no regular exercise, excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, exposure to estrogen, stress and anxiety, age, family history, no pregnancies or breastfeeding, DES esposure... then I had the conventional diet, lack of exercise, extra exposure to estrogen and no pregnancies risk factors, and I don't know about DES exposure, but I suspect it was entirely possible, being born in 1959. Add those together and I am definitely in a higher risk category. And my onc agrees.

I am betting that most of us didn't know much about conventional dietary concerns much before diagnosis, or the risks of dietary estrogens that we probably consumed tons of unknowingly, or that our bodies are programed to have a child and breastfeed before we are 30, or that we needed to continue exercising regularly beyond our teens/early 20s, or the ramifications of partying in college and/or drinking 2-3 glasses of wine 3-4 days a week... that all of these things added together would increase our risks of one day being dxed w/ breast cancer. And there is no guarantee that being extremely smart and knowledgeable about everything that is a risk factor and avoiding every single one of them will protect us from ever getting a diagnosis... but then why follow through with BRCA testing. Not everyone who is BRCA positive gets breast cancer. And not everyone who smokes their whole life gets lung cancer. And not everyone who gets lung cancer ever smoked. So then, why even tell folks about the risk factors?

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Last edited by hutchibk; 06-18-2011 at 09:23 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #12
Unregistered

Just saw heading and have not had time to read all info but was wondering if having a miscarriage would be classed the same? I've has 3 miscarriages...

Sue
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
hutchibk

Once you read the biology, it seems to me to indicate, sadly, that interrupted pregnancies can be one risk factor involved in contributing to an environment for breast cancer. I could be reading it wrong, but I don't believe so. I don't know the statistical difference between induced interruption or natural interruption... you can probably find it somewhere.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Last edited by hutchibk; 06-18-2011 at 09:59 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
KDR

Brenda,
This is exactly what I read, maybe two years ago, or so. It seems an interrupted pregnancy, intentional or unintentional, does create yet another risk for breast cancer. To what degree? No one yet knows but data suggests a link. I think breast cancer rates are the highest in countries where abortion rates are also high? Can't remember, but I for one, regardless of my stance on abortion, believe this data could be sound.
Also, anyone privy on HPV strains and breast cancer association?
Thanks for posting.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
bejuce

Actually I remember reading a while back that the highest abortion rate is in Vietnam, where breast cancer rates are low...

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
hutchibk

Admittedly, there are many characteristics to be taken into account... and potentially ethnicity plays a role first before other risk factors kick in.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
LoisLane

Debbie excellent post, well said. Love and good wishes to all. Lois
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #18
sarah

Maybe it's the dairy!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
hutchibk

I absolutely agree and believe that the hormones in conventional milk and dairy products are contributors in the dietary risk factors.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 06-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
Rich66

Before my mom recurred, she was mainlining coffee and regular milk... Too bad giving birth to me didn't prevent this crap (on a crapstick).
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote